• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolved

Reaction score
Nice pickup for that price especially. I use saddle soap to clean mine and treat with Obenhaulf's HDLP, they are totally water proof now. I found them to be hardly water resistant out of the box. The key is to use thin coats and melt it into the boot completely. It looks like your punch outs may be missing dye and if that is the case HDLP will help fill them in. But if your just using it as a city dress boot then normal treatment should work fine. I use mine as boots, at least the brown CXL ones and the black bayfield I use for dress. Had to go back to around page 150 but found the post where someone used Reno, AE conditioner and chili paste to clean his. It worked very well:

I think it's just the flash and the picture (iPhone 4 camera) because I just went upstairs and looked and they don't appear to be missing dye. After some reading I think I may end up using Saphir Reno for a conditioner/cleaner first, and then put a coat of AE's aqua care lotion on there for some water resistance. I'll see how that works, and if it's not satisfactory to my needs I'll probably go the HDLP route. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
New Allen Edmonds Boot
I was at my local menswear / shoe store and they were showing me photos of a new boot that is supposed to be out this Fall. Think McTavish boot - wingtip low/medium rise balmoral boot with Rough Collection double soles. The colors shown - blue (like Neumok), dark brown, and light brown (not as light at McTavish).
I'm looking forward to the Fall 2012 AE collection - from the previews I've seen, there are going to be some nice items available.
Chris
Sorry to resurrect this old post, but I'm very excited about AE possibly offering a navy wingtip boot. Did you by chance catch what last it is on?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little shoe care on my shell AE's. The Macneil have been without any care for a couple of months now and really needed some help. They typically see about one wear a week.

I love how well shell comes back with such little effort. I start by brushing to remove any loose dust & dirt. I follow that by wiping down with a damp cloth. Next comes a coat of renovateur followed by a good brushing. I end with a light application of saphir cordovan wax and a couple minutes of brushing.

I'll use renovateur again when they need it, maybe another 6-8 weeks. They probably won't need wax again for a couple months after that.

Before:

After:

Forgot to take a before picture of the Leeds but they were in pretty decent shape to begin with.

dancingbear

Reaction score
A little shoe care on my shell AE's. The Macneil have been without any care for a couple of months now and really needed some help. They typically see about one wear a week.

I love how well shell comes back with such little effort. I start by brushing to remove any loose dust & dirt. I follow that by wiping down with a damp cloth. Next comes a coat of renovateur followed by a good brushing. I end with a light application of saphir cordovan wax and a couple minutes of brushing.

I'll use renovateur again when they need it, maybe another 6-8 weeks. They probably won't need wax again for a couple months after that.

Before:

After:

Forgot to take a before picture of the Leeds but they were in pretty decent shape to begin with.

Love the color. Is this what you use?

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-cordovan-shoe-polish.html

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Didn't get much luck in its own thread, trying with AE crew.

-------------

Came across a pretty good deal on a pair of AE Player in black today:

How "should" I be wearing these?

Lurking around SF, it seems like the general consensus is that black is more formal, while wingtip/derby/medallion is more casual (correct me if I'm wrong).

So would you wear these with a suit? business casual? casual? or is this style combination something that came out of hell itself?

or am I just over thinking this
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
?

Thanks

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My initial impression is that you are over thinking the issue. It's a nice shoe. Wear it . . . with anything (maybe not shorts). See how you like it. Leave the deeper planning for later.

jjr4884

Reaction score
Didn't get much luck in its own thread, trying with AE crew.

-------------

Came across a pretty good deal on a pair of AE Player in black today:

How "should" I be wearing these?

Lurking around SF, it seems like the general consensus is that black is more formal, while wingtip/derby/medallion is more casual (correct me if I'm wrong).

So would you wear these with a suit? business casual? casual? or is this style combination something that came out of hell itself?

or am I just over thinking this
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
?

Thanks

If the soles were black, I think they would look fine with dress pants for work, or anything business casual. Given the style and brown sole, jeans and casual pants most definitely. I could be wrong though, I am sure there are few business casual outfits you could get away with.

PunkinDonuts

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of black McTavishes at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale today, I'm excited to wear them to work tomorrow. I was tempted to get the Natural color as well, but I ended up getting some dress pants instead. I'm already debating on the Natural McTavishes or the walnut Strands for the next sale!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My initial impression is that you are over thinking the issue.  It's a nice shoe.  Wear it  .  .  . with anything (maybe not shorts).  See how you like it.  Leave the deeper planning for later.

I'd be bold and say even with shorts. :) I always wear my LWB and PTB with shorts and sans socks in the warmer months. Don't get me wrong, I wear loafers and bucks like others but I like the change-of-pace of nice sturdy shoes too.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will the Yuma and Amok boots be on sale during the Nordstrom sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads