Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

I feel like Obenhauf's HD will dull the finish entirely too much. I just need them to be weather resistant.....aka, not be ruined by light rain/snow/slush while walking around a city.

2. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

For those of you familiar with Saphir Renevateur (sp?), can it be used safely on some burgundy shell cordovan MacNeils to remove the build up of polish and allow me to get at some black polish/discoloration below the initial levels of polish? I have been using AE cleaner/conditioner, which AE web videos say is safe for use on shell, but it is taking forever to cut through the buildup on these ebay pickups that are probably ten to 20 years old. Love the shoes despite everything. But the right shoe seems to have a lot more buildup than the left. I'm still new to shell, so I don't know if the right shoe simply has some damage to the shell? Can you damage it other than through heavy scratching??
    Pictures below. Please note that the right shoe is still drying out from my cleaning efforts, and so is darker and not polished or shiny at all. I am reposting some photos from a week ago when I first got them and used AE cleaner conditioner to make them look pretty damn great! (FYI I have not applied any of the AE burgundy shell polish yet.)[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any thoughts? Thanks.

3. xMaximex

xMaximex Well-Known Member

I frequently use saphir renovateur on my shell cordovan shoes and yes, it can help getting rid of excessive wax. It is recommended in many threads on this forum.

4. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Despite what other people have said, I do not find that to be a problem of Obenhauf's HD LP. After the leather has completely soaked the LP in (give it a day or two, or at least overnight), wipe it boot with a dry cloth and then brushing them will get you a good shine. Granted, you won't get a mirror shine with the LP, but I find the shine produced by the LP fits Chromexcel leather very well. At least that's the case for my Wolverine 1000 Mile boot.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

To remove wax build up you want Saphir Renomat. Otherwise you can use spirit of turpentine available at any hardware store. Use it in small amounts and rub vigorously with a clean cloth. Post photos after your rehab.

If this is not to your liking, you can send them back to AE for refinishing.

6. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I'll take them off your hands :)

P.S. Sorry for my uninformative post.

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Ahh. That makes sense now.

8. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Saphir Renovateur should work great. Don't even need to use too much.

9. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Thanks for the comments on my question regarding renovating my shell Macneils.

However, one member said Saphir renomat and a few said renovateur. Which might be best for shell, or are they the same thing? Where should I purchase these Saphir products, KHP?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

How does that work? Just email them a link to Nordstroms sale and ask for a price match?

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They are not the same. Renomat is for removing the crud built up on the leather. Renovateur is a leather conditioner (you can also use Venetian shoe cream which is a favorite of Nick at Horween).

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-reno-mat-cleaner.html

12. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Renovateur is a leather cleaner as well but, more so, is an amazing leather conditioner.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The Hangar Project sells both. Not sure if you can use renomat on shell.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Shell is very hardy. Renomat will be fine. I use a finishing cloth with a light dab of turpentine (from Home Depot). Then finish with leather conditioner. However, if there is any doubt, just send the shoes back to AE. Specify refinish only if you do not need new soles, $50.

http://tinyurl.com/6nm6g6z

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Nice pickup for that price especially. I use saddle soap to clean mine and treat with Obenhaulf's HDLP, they are totally water proof now. I found them to be hardly water resistant out of the box. The key is to use thin coats and melt it into the boot completely. It looks like your punch outs may be missing dye and if that is the case HDLP will help fill them in. But if your just using it as a city dress boot then normal treatment should work fine. I use mine as boots, at least the brown CXL ones and the black bayfield I use for dress. Had to go back to around page 150 but found the post where someone used Reno, AE conditioner and chili paste to clean his. It worked very well:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.