• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
FYI - AE shoes are 40% off at Brooks Brothers today if anyone is looking for a Park Ave, Strand, Fifth Ave, or McAllister.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Well I already had to bend one little leg back as it was sticking out and damaging the leather. But the other are all properly bent but still seem sharp. What did you do? Try to sand them a bit? Coating?

yeah mine had that. i used pliers to bend the sharp edges back and a metal file for remaining snag points. a bit of a nuisance but less so than an exchange.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Mine are getting exchanged for a smaller size. Hopefully, the new ones won't have the issue. Try sanding.

Thx will try. I had the same issue on the first SD I had. The current ones are the ones I exchanged because they were too small ;) They are seconds though so maybe that's also why. Good luck!

Eyelets were chewing through the tongues of several of my AE boots (2 pairs EC, 2 pairs Dalton, Cascade); I tried sanding and filing, but both approaches just scuffed up the surrounding leather, with minimal effect...but since I have been changing sole colors on multiple pairs of shoes, I invested in a dremel rotary tool. Done and done - the tool is a godsend for smaller jobs requiring precision or small area sanding. Perfect solution. And, btw...this thread is languishing. Good god. To the 11.5E and 12D wearers, I'm going to be thinning out the herd very soon - will post a notice when i can get current pics for the maybe 5 pairs I'm looking to send to a great home. Every pair like new or new.

Al Dente

Reaction score
I used a metal file and no problems since, but the scratches are still visible on the CXL. Mink oil darkened the scratches some but they are still visible. Now I know to check all the metal parts before wearing the shoes.

MichaelKnight

Reaction score
The AE site suggests going 2 sizes up from your pant size for belts. Most of my pants are 32/33 but this is vanity sizing, I'm a true 34.5-35 waist. Anyone know what belt size is appropriate? I'm guessing to go by true waist size not vanity and hence 36. Thanks, would be ordering across the border so can't afford to return.

Cheers

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE site suggests going 2 sizes up from your pant size for belts. Most of my pants are 32/33 but this is vanity sizing, I'm a true 34.5-35 waist. Anyone know what belt size is appropriate? I'm guessing to go by true waist size not vanity and hence 36. Thanks, would be ordering across the border so can't afford to return.

Cheers

I always thought it was 2 sizes up from your typical pant size. I am normally a 32 in most pants (closer to a true 34) and I went with 34 in all my wide basic belts and they work great sized that way.

You could measure a belt you own from the buckle to the middle hole and call AE customer service and see if they could measure a belt for you to compare what might be best.

froyz25

Reaction score
My oxblood Daltons on their first trip outside of the box :)

Wifey with the shoe game!

Last edited:

CR78

Reaction score
Not sure if this is old news, but I went into an AE store yesterday to try on some Graysons and the sales reps told me that the Graysons and Randolphs are no longer going to be produced in their current forms; there will be 2.0 versions that are updated with lower vamps. That's disappointing to me, as I've always felt that lower vamp loafers have an effeminate vibe to them, though I understand that's just a matter of taste. I was told that the Graysons can still be made in shell upon order, which I what I'm looking for.

I'm usually a 9.5D on a Brannock, and due to the "revamping" of the models, sizes were incredibly limited in-store. I got a ton of heel slippage in a Grayson 9D while my toes were tight at the end, so I ordered a pair of 9.5C to try on, as I read that going narrower has fixed some people's heel slippage issue. I wanted to try a Randolph too but they had none at all in stock.

For those of you who couldn't get a good fit on the 7 last due to heel slippage, have you found yourself happy with the fit of any other sleek and light loafer? I sold a pair of C&J for RL "Rhett" shell loafers on here years ago that I couldn't get to work for the same heel slip issue, so maybe I just have a hard foot to fit...

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The AE site suggests going 2 sizes up from your pant size for belts.  Most of my pants are 32/33 but this is vanity sizing, I'm a true 34.5-35 waist.  Anyone know what belt size is appropriate?  I'm guessing to go by true waist size not vanity and hence 36.  Thanks, would be ordering across the border so can't afford to return.

Cheers

Standard belt sizing everywhere, not just with Allen Edmonds, dictates that you go to inches/2 numbers above your standard pant waist size. Yes, vanity sizing occurs with pants, but I find that this is almost universal. The exact amount by which the vanity size changes the actual measurement does vary slightly, but on average there usually tends to be a pretty good consensus. For instance, I am almost always wearing a size 32 in pants, and a 34 belt fits me every time.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard belt sizing everywhere, not just with Allen Edmonds, dictates that you go to inches/2 numbers above your standard pant waist size. Yes, vanity sizing occurs with pants, but I find that this is almost universal. The exact amount by which the vanity size changes the actual measurement does vary slightly, but on average there usually tends to be a pretty good consensus. For instance, I am almost always wearing a size 32 in pants, and a 34 belt fits me every time.

Co-sign.

rpearlberg

Reaction score
Yet another sizing question...

I have the Strand in 11D, fits great. McTavish in 11D, a little roomy, but still fit. Long Branch in 11D, a little roomy, but still fit.

I've tried the Fifth Ave in 11D and felt more roomy than my others shoes, but the 10.5D was way too tight. I also tried the 10.5E, but the width was too roomy. Is there another shoe in this style, but a different last that I should try? Or just go with the 11D like my other AE shoes?

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

Co-sign.

+1 - 32 pants, multiple AE size 34 belts, and I hit the middle hole every time...unless I'm wearing jeans that sit lower on my waist (or it's Thanksgiving).

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning, gents!

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Macneil 5...believe done on 65 last....one of the best offshoot AE offerings...golden brown cxl, contrast stitching, light welt and red dainite are all perfect

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whooooo, those are KILLER! totally forgot about MacNeil 5. Where's the coffee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52