• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradbrah

Reaction score
Just to add my experience - I wear the same size in both the 5-65 and 108 last.

Can find the original post, but someone was asking about the San Marco fit. I wear a .5 up from my 5-65 size. If you have a wide foot, you might consider going up in width as the tow box is pretty narrow. Works well for my narrow foot, but just something to keep in mind.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the 8 last is longer and narrower than the 5 last(?) Thanks for the info.

Not necessarily longer so much as narrower in the toe box. I found it to be roomier in the heel than the 5 last in the same size, so I decided to go down in length, but that decision required me to go up in width.

I can wear 8 E or 8.5 D in most lasts, it just depends on the particular shoe and style, and how I want it to fit.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my Park Aves with the Harrisons, which fit my high instep feet better.
So, LE, would you say that the Harrison is not the best choice for someone with a low instep/flat foot? There's a pair in my size on the shoebank that I have been resisting. the recent pics had me about to pull the trigger, but your post has me rethinking now.

CMR16

Reaction score

Digging my new Kirkwood's that came in despite getting the wrong color. Hell of a lot better than my Sperry's.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
So, LE, would you say that the Harrison is not the best choice for someone with a low instep/flat foot? There's a pair in my size on the shoebank that I have been resisting. the recent pics had me about to pull the trigger, but your post has me rethinking now.

I wouldn't say that. The Harrisons have a tad more room on the instep compared to the Park Aves. They fit my feet very similarly to csmitty's...

Source: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/56670_30#post_7735351

jfo2010

Reaction score
I tried on AEs two years ago but just now decided to commit and buy my favorite shoes during the anniversary sale. As I live far away from a store, I printed the sizing guide. I measure out to be just longer than 10.5 and on the W8/W9 border. Two years ago, the AE salesman measured me as 11D, but according to my sizing experience with the printed paper, I'm thinking I should be an 11C. Does anyone have similar feet and experience with the Strands? Or recommendations on whether to go with the D width versus the C width?

I measure 10.5C and wear a 9.5D in the 5 last. They are a little tight the first couple of wears but after that, they are perfect. For other lasts, 10D on the 108 and 606. For the 511, I wear 9.5D in boots and 10D in shoes. All a bit tight at first but I prefer it that way. My 1st AE was a merlot Mcallister in 10D. Afterwards I wished I'd gotten the 9.5D. I'm thinking about the Williams on the 222 but have never tried that last. I hear it's tricky and really narrow so I will probably have to try something in that last before I buy. If I had to guess, I'd say 9.5E.

If you talk to a SA, they can usually get you in the right size.

Last edited:

Wooderson

Reaction score

Received my Ralph Lauren Singletons in snuff suede and could not be happier with them. The fit seems to be spot on. I love the look of them.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Digging my new Kirkwood's that came in despite getting the wrong color. Hell of a lot better than my Sperry's.

So - 1.) would you still say they run short; and 2.) Hell of a lot better than sperry goldcup authentic original penny's? Really?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I measure 10.5C and wear a 9.5D in the 5 last. They are a little tight the first couple of wears but after that, they are perfect. For other lasts, 10D on the 108 and 606. For the 511, I wear 9.5D in boots and 10D in shoes. All a bit tight at first but I prefer it that way. My 1st AE was a merlot Mcallister in 10D. Afterwards I wished I'd gotten the 9.5D. I'm thinking about the Williams on the 222 but have never tried that last. I hear it's tricky and really narrow so I will probably have to try something in that last before I buy. If I had to guess, I'd say 9.5E.

Not sure if it's a 100% apples to apples comparison, but I own the Player in walnut calf which at least looks a lot like the Williams - I would agree with everyone else's feedback about the San Marco - the width was definitely on the narrow side. But with the Player, I easily took the same size as with the 65 last and it was fine. Little shorter, definitely not narrower.

Reaction score

Thank jfo. A local Nordstrom SA fitted me earlier at 10D (in between 10C and 10D actually) so I guess this is where I stand. Feels weird, as all my other shoes are at least size 10.5 except for size 10 boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads