1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Lol sorry. I should have been more specific. Well first is it possible for a shoe tree to strech out a pair of shoes by like half a size? If so, is it also possible to get them back to the way they were when I first bought them. It's because I have a pair of shoes that seem half a size bigger and I'm starting to think it's because of the shoe trees..

2. mosy

mosy Senior member

Can anyone let me know what last the AE Clifton's are on? And how does that last compare to the 65?

Also, being that these seem to only be available at Nordstrom, are these exclusive to them? Or are these simply a discontinued style, with Nordstrom being the last to have inventory?

3. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

A while back, I remember someone saying how their shoes always felt tighter after using shoe trees and asked if anyone else had the same experience. I do. Drawing the moisture out helps them keep from getting stretched. My shoes always seem to fit tighter than they did when I last took them off. Not saying it isn't possible for shoe trees to stretch a shoe, but I think it is unlikely, unless you are using the wrong size shoe tree. As much force as that spring in a shoe tree may appear to have, it isn't anything compared to the weight of a full grown man coming down and pushing every which direction over and over.

1 person likes this.
  4. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Thanks. Im a size 8D in almost any shoe and I use Nordstrom shoe trees. The Nordstrom staff always tells me that medium size trees is what I should be using.

5. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Not sure what last they are but a size 8D in the Clifton fits me good and I'm a size 8D in the 65 last (got the Park Avenues and Strands).

6. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

PSA
    It depends on the brand shoe tree I'm sure, but medium AE and JAB shoe trees fit my 9.5D's pretty tight. 7.5D should definitely be small, not so sure about 8D. Even then, I still think its normal wear and break in of calf that generally result in a larger shoe. Even if your feat are not in direct contact with the leather, pressure and force is being exerted over the whole shoe with every step (e.g. the toe receives forward pressure every time the vamp bends and the ball area expands and contracts with every step). It isn't just tight fitting shoes that expand with break in time, it is actually every leather shoe that will loosen to some degree or other.

7. 22busy

22busy Senior member

The Clifton is on the 108 last. I don't play around too much with different sizes. I'm a 10E in everything I've ordered. The strand is a bit tight on me in the instep, but great everywhere else. The Clifton and the Carlye fit me perfect.

I do believe this is a Nordstrom exclusive, but when Nordstrom was having a sale I went into an AE store and ordered through them and they price matched it.

8. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Assuming the 65 in 11EEE is not wide enough, yeah, it's possible you are SOL. My guess is that the 1943 is maybe a half-width narrower than the 65, so you would probably have to go up to at least 12 EEE.

Sorry man - I feel your pain. Really like the Corneallis, but haven't been able to make it work thus far.

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Wider at the ball has not my been my experience, but in fairness, the limiting factor in both lasts for me is the pinky toe. It's a bit off the footbed on the 65 (without sizing up) and is basically strangled on the 1943.

10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

That's a reasonable take, and I'm envious that the 1943 worked. Agree that the instep is different between the two - I have a long instep and the 65 doesn't accommodate that well.

Amen on the 333 and 108 - I'm bummed the 333 is going away.

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Sorry, I couldn't resist George Constanza.

I don't think it would be possible unless maybe during a complete resole, if they put the upper on a half smaller last???? I really have no idea how they could make it smaller. I agree, with the others, the tension put on by the trees is nothing (if I had to guesstimate less than 3%) compared to your foot, while walking and standing. That being said, do yo have to jam the tree into the shoe to the point beyond where the spring is fully compressed?

Also, I find I really don't like the Nordstrom trees as much as the Allen Edmond ones. The spring action on the Nordstrom doesn't seem as smooth, but maybe I just got a bad example, I haven't tried the J.A. Bank ones, but I have a feeling they're all made by the same company, maybe to different specs.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  12. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Ah, I knew I had read this somewhere! Based on this I had figured the 1943 would work for me, but it definitively did not.
    All I know is my own experience, but I have two shoes in the 333 and tried four in the 1943 (all 11D). The 1943 was narrower both by foot-feel and by direct sole-to-sole visual comparison. It's possible this is an issue only in my particular size, but it's been quite consistent for the 11D samples I have tried.

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I wear size 8D and all my shoe trees were small.

15. joman8390

joman8390 Well-Known Member

I found these at BCF, they look like Shaker Heights to me, but I couldn't find any black shaker heights online without a Harris tweed insert or without a combination tap sole. Also there is no Allen Edmonds logo or shoe name inside the shoe, only the sole has the Allen Edmonds logo.

Are these indeed shaker heights? Thoughts?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

16. joman8390

17. joman8390

18. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I am inclined to agree. However, Allen Edmonds used to haver their own separate cedar wood supply and factory as a vested interest in providing shoe care products, though I'm not sure if this is still the case.

From their cedar rack:

• Proudly made in the USA at our Port Washington, Wisconsin facility

And further "We started making cedar products 20 years ago, for the fact that when you make shoes that are timeless classics you should also make the highest quality shoe trees so that customers can protect and preserve their footwear."

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

E created and still owns Woodlore. They used to only make cedar stuff for themselves, but eventually broadened their market and now make shoe trees for many other companies, including Joseph A. Bank, and they sell their cedar products directly as well.

2 people like this.
  20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Oh joy. ANOTHER longwing. So far, AE has 4 different longwing bluchers, a hundred bazillion shortwing bals, and only a cheapo orthotic shortwing blucher.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.