1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Well that helps make sense of it then. Wish they made a regular topper that would fit my JAB shoe racks I got for $10 a piece last year.

2. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

New line up of long wings is McNeil, McGregor and this one. (the Larchmont and Boca Raton are discontinued)

New short wing blucher is Madison Park (AKA Player 2.0). Why it has yet to be introduced on the web may have something to do with their association with Nordstrom. The price is currently a jaw dropping 245 though.

3. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

However, I understand the frustration. Unlike most people here, I'm sure, the 65 fits me best and I would really like to see a short wing blucher in it to replace my Florsheims.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I was told that the McGregor is being phased out entirely. All the non-Dainite models are on clearance right now. I'd expect the Dainite ones to be put on clearance soon, too.

5. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Perhaps, but even if they are being phased out altogether, I expect them not to do so until this summer, after the foul weather has passed.

I really wish they would expand the dress loafer line, and not merely with the Grayson on a new last like this one.

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Well, Paul is a numbers guy for sure, so they've probably got solid concrete figures that factor into these decisions. I guess it's not as important for them to make sure they have every style of shoe represented in the lineup.

7. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Finally wore my Freiburgs outside for the first time yesterday.

[​IMG]

Wish I had my First Aves today though, since it dumped 3 inches of snow overnight. Hopefully I'll have them by the end of next week.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

What last is that Madison Park on?

I did a web search and the Nordies web page doesn't list the last. Looks 65 last to me, but I could be wrong.

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

In the spirit of AE appreciation, I'd like to offer a couple of anecdotes about AE's superior customer service:

(1/2) My first pair of AE shoes were walnut Strands (surprising, I know). I had initial qualms about the fit but got fitted multiple times and assured that 11D was the size for me and that the toebox tightness would resolve after the shoes were broken in. After a few weeks of occasional use, the issue was very clear; the footbed did not quite accommodate my two smallest toes (no roast beef and wee wee wee for those of you with kids). This was in clear evidence based on depressions in the cork and wear on the inside of the shoe; it was enough of an issue that I had certain socks I wouldn't wear with the shoes (tight fit + seam in wrong place = blisters). I took them in to the AE store from whence they came and explained the issue. After several attempted stretchings (in retrospect, likely doomed to fail because of the shape of my foot versus the footbed), they fitted me in an 11E and ordered replacements. A week later, I had brand-new Strands that fit perfectly. AE stood behind the purchase and took care of the problem (at zero cost to me other than a little bit of time). I'll note that the firsts weren't quite perfect (maybe halfway between firsts and seconds), but I'm more than happy with the result and will equate the small imperfections with comfort. Bravo Allen Edmonds - that is true customer service.

1 person likes this.
  10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

In the spirit of AE appreciation, I'd like to offer a couple of anecdotes about AE's superior customer service:

(2/2) I was fortunate enough to snag a pair of fire-sale Rutledge seconds after buying and loving a pair at a higher price. Cosmetically, the shoes were great, with one crease in the leather that is barely visible (probably a skin fold from the actual cow). However, after my first wear, a structural issue became apparent - the heels were seriously misaligned. If the shoe was on a flat surface and you pressed down so that the heel was flat, the ball of the shoe was something like 3/4" in the air. Effectively, the front edge of the heel was the only contact point for the back half of the foot. I took them to the AE outlet store that made the sale and explained the issue and they sent them in for a pair of replacement heels. The shoes came back with the same issue. I called the recrafting department and sent them back; this time a CS representative called back to make sure she understood the issue and to make sure she knew what I wanted, even offering a full recraft. I told her I just wanted the heels fixed; later that week, I had them back via fedex in perfect shape. Again, no cost to me and Allen Edmonds stood by their sale. That level of service is very much appreciated!

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I am considering getting a Bellevue chukka boot built on the 511 last as the Malone and Wilbert on that last worked for me. I would love to hear from someone who can say if the size on this boot runs the same as the 511 last shoes. I thought I would ask as the 201 last Freiberg did not work well for me even though I have shoes on the same last. Thanks as always.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Of course like all thing shoe related, I suppose that the last should have some affect, but the Chart on the back of the Nordstrom shoe tree box says, Small for an 8D. Go Staff!!!

13. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Lucky you! It jumped to +6C in Montreal today and it poured. All the nice snow is soaking wet now and I put on some non-AE and my wax jacket. In January! :(

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Is it true that the Mcgregor fit large compared to the other 65 lasted shoe? i always thought it was a great looking shoe

15. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

I use SMALL JAB shoe trees in all my AE shoes. I wear an 8D.

16. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

I like that. The weave in Dark Chili is on my radar.

17. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I'm not a fan on longwings in general, but the Leiden almost makes me mad. The Larchmont and Boca Raton totally don't fit my style, but I still found them sleek and well balanced on their own, and would appreciate them if I saw them on someone else's feet. The wings on the Leiden being so low and flat just makes it look bloated and dumpy to me.

Why this and still not the Player 2? > : (

18. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

It is on the 222. Go to shoebank and choose the 222 last as the additional option after initial size search. This was also the last of the original.

1 person likes this.
  19. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I agree with this bloated and dumpy observation when viewing the McGregor and the Leiden from the present angle and ankles aren't attached. I finally broke down and purchased the McGregors (Maiden outing hopefully tomorrow) because I realized they always looked good to me when I saw them in their natural habitat attached to someone's feet. Overall, I love the 1943 last (viewing this shoe from the top looks great), so perhaps these will look much better on someone's feet than you first imagine (black always looks worse to me as well on a casual shoe). Honestly, I kinda have the reverse feelings about the 333. I love my Universities, but they look clunkier to me on my feet than they do off of them. I think it has a lot to do with the waist not being beveled as it is on the 1943.

20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Not sure that's correct. Don't take that shoebank last filter as gospel - I've had it be wrong plenty of times.

The 222 is dead - my guess (95% sure) would be the 108.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.