1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Not targeting you specifically and you probably answered this way because of the way the question was, but I think it would be more helpful to also list your Brannock size, since some people go down a half size in length and up a width for the 5 last, or some of us just go with our Brannock size.

2. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Thanks for the info. Since you sized down, does the ball of your feet still align with the Franciscans' widest part of the forefoot?

3. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I wear an 8.5D in both, but I added a tongue pad to my Franciscans. They are very comfortable after wearing them a bit.

I will warn you, though, that the first pair I had delivered in 8.5D fit way too big. Apparently a manufacturing variance, but it was definitely not a good fit. My point being if the first 8.5D doesn't fit, try again.

4. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

My feet are 10.5 C on the Brannock device, 10 E on the 5 last (I have a slightly high instep), and 10 D on the Rogue, which has a roomier forefront than my shoes on the 5 last.

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

6. Churchill W

I would not be happy with his creasing though...

7. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Brown Fifth Avenues. $200 grabbed them up from the bank. Not perfect but I'm satisfied and they are very comfortable. My 1st pr of AE's btw..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

Anyone heard anything about a sale on boots (seconds)? I thought they did one around this time last yr

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I am standing here in my new pair of Mora 2.0 Bourbons, and had to share my experience, which is a repeat of my Franciscans that I posted a few pages ago.

They were just a tad roomy in my typical dress socks. They fit just right with my thicker socks. I had the SA put a pair of tongue pads in and they fit great. This is just a theory at this point, but I would seriously consier the notion of buying slightly oversized with the premise of pudding the pads in, as they are more comfortable with the pads than if I had just the right fit without them.

I'm only bringing this up as these pads seem to be an underutilized notion here in this thread, with all of the discussion about fit and feel.

10. Churchill W

My opinion, and it's just that, is if you need to use pads, then you can probably find shoes with a more optimal fit.

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@catlettsl congrats those look to be a terrific fit

12. garland

garland Senior member

I would disagree to a point. Tongue pads should definitely not be used as an excuse to buy an ill fitting shoe, but there are instances where they come in very helpful, particularly with loafers/monk straps. Feet are so wildly different, sometimes taking up a little space on the instep is all thats needed to make a shoe fit wonderfully.

1 person likes this.
  13. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

@kahuna75 thx

Funny you guys are discussing pads. My Fifth Avenues are a 12.5 D. After 1 day of use I realized I bought then a .5 size too large. So I put tongue pads in to push the foot back into the heel a tad and they feel perfect. I have really flat feet so they tend to become a tad wide at the front of the foot. I should've went with the 12D and let them either break in naturally or had them stretched a tad. But in some instance tongue pads are of great value especially since most of use are trying to save a few bucks and buy 2nds. Now if I was buying firsts, I would shop around until I got the perfect fit...especially at a $300 and up price point. Everybody's foot is different and alot of people have variations between feet...my left foot is different than my right. So heel and tongue pads Def are a added value for me.

14. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Amok chukkas. There should be plenty left at the shoebank ;-)

15. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

If you are a size 10 D, there is a brown Long Branch on the ShoeBank in size 10.5 D (I've read advices to go 1/2 up in size) for $127, which is a pretty good deal...

http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=6041S&DIM=D&SIZE=105

16. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Suede Upgrade
    Which would you choose:
    Sand Suede Player
    Snuff Suede Mcgregor
    Navy Suede Cavanaugh

Currently only have an olive suede chukka, badlands bitter suede PTB. For casual linen and cotton pants and shorts mostly. Depending on the model will get more or less play with jeans

17. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Agreed

but @garland also agreed.

18. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

I would say Snuff Suede McGregor because the color is right at home in Spring and fall and suede is a casual leather to pair with the casual style of a long boat blucher.

Otherwise navy suede is a great colourway for Summer and Spring too.

19. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

I'm actually not sure what my Brannock size is. A few years ago I walked into an AE store, they sized me as a starting point and we worked from there. Now on new lasts I start at 8 D and we work around that.

It's pretty darn close. For the record, my 5 last balmorals do have a bit of a lacing gap that is closing as I wear them more frequently. The Franciscans generally fit best buckled in the middle hole, depending on the socks, all three of mine are quite comfortable (Walnut 1sts, Black 2nds, Burgundy shell MTOs). The black pair sometimes has a slight fit difference between left and right foot (might tighten one shoe in the afternoon), but for the price I paid I'm more than fine with that.

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Go for the loafer. That will be the only one that would look right with shirts. Plus the navy is a better color to match creams, whites, and lighter linen pant colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.