• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackboot

Reaction score
I just received a pair of Eagle County boots. Unfortunately the fit doesn't feel right on me. It doesn't seem to be a sizing issue - the length and width feel OK. It is more of a "volume" issue - even when I lace them up as tight as they'll go, the fit still seems a bit big and sloppy on me.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with the Eagle County boots? I am pretty thin for my height so my calves/ankles are admittedly quite small relative to my shoe size (10.5D).

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got some Player's in bitter chocolate; bowing on the right shoe. Seems like there is no consensus about how to fix this problem. Ordered 10.5 D, which fits my right foot perfectly on the 5 last but is loose on the left. On this last, left foot is fine (minor heel slippage with cross lacing), but the right feels tight around the ball. Any suggestions for sizing?

gatszu

Reaction score
Just got some Player's in bitter chocolate; bowing on the right shoe. Seems like there is no consensus about how to fix this problem. Ordered 10.5 D, which fits my right foot perfectly on the 5 last but is loose on the left. On this last, left foot is fine (minor heel slippage with cross lacing), but the right feels tight around the ball. Any suggestions for sizing?

Maybe try going down half a size and up a width. From my limited experience, bowing is due to have excessing materials around the ankle from having the shoes too big. But since you're having tightness at the ball of your foot, the width may be narrow.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy Cordovan Leeds in a couple of different lightings. These are so versatile, love them dressed up a bit and love them casually. Awesome shoe and highly recommended for anyone looking for a PTB. Very happy to have pulled the trigger during the seconds sale.

In my office:

Over by the window in some natural light:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy Cordovan Leeds in a couple of different lightings. These are so versatile, love them dressed up a bit and love them casually. Awesome shoe and highly recommended for anyone looking for a PTB. Very happy to have pulled the trigger during the seconds sale.

In my office:

Over by the window in some natural light:

Agreed. I got a pair myself and they are pretty much flawless. Mine are a little more brown, but that actually worked out great for me. Good buy!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MWS, it's always nice to hear you weigh in on matters like this. Apropos of my writeup this morning of the Elgin and Stewart, I'd love to know more about the Tan Saddle Waxy Leather. Do you happen to know where it comes from? I don't see it on Horween's full tannage list but perhaps it's hiding there under some other name.

The tan saddle waxy leather is definitely not from Horween. On the review section of the AE website, a representative from AE said that they wouldn't specify where the leather was from. However, they did confirm that it was not from Horween. I just got a pair of Stewart's in the mail, and they had a funny smell to them along with a plastic looking shiny coat. I'm debating whether ot not to keep them. Anyone know how the Stewart's age?

As BillyMcGee beat me to, it isn't from Horween at all, and they don't disclose the source. I've never understood why, but it actually isn't unusual for shoe manufacturer's to be secretive about their sources. Horween seems to be unique in their desire to have their products advertised in the shoes made from their leathers.

Reaction score
My snuff suede Amok's came in today. These things are super comfortable... Feels like I'm wearing slippers. The suede was very supple, and the fit was perfect. They shipped with tan and green laces which I promptly threw in the closet and replaced with dark brown. Couldn't be happier.

Septimus

Reaction score
Got my two pairs of Elgins today.  I like the color of the tan saddle leather.  And I like the overall look of the shoe.  The leather is a bit stiff and (I-don't-want-to-say-plasticy-but) smooth, but I think it will soften up a bit.

As for sizing on the Elgins, I ended up going with my normal 5-last size (10 D).  The 9.5 D pair that I also bought kind of fit, but was a bit snug even with thin socks.  The 10 D pair fit well with both thin and thick socks, with a "V" of about 1/3 to 3/4 an inch.  I expect the leather will soften up and the insole will compress a bit, but I think they should still fit well, and maybe better.

I will be returning the 9.5 D pair. (Incidentally, that medallion on one of the 9.5 D shoes was off-center.  though that is not an issue for me, I may indicate it on my return slip.)  

Now, I'm thinking about whether to put topy soles on them.  Any thoughts?  I intend to use them primarily as casual shoes, but with the double sole, I don't want the ropy to make the sole too thick. Also, should I wear them for a while first, to break in the double sole or get the topy put on before wearing them in?

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Both pair of Elgins will likely go back. The 11D fit best but there was still some heal slippage. The 10.5D weren't much of a better fit... Confused. But if you take a careful look at the shoes, you can see one has a plasticy sheen that others have mentioned. Strange that only one pair had it. Also the split reverse welt is much higher up on both pairs, not like my others with the same type of welt.

11.5D Players in snuff suede, were too big... I'm an 11D on the 5 last . I love the color(my wife doesn't) but I'm not a fan of the style. Will wait patiently for my snuff suede neumoks to arrive, they will likely be keepers.

If anyone was looking for either of these shoes, let me know and I will certainly sell them to you before sending them back to AE next week.

Last edited:

AIK1891

Reaction score
I had two pair of too small down to the UPS store this morning to go back: Sapienza's that were too small but had to try to confirm size for a MTO, and the McGraw suede that my foot just wouldn't fit into (no slide from socks on suede v. on leather, so my high instep just wouldn't make it). But I'm at least replacing the McGraw's with a Players in the same Dark Chocolate suede, so I'll still have the shade in my rotation. That certainly cut down the number of AE shipping boxes I had on hand (though I'm still going to have to buy a box to pack/ship two Daltons back)

Pastor

Reaction score

Burgundy Cordovan Leeds in a couple of different lightings. These are so versatile, love them dressed up a bit and love them casually. Awesome shoe and highly recommended for anyone looking for a PTB. Very happy to have pulled the trigger during the seconds sale. In my office: Over by the window in some natural light:
My SA at the Ohio outlet called me yesterday and said she had a pair of "flawless" shell leeds that she just got in and they were my size. She told me I could have them at the $299 price so I jumped on them. Should be here next week.

sean anon

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck using polish/ cream to darken walnut AEs? I am debating trying this, taking them to a cobbler or selling my shoes

I am worried the color really won't take in the leather and creases would still show an uneven color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads