1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Ryan, Thanks for the update on the program. That is a pretty fair allotment for each store in my opinion. I don't feel as in a such a huge rush then and can wait till I hear back from my SA who I know won't leave me hanging. Did you get any more clarification or confirmation on the other aspects of the shoes such as welt color etc? Carl

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

They're currently available online. They seem to be more of a seasonal boot.

3. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Carl, They provided confirmation on that earlier this week (admittedly I have been talking to them via the phone as well, so they may not have posted). Yes, we can stylize the welts and edging to our preference. -Mike

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Agreed. From my phone conversations (and my subsequent order), this is an MTO - just without the fee. You can alter the usual variables to your taste and preference.

5. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Well, all of this frenzy has been enough to get me to pull the trigger on a phone order. Here are the specs:

Natural shell Strand
    Flat chili welt
    Medium brown transparent edge
    Wheeled and fudged
    Independence insole and outsole

I didn't ask Ryan but I'm guessing I could still change a spec between now and the 10th if I wanted . . . any further suggestions from y'all?

I'm on the fence as to whether to do a natural shell MacNeil as well . . . maybe seven MacNeils are enough?

6. mdubs

That is identical to my Strands that I ordered Monday. You have great taste!!!

7. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

what are your thoughts on natural shell strands? is it so casual that it's only suitable for jeans or chinos, or you think it's possible to dress them up a bit and rock them with wool pants?

the color of natural shell seems really light (the lightest color I've seen for shell), making it prone to waterstains.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

What is the sale coming in November? I'll be in Florida next month so I can go to Nordstorm and give some of the casual shoes a try before I kop online

9. mdubs

I am expecting them to be relatively close to my Walnut Shell Strands...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

10. halfnhalfnhalf

11. halfnhalfnhalf

12. heybear

heybear Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about the versatility of the new Bleecker Street. I haven't seen it in person yet. I'm in need of a black dress shoe, but I don't wear black shoes often and I'd get more use out of a boot that could double as a dress shoe. Can Bleecker Street handle both casual and semi-formal? I don't wear suits much, but if the Bleecker Street could stand up to the occasional suit and more regular blazer, it might be more practical for me. I'm considering the Fifth Street, too, but I'm afraid those might be too much in black.

13. mdubs

I concur with this assessment. I do not wear Whiskey, Ravello, Walnut or (now) Natural out in the rain and this would not be an exception... They are just too proned to Water "Stains"...

-Mike

14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I have mine in Dark Chili, but I find them extremely versatile. I absolutely think you could pull off the Black Bleecker with business casual. I'm not sure what casual wear would call for black shoes, but I never wear black shoes at all unless the dress is business formal.

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

That's funny; that's precisely what I've planned. The only thing I'm not 100% on is welt and edge colors, though these are where I was leaning. Mind sharing your rationale for not going a notch lighter on either of them? Just wouldn't be enough contrast with Buff/Natural welt or Light Brown Transparent/Toasted/Natural edge?

16. mdubs

After a lot of research and debating... Here are all of my final designs...

Model: Strand
    Material: Natural Shell Cordovan
    Welt: Chili Welt
    Edging: Medium Brown Transparent Edging
    Outsole: Independence Collection Sole
    Lining: Independence Collection Lambskin Lining
    Eyelets: Hidden Eyelets (Strand Standard)
    Extras: Wheeling and Fudging

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model: First Avenue Dress Boot
    Material: Navy Shell Cordovan
    Welt: Chili Welt
    Edging: Medium Brown Transparent Edging
    Outsole: Mini-Lug Tap Sole
    Insole: Indy Insole
    Lining: Indy Lining
    Eyelets: All Antiqued Brass Eylets

[​IMG]

Model: Mora 2.0
    Welt: Brown Welt
    Edging: Brown Edging
    Eyelets: Silver Buckles

[​IMG]

Model: Grayson
    Welt: Brown Welt
    Edging: Brown Edging
    Eyelets: N/A
    Extras: Wheeling and Fudging, Matching Stitching

[​IMG]

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I think they would work also and I wear black shoes with black, grey, stone, olive, and cadet colored chinos and cords. I think black leeds with black pants looks pretty awesome.

FyI ...I have no style so take that forr what it's worth. :)

18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

What sizes are you ordering for the Strand and the First Ave? What size do you normally wear in the 5-last balmorals? And what size do you normally wear in the 5-last bluchers?

19. mdubs

Here are my motivations... I personally strongly dislike the Light Brown Transparent or Toasted edges as I don't like how light the heal stack is. It just looks goofy to me. I have been fighting hard the urge to get my Jefferson's resoled to Medium Brown Transparent...

Objective:

[​IMG]

Medium Brown Transparent:

[​IMG]

Light Brown Transparent:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brown:

[​IMG]

-Mike

20. mdubs

I only have 5-last Balmoral experience... For the Strand, I am doing an Independence Collection version, and so I am going to be getting a 10.5D. If I had gone with the normal insole and lining, I would have gone with my True-to-Size, 10.5C.

The First Avenue is made on a brand new last actually. It is supposed to have the front end of the 4-Last with the middle and rear of the 5-Last. So, it is essentially the 5-Last with a slightly more generous toe box. They do not have a 10.5C version of this last, so they are going to make me an "Independence Collection" boot to accomodate me and so it will have the thicker Independence Insole and Indy Lining.

I am paying a MTO fee for the boots, Greyson's and Mora's...

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.