• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nine Miler

Reaction score

a couple of quick questions/confirmations if anyone can help out:

• Does anyone have an opinion on the McAdam boot?
Since I'm returning two pairs of wrong-sized Daltons for a decent credit, I was considering adding to my next order with McAdams to cheaply replace their colors.

I lurked here for a while before beginning to post, but just to make sure I've understood the thread correctly,
  • for Style Forum members who call Allison for MTO, if a make up can be done, there's no custom fee and the price is at the current listed price? so, e.g. on the McAdam I could get merlot and bourbon pairs for the current sale price $199 each MTO?
{I'm thinking of them as a northeast foul-weather winter boot so they need not be the best/perfect boot ever, though I would also want them made with mini lug rubber soles.}

I have previously talked with Allison on the phone, maybe being lucky to get right through on the first tries, but haven't been able to reach her the past two weeks. During that time I sent e-mail of MTO considerations (replying to a special order e-mail receipt), and the phone call would be to confirm the order specifics of the e-mail once I ever reach her again (so I never expected a reply).
  • Does anyone have experience if she's good at replying to e-mails since I haven't been able to reach her on the phone, or is she usually too swamped or possibly extra busy right now because of sales?

See my post a few pages back on the McAdam. It's a total abortion in my opinion.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone with suede players, are they lined? How did you size compared to the Nuemok (suede)?

also, any pics of your suede players would be great.

Thanks

JohnnyGalt

Reaction score
Can anyone give any insight on the quality/construction of the Italian loafers? Looking to pick up some new loafers and weighing the merits of the Italian loafers vs GY welted loafers. These would only be worn around the office and maybe on a quick lunch trip. What's the value of these shoes at $350 or on sale?

pudman43

Reaction score
Dark Brown Mora 2.0 seconds arriving tomorrow, will try to post a few pics Tues/Wed. J

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
Would $230 be a good price for first quality suede strands? FYI they are no longer available on the AE website.

ElDave

Reaction score

Would $230 be a good price for first quality suede strands? FYI they are no longer available on the AE website.

They aren't available in my size, but I'd definitely buy them at that price if I could.

Mark_Y

Reaction score

Only you can answer that. I paid $235 for mine because they were on closeout and I found them with my wife when we were visiting NYC. She really wanted me to buy them and I really wanted them so it was an easy decision, I was also interested in the Walnut Strands, but knew I could always pick those up as they're a top seller. Turns out I did pick up some walnuts during the seconds sale a few weeks later.

If you want em, and have the cash, go for it. They're one good looking shoe.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Haha. That is Kesia. She was the inspiration for my wife's size 6 Walnut Daltons.

I was just in the Philly shop over the weekend - got good service and advice from Mark. Also, there's a cute little gal working there who was wearing the tiniest pair of bourbon Daltons. I asked her about them and she said they were size 5 (!) and her very favorite pair of shoes.

Thanks. I tried on the strand at BB today in 11d and fit better than previous experience. Snug but not painful. Ordered a pair of fifth ave from shoebank!

Here is a picture of a pair of Daltons in a dress. I saw it on AE Instagrams site about 2 weeks ago and posted the link here but I don't think anyone has a chance to see it.

(credit: http://instagram.com/agraves33)

Found her Instagram's site and it looks like she have been wearing AE for quite some time. Other pictures can be seen here (including the Mora 2.0, Patriots, PAs, FAs, ...) Great to know that we men are not the only ones who appreciate AE shoes.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone give any insight on the quality/construction of the Italian loafers? Looking to pick up some new loafers and weighing the merits of the Italian loafers vs GY welted loafers. These would only be worn around the office and maybe on a quick lunch trip. What's the value of these shoes at $350 or on sale?

I'll give you my opinion, having owned a few. I have the Verona and the Lucca - basically the same shoe; one is just on a leather sole (Verona) while the other is on a rubber sole (Lucca, which is the old version of the Arezzo - look exactly the same). I tried on pretty much every loafer they had in store when I purchased these, about 2 years ago, including the Firenze and some GY ones.

The Italian loafers are much lighter and sleeker, and I found them to be much more comfortable on first wearing. They feel almost like slippers, they are that comfortable. But I am sure the GY welted ones would feel very good once broken in. The Firenze has funky leather and the soles are really soft. The other Italian loafers are just not my style.

The leather sole is very thin. It will definitely not wear as long as the GY sole. Also, on a side note, I don't think AE can resole them with original soles anymore - they do something thicker when they get recrafted. I haven't had this done yet, but I think the loafer will lose its comfort and character once this happens.

I beat the **** out of my Veronas, including rain. The soles are curling up, because they are thin, and the upper is is showing wear. I raved about these when I first go them, but they definitely wear faster and harder than GY loafers. The Lucca/Arezzo has been absolutely terrific, however. I think the rubber sole makes it more flexible so the leather uppers don't get stressed as much.

Finally, everyone compliments the looks, especially the Veronas, which are brown.

So my bottom line: The Italian loafers feel great, but wear quickly. I would probably buy the rubber soled ones again, but not the leather soled ones. The GY ones are definitely a heavier, more solid look - American/British - and they will wear better. I also think if you want the Italian loafer look, the AE ones are better than anything in their price range.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
So it might not be so much like the 8 last after all I guess? I hate the idea of going through the returns process and paying international shipping both ways to figure out sizing. I'd be interested in your experience when you get them.

I wear size 9.5 D in the 5 last and size down to 9D with the Saunders (as were told to be the 2 last). Hope it helps with your decision

Last edited:

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score

They aren't available in my size, but I'd definitely buy them at that price if I could.

Only you can answer that. I paid $235 for mine because they were on closeout and I found them with my wife when we were visiting NYC. She really wanted me to buy them and I really wanted them so it was an easy decision, I was also interested in the Walnut Strands, but knew I could always pick those up as they're a top seller. Turns out I did pick up some walnuts during the seconds sale a few weeks later.

If you want em, and have the cash, go for it. They're one good looking shoe.

Bit the bullet and bought them. $232 at amazon with free return shipping in case I change my mind once they come in. Few sizes left in case anyone is looking for suede strands.

tampatravel

Reaction score
^^ @halfnhalfnhalf is that the POLO in suede that Ralph Lauren had an issue with years ago?

My Neumok March Madness MTOs from the $199 promo last year.... #Smurf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads