• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My MTO Leeds today

Nice shoes.

I have had a very similar MTO for a few years now. It is a great looking, and fitting, shoe.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My very first pair of shell boots (almost two years old) and still one of my favorites. It is definitely my current favorite shell color (at least until the burgundy/#8 boots' patina develops some more). These definitely need some treatment as they do look a bit beat up and dirty.

kentyman

Reaction score
I've seen different posts of the Strand fit -- some where people are able to fully tie the laces, others where it shows the laces form the 'v' -- what is the proper fit or is either acceptable for closed laces/balmorals?

The general advice is to have some V, but not too much.

If you have no gap whatsoever when they're new, they're bound to be too big after they're broken in. This is because your foot will sink in the footbed, the uppers will stretch a little, and you won't be able to tighten them any further without overlapping the leather.

Too big a V usually implies you have a high instep and/or the shoe is too narrow for your foot width. This can possibly be fixed by moving up in width (and possibly down in length as well to compensate for the new width), though for some that will lead to strange heel fit. Sadly, for some, certain lasts simply don't work for their foot.

I, myself, have an average width with a mildly high instep, and because of this start off with a prominent-but-not-ridiculous V. I can personally vouch for this minimizing over time. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Nice! About time @wonsmithr8
 =]

Yah thanks, had to wait a week for different size. Now that I've got my walnut strands, does anyone have thoughts on what shoes I should get next (not black)? I do prefer light color brown shoes (walnut, chili, tan) even though I know darker brown is more versatile. I only wear blue or grey trousers and blue jeans, thanks!

Last edited:

chris45

Reaction score
Yah thanks, had to wait a week for different size. Now that I've got my walnut strands, tried anyone have thoughts on what shoes I should get next? I only wear blue or grey trousers and blue jeans, thanks!
I'm loving the Kenilworth's -- get them in a darker brown or bourbon / etc.. they have been pairing nicely with the denim/trousers as a more casual shoe but still looking real nice.

I know I've seen a few other references to some more casual styled shoes .. the walnut Strands should go great with your colored Black Lapel suit.. so if you don't need anything dressy right now, stay away from the balmorals/closed lacing and go look at the others. I'm sure you will also get some good suggestions from the others.

natron20

Reaction score

Yessir.. I can do, again. I posted these earlier today! I understand it is discontinued - at least that's what the salesman said a few weeks ago when I wore mine into the store... "You must've gotten one of the last ones!"
Very very nice and I'm insanely jealous. Thanks for sharing!

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My very first pair of shell boots (almost two years old) and still one of my favorites. It is definitely my current favorite shell color (at least until the burgundy/#8 boots' patina develops some more). These definitely need some treatment as they do look a bit beat up and dirty.

Walnut Daltons, correct? Love that color!

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut Daltons, correct?  Love that color!

Look Walnut Shell to me. On the darker side of the Walnut Shell spectrum. I miss them making Walnut Shell shoes!!!

Sorry, forgot to say what they were. One of the last unlined walnut ones that were sold directly by AE. The later walnut shell Daltons were definitely on the darker side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads