1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2 people like this.
  2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Those are awesome Mike.

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Hey guys,

Just picked up a pair of banchory seconds, at $107 they look to be a good pick up. Overall the shoe is in great condition, maybe a slightly crooked tongue on the right foot.

The issue I am having is with the heal... Something that has been an annoyance in the past. The heels on both shoes are uneven and rock when pushed back(see pics).

Has anyone else had a problem like this with their shoes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Looks good to me. Personally I dont think this is an issue. Most people when walking, their feet would land with the rear part of their heel so in no time at all most shoes would have a heels that are actually "thinner" at the back because of wear.

5. bradybot

bradybot Active Member

Just my opinion. But, for me the 8 last fits similar to the 4 last. I wear a 10.5 D in 8 and 4, and a 10 E in the 5 last.

6. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

Got a pair of Addison's off Amazon for $107. They seem like firsts to me, not markings, looked them over pretty thoroughly. I have seconds and firsts and these look nice, even came with shoe bags.

7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That is a great price...wow..I am wearing the crap out of mine this summer..I would pick up a back up pair at that price..lol

I think I am going to grab a pair..maybe I get next summer out of the sole on my pair and re-soling is nearly the price of a new pair at $115

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Thanks guys, I did end up wearing the chili Regent Street LWB. I think chili is now officially my favorite AE color.

The rightmost shoes are #8 MacNeils that I thrifted for 100$ (Lightly worn, too) then recrafted with a lighter welt.

1 person likes this.
  9. Wood

Wood Active Member

I just got a NIB chili Regent Street on ebay last week and great! I think they will be my new go-to for casual wear.

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yeah they are about 8 years old and original soles, I should send them in but the bottom of the soles are still solid. I could likely use the toes as an axe to cut wood in an emergency LOL.

Thanks for the heads up!

Nice score! Agree with the others that posted on 1 and 2. But I would not put them in the sunlight to try and lighten them. Darker shell lightens with UV exposure however lighter shell usually darkens. All 3 of my walnut shell pairs have darkened over time and UV exposure. It is still a great color IMO.

11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Oh right, I should have known that haha.

Should be getting a shipping label today to send in my Leeds for the welt/sole change, still trying to decide on Dainite or toby mini lug tap sole though...

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Don't sure how you get heel wear...and I my guess is with your shoe rotation it is not that much a concern but my Dainite soled Addisons getting some weardown behind the little heel tap part...I have worn these 20 times in a few months and I do weigh more than the average bear...just thought I would share...It would not stop me from etting Dainite in the lease but if you plan to put serious miles on them and get heal wear badly normally then maybe the mini lug is better?

Again the wear would not personally stop me from getting dainite though

13. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Total speculation, but if this is true then I imagine the shell itself darkens with exposure, but not as quickly as the dyes lighten. So if it's dark from dye, exposure makes the shell itself one shade darker while making the dye multiple shades lighter, hence lightening it as a whole. Without significant dye, it'll only darken. Does this jibe with your experience?

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I think I will likely just do Dainite, I do not have anything with it yet so will be a good chance to try it out.

Oh and I confirmed that AE cannot do brown Dainite, only the red or black. I hope they decide to carry brown in the future.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

If I had known dainite would be possible, I would have done that for my MacNeils. Although, then it wouldn't have that double sole chunkiness

16. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I will adding a leather midsole so mine will still have the clunkiness. Oh and the recrafting form online doesn't seem to have dainite as a sole change option but the one I was just sent includes both colors of dainite and toby mini lug.

This is probably the final makeup, just going to browse pics and make sure that I am 100%.

Exact welt color, stitch color and edge trim of the olive Neumok
    leather midsole
    black Dainite outsole.

[​IMG]

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

My Macneil 5 pair has the dainite and it is nice and with the CXL it works but anything else and that shoe IMHO needs a double sole

18. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Just got these pairs of seconds in. They're Jermyns, and the last pair in my size, and I got them for ~$132. They seem fine, just a few creases and scuffs and this...
    [​IMG]
    It seems like the insole is pulling away a bit. Should I be worried? If it's not to big of a deal, I'll keep them, I've had my eye on them for a while, and they were cheap.
    EDIT: I just noticed that these would have been eligible for another 15% off, would AE match that?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have never been able to find the reason UV darkens light shell, what you said very well may be the explanation. I know Nick Horween has said they use aniline stains on shell which do not contain pigments, do it does make sense the more I think about it.

Here are some naturally aged whiskey shells posted on AAAC back in 2008 (first pic is #8).

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.