• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

All kidding aside, to me putting flat laces on Daltons brings the following issue into stark relief:  that sadly AE doesn't stock a true work boot (one that would compete with the Red Wing GT, Wolverine 1000 Mile, Chippewa Service/Homestead, etc.).  The Bayfield, Long Branch, Eagle County, and Portland all dance around it, but you have to go the custom route to get something that really approaches what I would consider to be a work boot - cap- or round-toe, no perfing or brogueing, lug sole, and the like.  (The Promontory Point might come closest, but with the Dainite sole and no speed hooks, it's still not quite rugged enough for me, and AE doesn't seem to be positioning it as an alternative to the ones I mentioned above.)  Flat laces on work boots are definitely the way to go, but IMO on a Dalton it looks like you're trying to turn them into something they're really not.

Just my $.02.

I dunno about that. I believe my straight tip boots are inherently dressier than the Dalton and just look "right" with flat laces.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albeit that the Alden laces are narrower and sleeker and give it a dressier look, befitting those cap toes.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside, to me putting flat laces on Daltons brings the following issue into stark relief: that sadly AE doesn't stock a true work boot (one that would compete with the Red Wing GT, Wolverine 1000 Mile, Chippewa Service/Homestead, etc.). The Bayfield, Long Branch, Eagle County, and Portland all dance around it, but you have to go the custom route to get something that really approaches what I would consider to be a work boot - cap- or round-toe, no perfing or brogueing, lug sole, and the like. (The Promontory Point might come closest, but with the Dainite sole and no speed hooks, it's still not quite rugged enough for me, and AE doesn't seem to be positioning it as an alternative to the ones I mentioned above.) Flat laces on work boots are definitely the way to go, but IMO on a Dalton it looks like you're trying to turn them into something they're really not.

Just my $.02.

When the flat black laces arrive I will post pics with them in my Bayfield, they are going to loo amazing I think. I also now wish the Dalton had speed hooks because the flat laces hold tighter and make getting them on/off a bit of a pain haha

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dunno about that. I believe my straight tip boots are inherently dressier than the Dalton and just look "right" with flat laces.

To be fair, IMO, regardless of laces, your straight tip boots are inherently dressier than the Daltons, because they're cap toes. The flat laces you have on your straight tips also look narrower than the ones on the Daltons. I think your straight tips would look even dressier with narrow round laces.

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All kidding aside, to me putting flat laces on Daltons brings the following issue into stark relief:  that sadly AE doesn't stock a true work boot (one that would compete with the Red Wing GT, Wolverine 1000 Mile, Chippewa Service/Homestead, etc.).  The Bayfield, Long Branch, Eagle County, and Portland all dance around it, but you have to go the custom route to get something that really approaches what I would consider to be a work boot - cap- or round-toe, no perfing or brogueing, lug sole, and the like.  (The Promontory Point might come closest, but with the Dainite sole and no speed hooks, it's still not quite rugged enough for me, and AE doesn't seem to be positioning it as an alternative to the ones I mentioned above.)  Flat laces on work boots are definitely the way to go, but IMO on a Dalton it looks like you're trying to turn them into something they're really not.

Just my $.02.

I was at the Allen Edmonds store in Kansas City a few weeks ago and the sales associate told me that the Promintory Point boot was delayed for a few months because AE and Wolverine had a "legal disagreement" about the Promintory Point.... apparently Wolverine thought it was too close to the 1000 Mile boot (last and all) and involved legal folk. He said it had to be delayed while AE made changes to the Promintory. I found this to be quite believable since the initial website pictures of the Promintory look quite similar to 1000 Mile boots... but the final shipping product was changed to have a rubber sole and much sleaker profile. It was so differnet from the initial photos that I was diappointed... I wanted something more work-bootish...

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
That is very interesting and very enlightening - thanks for sharing.

Even though the PP isn't exactly what I'm looking for, I do think it's a nice boot, and if/when they go on sale I might take a flyer on a pair. I recently tried on literally 15 pairs of RWs, 1000Ks, and Chippewas in various shapes and sizes, and was disappointed to realize that none of them really did it for me. I'll also be checking out Alden's Indy boot when I'm in San Francisco next week, but I'm really not a fan of the moc toe. If all else fails, I do still have the option of the "Allison special" Eagle County MTO/custom - but I'm not sure I'm prepared to wait two or three months for them as seems to be the norm these days.

GooseG

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my 8.5E "trial size" Park Aves came in today. Trying them on, they appear to be the correct length since the balls of my feet match up with the sole.

However, the vamp had no gap once laced and there was a little "slop" around the top of the shoe.

Do you think 8.5D is the way to go then? Should allow for the footbed to give a little.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hey guys, so my 8.5E "trial size" Park Aves came in today. Trying them on, they appear to be the correct length since the balls of my feet match up with the sole.

However, the vamp had no gap once laced and there was a little "slop" around the top of the shoe.

Do you think 8.5D is the way to go then? Should allow for the footbed to give a little.

I have a feeling that 'no gap' may turn into an overlap over time.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used some Reno and AE cream polish to give my new to me Brook Brothers Park Aves some love. I really like the rich dark brown color of these, plus with the V tread soles they are going to get a lot of milage. Thanks to mythage for the smooth transaction, shoes are in great condition apart from some creasing on the right toe box and some uneven toe burnishing that the reno helped a lot with. Very happy with them!

Last edited:

pbmonk

Reaction score

So, my regular shoes size is 9 1/2, but my feet are wide/thick on the top. I ordered a pair of Strands on Amazon last month, size 9 EEE, and it was too small and tight for my feet. Then, I ordered another pair directly from AE, size 9.5 E -- it fits perfectly, except for the top part... That's as close as the "V" meet on the top. So, my question is: Should I go with 9.5 EEE or go with a different last (if so, which one would you recommend)? Thanks in advance.
That's hilarious but I feel you pain as my foot is very similar. I recommend trying a different last and style. Since you can't lace them up you absolutely have to stick with the derby/blucher style. Avoid the balmoral/oxfords like the plague. You still may need wide sizing but a different style should alleviate the pressure on the top of the foot, good luck.

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest MTO:
Eagle Country
BLACK SHARK
NO PORON
BROWN LEATHER INSOLE
TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCH BLACK FLAT WELT
VTREAD OUTSOLE
BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads