1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The thought has crossed my mind more than once... Seeing how you likely have the largest collection of AE shell and exotics in existence I am sure it has yours for the same reason. I'm thinking a random orbit buffer but it would have to be small enough and adjustable to go slow enough. Maybe thick wool pads and the ability to put a microfiber cloth on it to finish? It may be worth a try.

Yeah Renovateur is pretty aggressive. On calf especially where I want to keep stitching or burnishing intact I used to use AE leather lotion but a few years ago switched to Bickmore Bick 4. Many times you can use just the lotion or Bick 4, let dry and buff without having to apply wax or cream. The only time I use Reno on calf is on the sole edges, it helps level the finish out and many times I don't have to put edge dressing on after using it. And it does help the leather edge glow and shine as you said.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

A few fall styles trickling in. Relaunched Strandmok, but lined. Wonder what kind of leather this is:[​IMG]

3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I just noticed that they've added two new leathers to the "stock" MacNeil selection - brown calf and walnut calf. A step in the right direction.

4. peppercorn78

Yeah...not feeling the black welt/sole edge on the walnut Mac.

5. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Can someone name all the models pictured? Thanks.

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Why not just calling it Strand? AE should fire the person responsible for naming the shoes.

7. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Guessing the split welt. If it was flat id agree..

1 person likes this.
  8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

From left to right: Belair, Strands, Evanston, *not sure.

10. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

Bel Air, Strand, Evanston, and Drydon. The first three are walnut and the Drydon was listed as Brandy.

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Thanks for your input, CI. I'm still on the fence myself. Unless I'm holding the shoe at eye level, it's barely noticeable...so I'm leaning towards keeping them.

12. peppercorn78

They like differentiating the dress models from the casual models even if the basic pattern is the same. It's the way they've always done it.

I'm guessing you like the Alden naming convention better? I think folks who don't know that much about shoe parts might get overwhelmed with slight variations of welts, leathers, soles, etc. perhaps AE keeps the dress and casual separate for this reason.

13. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

You nailed it, Pepper. I do like Alden's approach to naming a lot better. FWIW, Alden reminds me of the Apple's approach (fewer products, consistent naming) whereas AE is more like a Samsung (tons of products which often compete in the same niche and confusing naming strategy).

14. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Does anyone know if the boca raton is fully lined, especially under the woven?

15. Eric Pease

Eric Pease Member

from an SA in an outlet store: "2 for $299 sale on all Factory 2nd closeouts and all Brooks Brothers shoes from July 31st to Aug 3rd. Labor Day sale Aug 21st to Sep 1st."

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I am hearing word that the price of AE Calf Dress Collection (most of their shoes) is going to $385 effective August 1st. So if you are on the fence on a first quality offering, you might want to act quickly.

Chris

18. peppercorn78

Oy.

That's $40 price increase in less than 1 year.

19. rc121

rc121 Senior member

that's not such a great deal looking at the current closeout prices. At least in my size, the majority of closeouts are $149 or less, unless you want 2 independence pairs

20. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between AE's "Dark Brown" and "Chocolate"? I have dark brown kenilworths, and am considering chocolate Madisons via this new sale. Would I be able to use the dark brown polish I bought for the Kenilworths?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.