• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
Can you please post a pic of those when you receive them. I'm thinking of getting a pair of those, but the reviews on the AE site say they look black as opposed to navy.

Thanks

Mark: I just got them today. If I wear them tomorrow I'll take a photo "in the wild", but I'll say they're definitely navy and not just "blue". They're definitely dark!

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first pair of AEs. I am starting with a pair of black park aves. Should I go to the AE store and buy them at full retail (I try to never do full retail) or buy a pair at Nordstrom Rack? I understand the rack AEs are seconds and not warrantied by AE.

I have an AE near me in Atlanta so I can go and get the whole fitting experience. Are there any deals to get a discount at AE? Is there an AE rep that posts in this thread that can help a get into his first pair of AEs?

COST: I wouldn't buy them at full retail if there are other alternatives. Christmas is around the corner so there maybe a sale coming up. Also, Nordstrom half year sale is the day after Christmas, PAs maybe included in the sale. AE stores will also match Nordstrom prices. If you decide to buy seconds, you can call the outlet stores to see if they have them in your size.

FIT: If you have an AE store, I would go in and get fitted as the store will have other widths that you can try on. It's crucial to have the correct size if these are you first pair. Once you know your size, it's ok to get the shoes from other sources online.

I got a pair of black PAs as my first pair of AE shoes but they are the least worn shoes in my rotation. If I can go back, I'd probably go with the brown PAs instead. If you are not wearing black suits everyday, you'll find black shoes are not as versatile as other colors.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on MTO Shelton burgundy shell with scotch grain walnut saddle MTO on single butyl sole....
This sounds good. Has an informal vibe. Why not double sole?

AndrewN

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone ever gotten blisters from new shoes? My SA measured me as an 8.5D on the brannock and recommended the Macneil in that size. They were comfortable on carpet, but rubbed my pinky toes raw the first day I wore them out. I talked to my SA about it and they said that the leather just needs to "break in". What do you guys think? Thank you, I'd appreciate any feedback!

tampatravel

Reaction score

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever gotten blisters from new shoes? My SA measured me as an 8.5D on the brannock and recommended the Macneil in that size. They were comfortable on carpet, but rubbed my pinky toes raw the first day I wore them out. I talked to my SA about it and they said that the leather just needs to "break in". What do you guys think? Thank you, I'd appreciate any feedback!

Your SA could be right. I wear my new shoes around the house for three nights. That gets the sole broken in quite well. Search for the Mac method for break i procedures.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,

My Macneils pinched the side of my pinky toes too when they were new. Once the cork settles in I think it should be better for you. I no longer have an issue with those shoes.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

COST: I wouldn't buy them at full retail if there are other alternatives.  Christmas is around the corner so there maybe a sale coming up.  Also, Nordstrom half year sale is the day after Christmas, PAs maybe included in the sale.  AE stores will also match Nordstrom prices.  If you decide to buy seconds, you can call the outlet stores to see if they have them in your size.

FIT: If you have an AE store, I would go in and get fitted as the store will have other widths that you can try on.  It's crucial to have the correct size if these are you first pair.  Once you know your size, it's ok to get the shoes from other sources online.

I got a pair of black PAs as my first pair of AE shoes but they are the least worn shoes in my rotation.  If I can go back, I'd probably go with the brown PAs instead.  If you are not wearing black suits everyday, you'll find black shoes are not as versatile as other colors.

I agree with these points, but I personally believe that a Black Cap Toe should be in the closet of any man who wears a suit on any sort of basis.

I agree that if an AE store is convenient enough for you to access, then you should definitely try them on to ensure proper fit. Fit is a many dimension problem, both length and width, but also height, toe box shape, and arch support. You can often get a good fit, but why have a good fit when there is a perfect or best fit available?

Finally, if you aren't in a crazy rush, you could also wait for either AE or Nordstrom to have a sale. The Black Calf Park Avenue is frequently (to almost always) included in their sales. BTW, I do not see AE preventing you from doing a re-sole because you got your shoe at the Rack. So you will get some support from them, they will also probably still cover you if somehow there is something structurally wrong with the shoe, which is rare but does come up occasionally.

-Mike

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I'm liking this euro straight bar lacing. I like that it is easier to tighten than the more clean looking straight bar. I like my Cambridge, but I just wish the color would even out. I don't want to put polish on my beloved shell, but I may have to. The pics do really exaggerate it though.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy AE shells very much, however in terms of color 8 Alden is tough to beat.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm liking this euro straight bar lacing. I like that it is easier to tighten than the more clean looking straight bar. I like my Cambridge, but I just wish the color would even out. I don't want to put polish on my beloved shell, but I may have to. The pics do really exaggerate it though.

I use that lacing method quite a bit.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy AE shells very much, however in terms of color 8 Alden is tough to beat.
I like them both.
The AE burgundy is more of a dark cherry color, and the Alden Color 8 starts as an eggplant.
They both have great depth.
They are just different.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. This is what I do as well. I find that, as long as the gap is not too wide, it looks just as clean as the straight bar method.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I use that lacing method quite a bit.

I may start to, now!

I like them both.
The AE burgundy is more of a dark cherry color, and the Alden Color 8 starts as an eggplant.
They both have great depth.
They are just different.

You are right. These do look much, much better in the flesh. The pic really screws with the tones.

+1.  This is what I do as well.  I find that, as long as the gap is not too wide, it looks just as clean as the straight bar method.

My lacing gap is a little larger than I'd like, but it has closed up a bit since I first bought them.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy my first pair of AEs. I am starting with a pair of black park aves. Should I go to the AE store and buy them at full retail (I try to never do full retail) or buy a pair at Nordstrom Rack? I understand the rack AEs are seconds and not warrantied by AE.

I have an AE near me in Atlanta so I can go and get the whole fitting experience. Are there any deals to get a discount at AE? Is there an AE rep that posts in this thread that can help a get into his first pair of AEs?

I agree with these points, but I personally believe that a Black Cap Toe should be in the closet of any man who wears a suit on any sort of basis.

I agree that if an AE store is convenient enough for you to access, then you should definitely try them on to ensure proper fit. Fit is a many dimension problem, both length and width, but also height, toe box shape, and arch support. You can often get a good fit, but why have a good fit when there is a perfect or best fit available?

Finally, if you aren't in a crazy rush, you could also wait for either AE or Nordstrom to have a sale. The Black Calf Park Avenue is frequently (to almost always) included in their sales. BTW, I do not see AE preventing you from doing a re-sole because you got your shoe at the Rack. So you will get some support from them, they will also probably still cover you if somehow there is something structurally wrong with the shoe, which is rare but does come up occasionally.

-Mike

mdubs is correct. AE doesn't track where you bought your shoes from. They don't ask for a receipt when you send your shoes in for service. As long as they are AE's (and they haven't been botched by a local cobbler) they will accept them for service. They stand behind their seconds just as much as their firsts, from a structural and quality standpoint. You are simply purchasing a pair with a flaw that didn't pass QC. You obviously can't send them in to have the flaw itself fixed, but if the shoes have unforeseen problems down the road, contact them by all means. They are fully recraftable just as firsts are.

On a side note, I haven't ever spotted black PA's at my Nordstrom Rack. By the wording of your post, it sounds as if they are at yours. What is their price, just out of curiosity?

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
^Recrafting is a part of their business. They want you to send in as many shoes as possible to be recrafted, no matter where you got them, as this is one of the ways in which they make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads