1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

My kid, who now has the same size 13 shoe that I have, wants to wear my shell Daltons when he performs with his band (he's only 13). He wants to wear them with jeans and an OCBD untucked to get what he calls "the Dave Mustaine look". Should I let him rock the Daltons? I'm usually pretty gentle with shoes and I know he will not be as easy on them as I am. ha ha I think it's probably OK.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

No. He won't treat them right. And definitely not if he's going to wear his shirt untucked.

1 person likes this.
  3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

They are only shoes. There would be no question in my mind.

2 people like this.
  4. althanis

althanis Senior member

Thanks for the sizing advice. I'll let you know;I'm out of town for a couple days and think I'll make the purchase before the sale finishes or my size goes OOS.

5. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Absolutely not. Get that kid a pair of Aldens instead :)

1 person likes this.
  6. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Worst case scenario is that he ruins them and you have to replace them with some sort of stunning MTO.

1 person likes this.
  7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Kind of hard to ruin shell, unless he wades through a pool of rock salt or razor blades. And if that happens, you've probably got bigger concerns.

2 people like this.
  8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Difficult, yes, but still possible. However, I just realized that his son is only 13 years old so it's probably safe.

9. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

These Harrisons came in from the shoebank yesterday. They says seconds on the box, but come with shoe bags. Is this normal?

Also, for anyone interested, the 333-last seems to run big. These fit a half size longer than my usual shoes in the same size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Those look nice! Yes, my rutledge 2nds came with standard flannel shoe bags. But not the nice Independence linen ones.

11. njruss

njruss Senior member

I got a pair of McTavish "seconds" with bags and without the seconds mark on the sole. I think those are returns as opposed to seconds. Just my guess.

12. njruss

njruss Senior member

I got a pair of McTavish "seconds" with bags and without the seconds mark on the sole. I think those are returns as opposed to seconds. Just my guess.

13. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior member

Cool thanks guys. The last seconds I got came in plastic bags haha.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I got random, cheaper feeling grey shoe bags I had never seen before with my last cordovan seconds purchases. Everything before that was just plastic bags.

15. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks Cold Iron! I spent the better part of the morning on the Strands and they look pretty good. I've read just about everything on shell shoe care that I can find, and while opinions differ pretty substantially on which product, if any, to use, one tenet is common to all - less is more. I used the Venetion cream very sparingly, and relentlessly overbuffed with both the brush and the final cloth to remove any hint of residual product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pretty new to shell shoes, and the way these things change color still gets me. There are times when the color approaches the hue of the walnut calf Strands, times when they look like the pictures I've see of the brown shell Strands, and different parts of the shoes shine anywhere in between those two colors in most light.

I plan to do my Cambridges tomorrow.

16. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

I love these. Somebody posted a picture of MTO Harrisons in black shell awhile back and it triggered very spendy thoughts.

Such an awesome shoe!

17. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  18. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Well, crap. They were so perfect.

I better get down to the local AE store and see about my size in the 333 last before they're all gone. :slayer:

19. rostov

rostov Senior member

I'm thinking of picking up Walnut Harrisons, but I'm honestly not sure what the hell I'd ever wear them with. I seldom wear a suit, and if I did, I'd have to buy a grey one to match these shoes (which, is probably not a bad idea...) Maybe with the occasional pair of chinos? Unlike the Strand, they look too formal for jeans?

20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Sorry! Those are my Black Shell Harrison's. They are dropping the Harrison???? All colors or just Walnut?

Edit: Crap, they did. AE why must your discontinue such nice styles!?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.