Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Wearing the MacNeils that i received yesterday and they feel more true to size than my Fifth Street boots and closer to the size of my 8 last Quintons.

Here they are out in the wild.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

2. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

+1. Thanks for the writeup and all the pics. Can't wait to get mine (McGraw's)!

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Next purchase decision, Leeds vs. Alden PTB:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The last time I did this comparison, the AE Macneil in burgundy shell won out. This time, I'm not completely sure but I'm leaning toward the AE due to its slightly sleeker (for lack of a better term) appearance. It has a bit more curve to it than the very blobby Barrie last (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Additionally, kmdsimpson threw a curveball at me with the RL/C&J Marlow/Dalton PTB. Damn him!!!:D I need to try those on as well. If they fit well, I have to admit that I like their profile even better than the two above and the color is fantastic.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

4. facet

facet Senior member

The Leeds look nicer to me.

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I like the AE better than the Alden in these pictures, too. From the front especially it looks a lot sleeker. Plus you can actually buy them!

Here's the RL/C&J. But several hundred dollars more, so maybe not a fair comparison?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now, here's the shoe that everyone else seems to like. I get more compliments on my Cliftons than on any other shoe; even got some more today!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Have a Question for you guys. I just got my pair of Moras today for $133. They are seconds and for the most part look like they are in immaculate condition:

[​IMG]

However, the only flaw I can find is some leather damage on the leather of the lower buckle strap. Is this damage a big deal that will spread with wear? Ironically...it's on both left and right shoe at almost THE EXACT same spot. It cannot be seen when wearing since the strap covers it when the shoes are on. Keep or not in your guys opinion?

Right Shoe
    [​IMG]

Left Shoe
    [​IMG]

7. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

^ where'd u purchase the pair at?

8. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Senior member

Not sure where you mean? Those two holes? If those reckon somebody may have just tried to add a hole in the strap and gave up, maybe??

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for the additional pictures kmd. Not to beat a dead horse but I just can't get enough of these. Even at that price point, they are still appealing. Hope to get in on the next private sale.

10. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

Wearing the Black Hills in walnut, paired with the Manistee belt, also in walnut. Shirt is from Modern tailor. Off to an art opening with the wife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

11. MR_Song

MR_Song Member

Nice Dundees and thanks for sharing! How did you get yours so fast!? I really can't wait to get mind.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

no offense, but yikes.

shoes are fine, but the jeans are "dad jeans", and the blazer is a solid size or too big and way too long.

13. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

None taken. I didn't post it so much to show off my style (I'll admit I'm pretty new to this) as to get some feedback. I'm probably due for some new jeans. I don't wear jeans much, thought I'd try it for a more casual look. I'm going to have to think about the blazer some... If it's really that big, is tailoring an option still? I didn't think it was that far off.

14. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I ordered them on 2/23, so it took about 2 weeks for them to be delivered. I live in MN so shipping from AE is one day by UPS ground.

15. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, the sleeves look fine--you're showing some shirt cuff with your arm hanging straight down and it comes to the first joint on your thumb. With the coat unbuttoned, it's hard to see whether it is boxy or more fitted. It is a little long, however. A tailor won't be able to fix that for a reasonable price. The current fashion, however, is for jackets that are too small. All the skinny-boy models are showing fit that pinches severely when the coat is buttoned, and body lengths that only come down to the wrist (if that). If the jacket isn't too boxy and you're not trying to be 21 again, I think you're fine. Finally, faded jeans are not automatically "dad jeans.". The color contrast with the jacket looks fine. If they're overly baggy (i.e., loose fit like Levi's 550's), then you're in dad jean territory. Shoes look good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.