• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

Blasphemy!!!! :)
They look great. Thanks for taking the time to share the sizing info and especially the images...lots of images...in different light. You are a fine man with a clear understanding of this shoe affliction :) Thanks M-G Dogg.

+1. Thanks for the writeup and all the pics. Can't wait to get mine (McGraw's)!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next purchase decision, Leeds vs. Alden PTB:

The last time I did this comparison, the AE Macneil in burgundy shell won out. This time, I'm not completely sure but I'm leaning toward the AE due to its slightly sleeker (for lack of a better term) appearance. It has a bit more curve to it than the very blobby Barrie last (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Additionally, kmdsimpson threw a curveball at me with the RL/C&J Marlow/Dalton PTB. Damn him!!!:D I need to try those on as well. If they fit well, I have to admit that I like their profile even better than the two above and the color is fantastic.

Last edited:

facet

Reaction score

The last time I did this comparison, the AE Macneil in burgundy shell won out. This time, I'm not completely sure but I'm leaning toward the AE due to its slightly sleeker (for lack of a better term) appearance. It has a bit more curve to it than the very blobby Barrie last (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Additionally, kmdsimpson threw a curveball at me with the RL/C&J Marlow/Dalton PTB. Damn him!!!:D I need to try those on as well. If they fit well, I have to admit that I like their profile even better than the two above and the color is fantastic.

The Leeds look nicer to me.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the AE better than the Alden in these pictures, too. From the front especially it looks a lot sleeker. Plus you can actually buy them!

Here's the RL/C&J. But several hundred dollars more, so maybe not a fair comparison?

Now, here's the shoe that everyone else seems to like. I get more compliments on my Cliftons than on any other shoe; even got some more today!

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Have a Question for you guys. I just got my pair of Moras today for $133. They are seconds and for the most part look like they are in immaculate condition:

However, the only flaw I can find is some leather damage on the leather of the lower buckle strap. Is this damage a big deal that will spread with wear? Ironically...it's on both left and right shoe at almost THE EXACT same spot. It cannot be seen when wearing since the strap covers it when the shoes are on. Keep or not in your guys opinion?

Right Shoe

Left Shoe

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

Have a Question for you guys. I just got my pair of Moras today for $133. They are seconds and for the most part look like they are in immaculate condition:

However, the only flaw I can find is some leather damage on the leather of the lower buckle strap. Is this damage a big deal that will spread with wear? Ironically...it's on both left and right shoe at almost THE EXACT same spot. It cannot be seen when wearing since the strap covers it when the shoes are on. Keep or not in your guys opinion?
Right Shoe

Left Shoe

Not sure where you mean? Those two holes? If those reckon somebody may have just tried to add a hole in the strap and gave up, maybe??

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the AE better than the Alden in these pictures, too. From the front especially it looks a lot sleeker. Plus you can actually buy them!
Here's the RL/C&J. But several hundred dollars more, so maybe not a fair comparison?

Thanks for the additional pictures kmd. Not to beat a dead horse but I just can't get enough of these. Even at that price point, they are still appealing. Hope to get in on the next private sale.

Pluripotent

Reaction score
Wearing the Black Hills in walnut, paired with the Manistee belt, also in walnut. Shirt is from Modern tailor. Off to an art opening with the wife.

Last edited:

MR_Song

Reaction score

My Dundees have arrived. I gave it a once-over and everything looked good with no apparent defects. The color, which was the aspect of the shoes I was most curious about, looks great. It looked a lot like Alden's cigar shell cordovan in the online pictures, but I had been told that it is in fact lighter. The actual color, without a direct comparison, reminded me a lot of the brown chromexcel found on my 403 Indy boots, but with the typical shell cordovan luster. I'm very happy with the color as it looks good and provides an alternative to the cigar shell.
I ordered the shoes TTS, which is 9D for me. I own a pair of burgundy shell Bradleys in 9.5D and a pair of Wilberts in 9D (both on the 1 last), as well as a pair of Elgins in 8.5D (5 last). For reference, the Bradleys are a tad big but fits well and works fine when I tighten the laces pretty good. I would have bought 9D at the time but they only had 9.5D in stock and after trying on it felt good enough. The Wilbert and Elgin both fit very well for me.
The Dundees, at 9D, kind of feels like the 9.5D Bradleys. Similar to my Bradleys, if I jam my foot as far forward as possible with the laces untied, I can insert my index finger into the heel. The width feels just fine, not at all narrow like I've read about the Malvern. In fact, it almost feels as roomy as the Indy boots on the Alden Truebalance last. So my initial impression of the fit is very good. It's roomy enough for me to wear it with thick socks if I wanted, and can be tightened enough to wear with thin socks (which I'm wearing today as I try on the Dundees).
So my initial impression of the Dundee is very favorable. If no issues manifests as I wear this pair of shoes, I will be totally thrilled with this purchase as these shoes look great to me, fits my foot well, and is made with a limited edition shell cordovan color at a pretty good price.
I know you guys want pics, so I snapped a bunch of them with and without flash. Enjoy:

Next to the Alden Cigar Shell LWB:

Nice Dundees and thanks for sharing! How did you get yours so fast!? I really can't wait to get mind.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing the Black Hills in walnut, paired with the Manistee belt, also in walnut. Shirt is from Modern tailor. Off to an art opening with the wife.

no offense, but yikes.

shoes are fine, but the jeans are "dad jeans", and the blazer is a solid size or too big and way too long.

Pluripotent

Reaction score
no offense, but yikes.
shoes are fine, but the jeans are "dad jeans", and the blazer is a solid size or too big and way too long.

None taken. I didn't post it so much to show off my style (I'll admit I'm pretty new to this) as to get some feedback. I'm probably due for some new jeans. I don't wear jeans much, thought I'd try it for a more casual look. I'm going to have to think about the blazer some... If it's really that big, is tailoring an option still? I didn't think it was that far off.

motosacto

Reaction score
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, the sleeves look fine--you're showing some shirt cuff with your arm hanging straight down and it comes to the first joint on your thumb. With the coat unbuttoned, it's hard to see whether it is boxy or more fitted. It is a little long, however. A tailor won't be able to fix that for a reasonable price. The current fashion, however, is for jackets that are too small. All the skinny-boy models are showing fit that pinches severely when the coat is buttoned, and body lengths that only come down to the wrist (if that). If the jacket isn't too boxy and you're not trying to be 21 again, I think you're fine. Finally, faded jeans are not automatically "dad jeans.". The color contrast with the jacket looks fine. If they're overly baggy (i.e., loose fit like Levi's 550's), then you're in dad jean territory. Shoes look good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads