• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellkamp

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I checked out the McTavish and while it's a nice shoe, I don't think I have the confidence to pull those off yet!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
They do look nice!

Chili McAllisters? Just got a pair in the mail a couple weeks ago, they are beautiful!! Fit in my rotation perfectly with my walnut strands and burgundy mcallisters. Looking back I wish i had went with wheeled edges, makes them look even better I bet.

Last edited:

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
Sorry for not knowing, new to all of this... about to pull the trigger on my 3rd pair in the last 2 weeks (a monster has been created). What is a wheeled edge vs standard? And how does the Independence lining compare to the standard?

Thanks

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
Chili McAllisters? Just got a pair in the mail a couple weeks ago, they are beautiful!! Fit in my rotation perfectly with my walnut strands and burgundy mcallisters. Looking back I wish i had went with wheeled edges, makes them look even better I bet.
Scotty,

Any chance you could post a pic or two of your Chili's?

Shiny

Reaction score

I was on the same quest (an AE version of the RL Marlow) for a long time. The problem is that AE manufactured the shoe (Player's shoe) that would best fit the bill on its worst fitting last (the 2 last). I've always said that if AE could introduce a shoe version of its Dalton boot, it would be the perfect AE version of the RL Marlow and a huge seller. I ended up giving up on AE for this shoe and went to Carmina. I think you'll agree they are not old-mannish, despite the double leather sole and round toe:
Those look nice. Congrats. Are those shell? Calf would be ok with me. I've been tempted by some To Boot shortwings and Mezlan (I think). However, I'm not sure how they are quality wise.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just confirmed that they both go to her. Called her to place an order for my MTO Strands in brown cordovan with independence lining, wheeled edges, chili welt, transparent light brown edge, single JR sole. Can't wait.
So what is the chilli welt? Isn't the wheeled edge going to cover that? You also mention light brown edge. I don't understand which is which?

movoblast

Reaction score
So what is the chilli welt? Isn't the wheeled edge going to cover that? You also mention light brown edge. I don't understand which is which?
I think I will be ordering some burgundy cordovan bayfields MTO but I am confused by all these terms. Can someone define/clarify the difference between the welt, the edge, and what a wheeled edge is? Pictures would be helpful.

Also, I was wondering, are there any captoe boots in the past that are ankle height? The bayfields are nice but I am wishing they only came up to chukka boot/cronmok height. I'm doing google searches of past AE styles that are like the bayfields but ankle height but havent come up with anything.

Last edited:

movoblast

Reaction score
I think I will be ordering some burgundy cordovan bayfields MTO but I am confused by all these terms. Can someone define/clarify the difference between the welt, the edge, and what a wheeled edge is? Pictures would be helpful.

Also, I was wondering, are there any captoe boots in the past that are ankle height? The bayfields are nice but I am wishing they only came up to chukka boot/cronmok height. I'm doing google searches of past AE styles that are like the bayfields but ankle height but havent come up with anything.
I think I might have found some. Allen edmonds medford. Does anyone have any info on the medford or know where I can find some info on them. They look like what I've been looking for in terms of it being captoe + shorter in height. They do look a little clunky though.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the welt is a layer on top of the midsole. You don't have a wheeled edge, the welt is wheeled. The edge is the side of the shoe which encompasses the side of the welt, the midsole and the sole of the shoe. The Fifth Streets are an ankle height cap toe boot, but they have a medallion.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I'm a high school teacher, I rarely wear a suit, but will sometimes wear an odd jacket or a blazer. Typically I wear slacks and dress shirt to work so I'm looking for something nice that is not too formal. I'm 28, slim, but athletic. I was thinking about the Kenilworth or another plain toe but I'll take other suggestions??

I work in a similar environment and recently ordered the discontinued Cacsade in brown during the 2 for $250 sale; the seconds price (when not on sale) should be $159. With its vibram sole, it's definitely on the casual side of the AE spectrum, but the leather really shines up well. Since it's no longer an "active" model, there don't seem to be pics of it on AE's site -- these pics on Lyst are good, but don't show the real quality of the leather. In person, it's definitely more "shoe" than "boot". I picked up some neutral shoe polish (paste wax) from AE at the same time and was surprised by how much better it was than my typical Kiwi stuff. Regardless of what shoe you get, do yourself a favor and pick up the AE wax (and a horsehair brush, if you don't have one).

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand new brown Delrays.

I know they're not the fanciest shoes in the world, but Delrays are my workhorse (I have them in Chili, and I had a real old pair in brown). They're fantastic every day shoes, especially with a pair of chinos or cotton pants. I don't know why SF seems to be lukewarm at best when it comes to them/their split toe, but they're some of the most versatile (and best looking) shoes AE makes. And they're made on the best last there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads