Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Thank you so much for clearing things up.

I think the name of the style I'm looking for is the balmoral boot? I want one with speed hooks and thicker shoe laces like the ones found on the promontory boots. Do you think I can add speed hooks to the fifth streets? I don't really mind the medallion.

Here is a pic that I found on the forums of what I am looking for:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/154268/allen-edmonds-balmoral-boot-in-the-works/60

It is the first pic in that thread posted posted by member jeffswood. That is the EXACT style that I want. Sorry I don't really know what you call that style. Wish I knew what it was called. That is why these forums are so great for learning!

Man those boots in burgundy or brown cordovan would look SOOOO nice.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The Fifth Streets are low enough I don't think you need speed hooks. I don't lace mine through to the top. I have it laced to the second to last hole from the top. I'm not sure which boots you are talking about. There is a derby boot, oxford boot, and balmoral boot in that thread.

3. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Sorry I think it is the derby boot?
    It is the black ones in Jeffswood's pictures.
    Jeffswood describes it as a blucher. Don't know if that is the same as a derby boot.
    Once again I'm sorry for being such an amateur at this.

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

These weren't new - just new to me. However, they arent that worn. Thanks for the compliment though!!!

5. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

Sorry for spamming. I think the ones I showed you may be the bayfields. I basically want the bayfields but chukka boot height. I don't think I can sport boots that come up that high.

6. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

No apologies needed, it's how you learn.

The boot in that photo is indeed the Allen Edmonds Bayfield. You might find some on crazy sale at Lands End, but their QC is apparently hit and miss. Alternately you can scroll back through the last few months' worth of posts and get the general gist that one can call Styleforvm Special Crack Support Employee Allison at Allen Edmonds who can arrange for a Bayfield to be made to your specifications (any size they offer, any leather they offer, nearly any detailing you want that doesn't involve modifying the leather pattern) over the span of about eight weeks.

(full disclaimer: I did the above last week, for a size 14AA Bayfield in English Tan Dublin leather with a heavy lugged sole and some other wacky details, and am way excited about its arrival late next month.)

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Got an email late today notifying me that my webgem shell cordovan Jeffersons shipped today. Woo Hoo. Can't wait. I will post pics as soon as they arrive.

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

+1 That is my understanding and basically what Allison said when she asked what welt color I wanted. I didn't think I needed to specify for a flat welt. I thought I knew about shoes, but I was schooled. Also, there is no Chili edge dressing, it's only a welt color. Allison mentioned there's confusion about this. The welt edges that look more natural or "wood-like" are the transparent ones.

I think the last and the shoe is great. I agree that they are a versatile shoe. I think heavier stitching on the apron/split toe would give it a little more character. The Parkway is similar, but a 3 last and split toe don't appeal to me.

Nice. I'm excited to see them [​IMG]

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I would confirm this. If you want a specific welt it would suck to get a type of welt you didn't want on an MTO.

10. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I got a ship confirmation tonight for the shell Jeffersons as well. Considering that I ordered them on their last day of availability, I'm kind of surprised that they are ready so quick (of course, AE did promise delivery by 10/15). I should see them on Monday.:slayer:

11. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I meant that I didn't think I did, but Allison asked me :). I went with the Chili welt.

12. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Good advice. As I already have a black chukka (albeit with a lug Vibram sole), I will stick with the Leeds. I'll save my first MTO for something unique. (Did anyone else feel like they were buying drugs when they called Allison for the first time? "Um, yeah, some people on SF said you were the one I should talk to....).

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Edit

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Double post

15. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

How long ago did you place your order? Mine only rang up last week and then yesterday I had the shoe size adjusted so I know I must wait several more weeks before they ship. Hopefully my Patriots ship on time though.

I can't wait to see your pictures!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.