1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

I agree it might be a nice option to offer the custom seconds at a discount, at the same time AE probably needs to be making the maximum profit possible on these orders due to the additional costs of processing the orders (i.e. when they stopped allowing the MTO option on discontinued styles the sales probably weren't profitable enough). When I think of customs programs for most things I tend to think that the final product should be absolutely perfect, but I agree the wait can feel like it is more of a hassel than what the small imperfections are worth.

2. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Personally it does not matter who gets the seconds on the mto's that someone commissions with the caveat that they (original customer)receive an opportunity to purchase them first. Obviously the individual who took the time to design the shoe/boot and who had to deal with the delay should be afforded the opportunity to have first crack at the seconds.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I finally received a shipping confirmation on the Stanfords, that I purchased during the 20% off clearance sale more than 5 weeks ago, and should be delivered tomorrow.

5. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

My Gaziano and Girling MTOs are very similar, and great shoes, although they're quite heavy to wear..

Smart but very solid!!!:):):)

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

How is everyone size on the Macneil compared to the 5 and 1 lasts?

AE says the 1 last has a fuller fitting toe compared to the 7 last. I am debating if an 8.5D would be my size or an 8D in the Macneil.

I own these already:
    Leeds 8.5D - fits very well
    Dundee 8.5D - Might need a tongue pad, 8E may have been better
    McAllister - 8D fits good
    Kenwood - 8D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

I would go with the Leeds 8.5D

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I edited my post, sorry. I am looking for sizing info on the Macneil compared to some other shoes that I own already.

I have been interested in a pair of longwings from Alden for a while but I don't know if i can justify the price jump when I could grab some Macneil seconds for 2/3 the price.

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I size TTS. I wear the same in the Leeds as the McAllister. I wear a 9D in those shoes. For the McAllister I wear an 8.5E but I'm on the wider side of a D width.

10. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Hey guys, looking to replace the laces in my burgundy shell Dalton's with flat waxed ones, but i'm not really sure what color I should use. Brown seems a little off, but I think black might be too must of a contrast? Does anyone have pictures of theirs? Do anyone have any suggestions?

11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Thanks!

Well I went with the same size as my Leeds and snagged a pair of 8.5D cordovan Macneil seconds from the bay. Can't argue with only slightly higher price compared to the $299 seconds sale that recently passed. I guess I won't be picking up Alden 975s anytime soon.

Quote:
    Try getting some Alden flat waxed laces, they are a very dark brown and I think would look great on the burgundy shell Dalton.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Oh, I don't consider it a mess. Like I originally said, it's more just a case of "don't shoot the messenger." I just regurgitated what AE stated in their marketing of the shoes and mixed it with applicable shoe knowledge. If there is a discrepancy, it's not on me to justify it. The facts are what they are. It's always possible that they changed the way they manufacture the shoes as well. I really don't know. What I do know is that what we see in some of the photos doesn't agree with some of the terms AE used to describe it.

13. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I've always been a fan of the color of them. Any idea where I could order some? I am located in Canada.

14. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I would buy the black for everyday use and navy blue for when I want to change things up. The brown may be too light for burgundy.

15. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Not sure if this has been asked before...

With respect to the current Webgem offering of MacNeil 5, what is the difference between:

9006 Burgundy Leather with Leather Sole and 9016 Burgundy Leather with Leather Sole?

Also, are they double or single sole?

TIA.

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

You would have to call and ask, but I would assume it is welt and edge color, possibly lining color, and contrast stitching.

17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1 I really like the color of Alden's flat laces they use in color 8.

18. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

1. Looks like 9006 is contrast stitching; 9016 is tone on tone
    2. They appear to be single sole, which sucks, imo

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

^^^^

Thanks. Yeah, the single sole kind of sucks.

Probably best to buy the BB MacNeil seconds from Shoebank and then sand down the black sole edging to give it a natural edge.

20. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I'm sure Allison could help with that . . .

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.