1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrance

barrance Member

Received my 2/$250 order last week. Got the Walnut Parkways and Cognac Ridgeways, both in 10D.

The Parkways were actually in great condition and I had to try hard to find the defect. I suspect it could have been a small dent on the tip of the toe which was easily buff-able, but other than that, it was in better than expected shape for a second. Alas, it runs a little too long, so I have to exchange it for a 9.5D.

The Ridgeways actually fit okay, but were clearly second quality. There was some wrinkling in the leather of the inside quarter of the right shoe. Not a big deal and I could have lived with it, but the orange welt was a little too much for me, and orange is my favorite color too. I asked the associate if I could do an exchange and he said that he would send me a current list of 9.5D closeouts to choose from.

2. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

They look brown to me. Bourbon is lighter than that in the shoes that I've seen. I can't recall having ever seen dark brown calf as an option for Strands (but it's certainly possible I just missed it), although those could always be an MTO.

3. rc121

rc121 Senior member

minor dings? I'm pretty lenient with certain defects on seconds, but that is not ok. I would accept the small dark ring that he is referring to but I would not accept that entire section of the leather that is terribly wrinkled. That looks terrible.

4. clb89

clb89 Member

Its available in brown burnished calf

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This. I suspect the only reason this is being debated (and that AE said it was not a defect) is that OP keeps describing it as a burnishing issue that could be polished over, when the picture shows something much more concerning.

6. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I'm having a hard time understanding how these could be classify as "firsts". To me these are seconds - no question. If you paid $300-ish I would exchange them for another pair. And, AE's customer service is fantastic and I can't see them having a problem with your doing so.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Has the OP worn these shoes yet (and how often?) or are they still NIB?

If the former, I see nothing wrong. If the latter, take them into a physical store and exchange them.

8. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

I've just noticed these new web gems and got quite excited as I missed out on last year's burgundy MacNeils.

Just looking at the details on these shoes and it says they are on the 65 last.
    Can this be right?

My own MacNeils are on the 97 last and fit like a glove.

Burgundy with Dainite soles would be my choice, but really not sure about that last and sizing. I'm in Europe so cannot try them on.

****************************************************************************************************************************

EDIT: Okay, I just did a web chat with an AE rep on their website and it seems that there's no misprint. These Macneils will sadly be on the 65 last.

So, no sale for me, but some of you may like them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  9. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Ok so I had the exactly same problem and ended up returning it. But I got another pair that is clearly been tried on by multiple people judging by the creasing. It also has creasing on areas that shouldnt be creased at all. I ended up just ignored it.

So far I got 3 pairs of first shoes all of them have more flaws than the good 2nd quality shoes posted here? What is up with that?

10. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

For everyone who bought the 2 for 250 deal, did you get your shoes in the exact same shipment? I only got half of my order so far.

11. delmar

delmar Senior member

The guy has already admitted that he has not only worn them, he has done some fiddling around with polishing them. AE customer service is fantastic, but if they take the shoes back they won't be able to sell them as firsts or seconds. The shoes will probably end up being sold on ebay by the Hitch-n-Post for a song to someone who wouldn't care about the dimple/wrinkles--all because of a "flaw" that wouldn't even be noticeable after wearing them for a week.

12. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I just spoke to customer service and they claim all of the new webgems use Chromexcel leather. I thought that was confusing since one was named "Cognac" which I assumed meant Cognac Dublin Leather. Obviously I can't verify this info and the CS rep did seem a little unsure, be they are claiming they're all Chromexcel. For what it's worth....

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I disagree that oval flaw on a bourbon shoe is pretty pronounced especially for a first...I have never returned a shoe yet but would those. and it looks like there is a line running up and down that got missed by the burnish all together.

Have to say perhaps it is the camera but they look nothing like bourbon to me

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

They come from whatever location had them in stock so yes split shipments are probably the norm

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

ugh....I have been wanting to try a half size down and width up in 65 last and this may now sadly give me a reason....

It seems only the Burgundy with white sole is on the 65 last the burgundy with Dainite is on 97

16. froggy41

froggy41 Member

I asked this question earlier this morning. I'm really interested in pulling the trigger on a pair of RL Singletons. Can anyone vouch for their fit? I wear a 9.5D in Stands.

17. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Alright buddy, just for you:

[​IMG]

I purchased both shoes in 9.5D. I would say the singleton is narrower in the heel, though slightly roomier in the toebox. The flex point for the singletons is a little higher up on the shoe making them slightly less comfortable to walk in before break-in. All told I would still order the same size.

1 person likes this.
  18. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Where do you see that?
    All are with the 65 last as far as I can see.
    And the name of the shoe is the MacNeil 5, which I guess is a clue.

97 last and I'd buy a pair.

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Someone earlier was mentioning how odd it was that someone at a function had a black suite with brown suede loafer shoes and the ridiculous nature of it...I believe you can blame GQ as they did some kind of fashion thing with that exact makeup....

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Actually when the shoe comes up in the pop up it says 97 last yet when you click on to bring up the web page it says 65

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.