Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Oh great now they are gone from the AE site already what did everyone cause them to do pull them!? But from what I recall they were Dublin leather. I have owned Mountaineering boots since the 70's and gone through the transition from Approach boots, single and double, etc. And look for crampon compatible boots which I do not believe those were either. Do you know what is up with the tanker boot strap they have on them? I have never seen anyone at Alpine level wearing boots with straps at that point. Only boots I have seen it on are some RL boots. Which I certainly would never take above tree line.

2. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

No one even mentioned the price this time! haha

3. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Need a quick answer about fit. I wear a 12D in the 1-511 last comfortably; ie the dalton boot, a touch snug on the side of the foot for the first hour I got them, now they're great. Toes come fairly close to the end. Do you think that an 11.5E would work in the 2 last?

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

There are a plethora of leather, made-in-usa alpine boots that don't look like ass, and from companies that are more experienced with creating boots for that purpose.

That boot is an abortion, just like many of AE's newer offerings the past few years; but obviously their P&L says otherwise.

The 5th street is still easily the best AE boot in my mind, followed by the Bayfield and finally the Dalton.

This has potential:

[​IMG]

Yet another variation on the AExWolverine last:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks, MacktasticGDogg! So according to this, I think the best choice would be the 9.5US, correct?

6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

Did anyone else receive a package from Allen Edmonds filled with brochures and a 2013 priceless? Just showed up today, cost AE $5 to send it to me.

7. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I got the same package. I too was surprised that AE spent $5 on Priority Mail to have it sent. It almost seemed like the brochures and price list were intended for a retailer.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Actually, after much trial and error it seems that on the 5 last I'm in fact a EE. On others like the 1 an E width works for me. Life could be way worse...

9. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Will anybody here venture into the new AE clothing lines? I think they have a nice niche in the shoe market, but I'm not sold on Allen Edmonds clothes. It seems like they are trying to expand for the sake of expanding only without really bringing anything special to the table.

10. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

The soles look somewhat like the Clarks Desert Boot, and one of the Rancourt's offerings. Good to know about the sole, and how it lives up to the daily grind.

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Quote:Some of us spend enough on the brand to be a retailer! Any new models of note that arent on the site yet?

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I received that in the mail today too. I,too, thought it looked like it was intended for a retailer. Especially with the back page or two showing displays and such that are available. I got excited and thought for a moment I could order that stuff!

13. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

Well, you aren't missing a ton on Gilt's shoe sales anyhow. I haven't seen much available to intrigue me. They seem to carry a lot of styles that AE has on clearance anyway. They don't carry the popular ones like the Strand, Mcallister, Park Ave, etc. Also no burgundy offerings.

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Received 5 pairs. 2 pairs on Saturday and 3 pairs today.

Sanford – Walnut
    PA – Grey Cloud
    Players – Navy suede
    RL Illford – Tan Khaki
    LaSalle - Chili Burnished

I should permanently leave this thread…

15. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

They wouldn't be my first choice for anything... unless I was judging the ugliest AE shoe contest. I can't recall any hiking boot with a stupid strap in the middle of it like that... It's completely impractical.

It takes a special kind of dumb for someone to wear AE's whilst hiking above the treeline. Anyone who is an avid enough hiker to be doing that sort of thing buys real hiking boots, from a hiking boot manufacturing company, just as a businessman would buy AE shoes to wear to the office instead of Nike dress shoes.

AE wasn't attempting to make a fully functional alpine boot on this one, they were attempting to grab another, hideous boot wearing, demographic with this boot... If such a demographic even exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.