• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In defense of the Sun Valley, those are an Alpine Boot. They aren't meant to be worn casually, or as just every day boots, but as a specific type of hiking boot. If you need an alpine boot, you already know it. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are really glad that there's a high-quality, Made in USA, non synthetic material alpine boot available at a reasonable price.
Oh great now they are gone from the AE site already what did everyone cause them to do pull them!? But from what I recall they were Dublin leather. I have owned Mountaineering boots since the 70's and gone through the transition from Approach boots, single and double, etc. And look for crampon compatible boots which I do not believe those were either. Do you know what is up with the tanker boot strap they have on them? I have never seen anyone at Alpine level wearing boots with straps at that point. Only boots I have seen it on are some RL boots. Which I certainly would never take above tree line.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Oh great now they are gone from the AE site already what did everyone cause them to do pull them!? But from what I recall they were Dublin leather. I have owned Mountaineering boots since the 70's and gone through the transition from Approach boots, single and double, etc. And look for crampon compatible boots which I do not believe those were either. Do you know what is up with the tanker boot strap they have on them? I have never seen anyone at Alpine level wearing boots with straps at that point. Only boots I have seen it on are some RL boots. Which I certainly would never take above tree line.
No one even mentioned the price this time! haha

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Need a quick answer about fit. I wear a 12D in the 1-511 last comfortably; ie the dalton boot, a touch snug on the side of the foot for the first hour I got them, now they're great. Toes come fairly close to the end. Do you think that an 11.5E would work in the 2 last?

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In defense of the Sun Valley, those are an Alpine Boot. They aren't meant to be worn casually, or as just every day boots, but as a specific type of hiking boot. If you need an alpine boot, you already know it. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are really glad that there's a high-quality, Made in USA, non synthetic material alpine boot available at a reasonable price.

There are a plethora of leather, made-in-usa alpine boots that don't look like ass, and from companies that are more experienced with creating boots for that purpose.

That boot is an abortion, just like many of AE's newer offerings the past few years; but obviously their P&L says otherwise.

The 5th street is still easily the best AE boot in my mind, followed by the Bayfield and finally the Dalton.

This has potential:

Yet another variation on the AExWolverine last:

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Carmina Rain last is pretty close to a perfect fit for me at 8UK (Rain lasted balmorals close almost all the way without overlapping at the seam for me). Almost all of my AE's are 9D and I would say most of them fit well. The 1 & 5 lasts work better for me than 4 and 7 due to more height at the toe box, but otherwise fits at 9D.

Thanks, MacktasticGDogg! So according to this, I think the best choice would be the 9.5US, correct?

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Did anyone else receive a package from Allen Edmonds filled with brochures and a 2013 priceless? Just showed up today, cost AE $5 to send it to me.

DJTraveler

Reaction score

Did anyone else receive a package from Allen Edmonds filled with brochures and a 2013 priceless? Just showed up today, cost AE $5 to send it to me.

I got the same package. I too was surprised that AE spent $5 on Priority Mail to have it sent. It almost seemed like the brochures and price list were intended for a retailer.

Last edited:

AdamAdam

Reaction score

They do, but it very much depends on their stock. It's a bit of a crapshoot if you're an E, but at least you aren't a rarer width like EE.

For clothes, I've seen a few sizes that came in short since I'm a 38s (suit size) myself.

Actually, after much trial and error it seems that on the 5 last I'm in fact a EE. On others like the 1 an E width works for me. Life could be way worse...

dapperdoctor

Reaction score

Will anybody here venture into the new AE clothing lines? I think they have a nice niche in the shoe market, but I'm not sold on Allen Edmonds clothes. It seems like they are trying to expand for the sake of expanding only without really bringing anything special to the table.

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score

I don't have the Mojaves but my understanding is that the sole is the same type used on the McTavish (which I do have).  If true, I'd imagine that the sole would get dirty pretty quickly as mine seems to pick up much more dirty and oil than my Amoks or other shoes...

The soles look somewhat like the Clarks Desert Boot, and one of the Rancourt's offerings. Good to know about the sole, and how it lives up to the daily grind.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Quote:
Some of us spend enough on the brand to be a retailer! Any new models of note that arent on the site yet?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I received that in the mail today too. I,too, thought it looked like it was intended for a retailer. Especially with the back page or two showing displays and such that are available. I got excited and thought for a moment I could order that stuff!

PlaceboFX

Reaction score

Actually, after much trial and error it seems that on the 5 last I'm in fact a EE. On others like the 1 an E width works for me. Life could be way worse...

Well, you aren't missing a ton on Gilt's shoe sales anyhow. I haven't seen much available to intrigue me. They seem to carry a lot of styles that AE has on clearance anyway. They don't carry the popular ones like the Strand, Mcallister, Park Ave, etc. Also no burgundy offerings.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received 5 pairs. 2 pairs on Saturday and 3 pairs today.

Sanford – Walnut
PA – Grey Cloud
Players – Navy suede
RL Illford – Tan Khaki
LaSalle - Chili Burnished

I should permanently leave this thread…

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I agree. If I needed a boot like that, those would probably be my first choice.
They wouldn't be my first choice for anything... unless I was judging the ugliest AE shoe contest. I can't recall any hiking boot with a stupid strap in the middle of it like that... It's completely impractical.

It takes a special kind of dumb for someone to wear AE's whilst hiking above the treeline. Anyone who is an avid enough hiker to be doing that sort of thing buys real hiking boots, from a hiking boot manufacturing company, just as a businessman would buy AE shoes to wear to the office instead of Nike dress shoes.

AE wasn't attempting to make a fully functional alpine boot on this one, they were attempting to grab another, hideous boot wearing, demographic with this boot... If such a demographic even exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads