Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I guess it's hard to say. For me Carmina 8UK in Rain, Inca, and Forest lasts all translates to US 9D in AEs. I do have a pair of Bradley's in 9.5D that fits fine as long as I tighten the laces pretty good. I guess you should give size 9.5D a try and see if it works out.

2. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Your real name is Thumper? [​IMG]

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

There is a good thread on AAAC about this. Paul quickly jumped in and explained that as long as men are in an AE store shopping for shoes he wanted to offer other options for them. I'm pretty well set on what fits me and doesn't based on brand so it will have to be a really good fit for me to switch. Next time I am at an AE store I will try a sportcoat on if they have them to check them out. One of the best posts on AAAC in that thread was someone saying they were going to wait for the blazerbank to open before he purchased a sportcoat from AE.

4. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Sure, I'll post an update once I've worn them a few times.

At a minimum, I also put toe taps on my leather-soled shoes. I've never tried the tap sole and toe tap combination tho. I've noticed that one or the other is usually enough. Also, I use rubber toe taps since they seem to be less flashy (than steel) and more floor-friendly. I figure I can just easily have them replaced when they get really thin. Here's how they look installed (they're about 2-3mm thick at the front):

[​IMG]

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think this thread has become AE's focus group for evaluating new styles. If so, please start producing a Dalton boot in brown shell.

6. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. This thread and it's equivalent at AAAC, I think.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

They do. Simply email CS about the Style Forum MTO and you can order them at no up charge. Problem solved :)

8. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

+1 [​IMG]

9. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Likewise. It's a very nice gesture -- it's good to see where they're going as a company, and there's something really nice about holding a thick well-produced catalog of fantastic products; it reminded me of working in bicycle shops.

On the other hand, it's depressing how few shoes are offered in size charts 1 or 27 (in the Fall supplement, just two of the twenty eight shoes showcased). At least I can continue to proselytize at my friends with more normal feet.

10. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I assume that a local cobbler installed the toe taps. How much were they and are you located in Chicago by chance? Anybody have recommendations for a Chicago cobbler?

11. jch1

jch1 Senior member

How on earth did you find a pair of navy players? I may see about a mto order of those.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Therein lies my dilemna. I love the look of the Ralph Lauren Lindrick and the Dalton in brown shell, but the reality is that I probably wouldn't wear them very much. I'm in suits too much to wear them for work and typically dressing casual enough on weekends where a more casual boot like the Long Branch makes more sense. It's impractical for me to spend $800 for a boot that I would not wear very much. Now, if it went into mass production, I'm sure I could find a way to justify $400 for a pair of seconds.

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I like the look of the Fifth Street boot in brown shell. That would be more suit friendly for you...

14. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Yes, a local cobbler did that; however, I am currently not in the US. The cobbler charged me about $10 for the rubber toe tap. I've been to B Nelson before when I was still living in nyc. They do excellent work there too (although turn around was a little slow). If you can't find a good cobbler in Chicago, you may want to consider just sending all your shoes to nyc in one go.

For reference, this was how they were starting to look like before the toe taps (worn 2x):

[​IMG]

15. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Pure luck. Ever since I saw navy suede players , I knew I had to have a pair. During labor day sale I found 1 last pair in 8.5 EEE (seconds). I am a 8 EEE but still pulled the trigger(I had to). They fit ok. Just a tiny bit long. They are beautiful - I just love them. I can't wait to wear them. I will take a group photo tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.