• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
by my estimation the websites belonging to other shoemakers have pictures that are far more accurate representations of their shoes. Whereas the Allenedmonds.com pictures are clearly not photos at all. They are more like a digital re-creation of the shoe than an actual photo.

clearly going to a store is the best way, but going to a store where I live means devoting an entire day to looking at some shoes that I may or may not buy. Also, when I spend $350+ on shoes I like to take my time, and think about my prospective purchase, a process that for me takes weeks if not months. I spend an hour or two every day weighing my shoe options, and it's hard to come to a conclusion when I know in the back of my mind that the pictures I'm looking at are not pictures at all.

I feel very uncomfortable going to a store and meticulously comparing all of the shoes. Couple that with the fact that most of the shoes and colors that I want to try on/inspect/compare are not even available at the store that makes going to the store an impractical option for a full time worker, student, husband, and father of a newborn child.

Real pictures of real shoes, and possibly with real people wearing them. Is that too much to ask???

I want to know what the shoes really look like, not what the fine men and women at Allen Edmonds want me to think this looks like. Either stock the stores with all models and colors, or put real pictures on the website. I don't feel like this is too much to ask. Other websites have real photos of the shoes, why can't allen edmonds have real photos too?

I'm not upset about this, but I think it's a reasonable request, and something that wouldn't be a difficult, or cost intensive option.

I mean...there is free shipping both ways. On top of that, I think that the AE site is actually the most honest of all the major shoe companies. To Boot New York? Antonio Maurizi? Those are the sites I would agree need some more realistic pictures. If I remember correctly, the thread covered this very issue not too long ago...and actually came to the opposite conclusion. I am with you that perhaps the main picture might look a bit photoshopped, however, the remaining profile, overhead, rear, and quarter shots are pretty accurate. Also, you can check out Zappos which has videos of pretty much all of AE's shoes.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it was nice and sunny in SoCal today and I decided to take my shell on a field trip. I'm sure anyone who passed by was wondering what kind of grown man takes pictures of his shoes.

Here are my shell shoes:

The ever-popular walnut shell cordovan. For those of you who wondered what the difference is between walnut and cappuccino, take a look at the Shelton on the right:

The difference between Cappuccino on the left and Brown on the right. There does not to be much difference between these two pairs, but remember there is variation between even the same color of shell. It's hard to explain, but my cappuccino shell glows almost "golden" in person.

The three MacNeils:

New burgundy on the left, vs. old burgundy on the right.

From left to right: brown, cappuccino, walnut, ndew burgundy, old burgundy, black.

Now the only real question is: can I ship all of them to Cold Iron so he can shine them so they actually glow like his?

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

So it was nice and sunny in SoCal today and I decided to take my shell on a field trip. I'm sure anyone who passed by was wondering what kind of grown man takes pictures of his shoes.

Here are my shell shoes:

The ever-popular walnut shell cordovan. For those of you who wondered what the difference is between walnut and cappuccino, take a look at the Shelton on the right:

The difference between Cappuccino on the left and Brown on the right. There does not to be much difference between these two pairs, but remember there is variation between even the same color of shell. It's hard to explain, but my cappuccino shell glows almost "golden" in person.

The three MacNeils:

New burgundy on the left, vs. old burgundy on the right.

From left to right: brown, cappuccino, walnut, ndew burgundy, old burgundy, black.

Now the only real question is: can I ship all of them to Cold Iron so he can shine them so they actually glow like his?
Beautiful collection! Makes me want some cappuccino and walnut shell AE even more.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for "old" burgundy. I prefer red to eggplant. I wonder if persistent application of the Mac process is alt to bring out more red over time.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So it was nice and sunny in SoCal today and I decided to take my shell on a field trip. I'm sure anyone who passed by was wondering what kind of grown man takes pictures of his shoes. Here are my shell shoes:
The ever-popular walnut shell cordovan. For those of you who wondered what the difference is between walnut and cappuccino, take a look at the Shelton on the right: The difference between Cappuccino on the left and Brown on the right. There does not to be much difference between these two pairs, but remember there is variation between even the same color of shell. It's hard to explain, but my cappuccino shell glows almost "golden" in person. The three MacNeils: New burgundy on the left, vs. old burgundy on the right. From left to right: brown, cappuccino, walnut, ndew burgundy, old burgundy, black. Now the only real question is: can I ship all of them to Cold Iron so he can shine them so they actually glow like his?
Nice collection, thank you for sharing with us.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I mean...there is free shipping both ways. On top of that, I think that the AE site is actually the most honest of all the major shoe companies. To Boot New York? Antonio Maurizi? Those are the sites I would agree need some more realistic pictures. If I remember correctly, the thread covered this very issue not too long ago...and actually came to the opposite conclusion. I am with you that perhaps the main picture might look a bit photoshopped, however, the remaining profile, overhead, rear, and quarter shots are pretty accurate. Also, you can check out Zappos which has videos of pretty much all of AE's shoes.

yeah... I know AE's customer service is outstanding. I'm just making a suggestion that I believe is perfectly reasonable. I know zappos has some better photos, which is why I was wondering why AE can't do something similar. If they don't it's no skin off my back, it's just a suggestion.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about improving the Allen Edmonds website just wondering how many others think that it would be useful to have a link on the Allen Edmonds website to see the lists of Seconds and other sale items, rather than having to call and have the list emailed to you. It might increase sales and free up staff time at the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank and outlet stores.

tampatravel

Reaction score

Talking about improving the Allen Edmonds website just wondering how many others think that it would be useful to have a link on the Allen Edmonds website to see the lists of Seconds and other sale items, rather than having to call and have the list emailed to you.  It might increase sales and free up staff time at the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank and outlet stores.

This is a great idea...even if they just emailed us out a list every two weeks or so with the sizes we've requested. Something like The Shoe Mart does with their Aldens. If someone who worked there would post them on here, why it'd be even better. There would though...be more of a stampede for shoes if there was a GREAT deal. I don't mind jumping through the hoops. Come to think of it...most outlets want NOTHING to do with a web presence.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
This is a great idea...even if they just emailed us out a list every two weeks or so with the sizes we've requested. Something like The Shoe Mart does with their Aldens. If someone who worked there would post them on here, why it'd be even better. There would though...be more of a stampede for shoes if there was a GREAT deal. I don't mind jumping through the hoops. Come to think of it...most outlets want NOTHING to do with a web presence.

I think this makes sense. I don't think the mass market is acquainted with the availability of seconds. If they all knew about it, I am guessing that the sale of firsts - the bread and butter of AE - would decrease dramatically, as the real difference between firsts and seconds is negligible as far as we can all tell. Furthermore, it would decrease the exclusivity of the brand, which is another appeal of buyers. If you look at brands like Jos. Banks, the perceived exclusivity of the brand is always diminished every time they have a sale - there is a reason that Brooks Brothers seems so much nicer despite having pretty comparable inputs; it's because they are not always doing 3 for 1 sales (side note: I do realize at the moment they are doing a 3 for 1 sale on non-irons, but hopefully my point stands). Why does Alden seem so premium compared to Allen Edmonds? Again - I would venture to guess that Alden's labor and materials inputs are not much different than AE's. BUT - they can charge the premium price because of the exclusivity of the brand; only people who can pay $500 for a pair of calfskin shoes can "join the club." The people who buy into the club therefore derive some sort of value out of the smaller customer base, and can then justify to themselves that the shoes are indeed more valuable, because of the way they feel rather than any objective measure. I would wager that AE will never include an option to buy seconds on their or any website, for these reasons.

Shiny

Reaction score

Talking about improving the Allen Edmonds website just wondering how many others think that it would be useful to have a link on the Allen Edmonds website to see the lists of Seconds and other sale items, rather than having to call and have the list emailed to you.  It might increase sales and free up staff time at the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank and outlet stores.

I would vote that we keep the seconds sales exclusive to this thread (if at all possible) or others like dappered.com. Word starts getting out to those deal sites and you're gonna see a flood of orders to the best AE 2nds shoes in a few hours. I prefer calling the shoebank and getting the list of my sized shoes. No need to expose the goose that lays the golden (shoe) eggs.

tietherope

Reaction score

I'm in Canada which means that shipping is $45 per order (almost half of some shoes on the seconds list and a third of Brooks Brothers Strands) and while I haven't returned any of my orders yet, return shipping is not covered from what I'm told. I'd agree in my case that real pictures would be nice. Doesn't need to be in the wild, but they can easily hire a photographer. I'd argue my Cognac McTavish posted a few pages back is absolutely nothing like the colour shown on the website.

I understand defending a company, but remove the company from it for a minute. Wouldn't you want to see a 100% representation of anything you are buying?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads