1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:Looks like it could be walnut, the sole edge looks to be light, where as on bourbon, it is black. Good looking either way

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Pretty sure it's Walnut.

This is random, but I sure love my Daltons.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I personally would not wear the Sanford with denim, no matter the color of Sanford or the color of denim. There are many other models - IMO - that are more appropriate with denim.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

Friend, what are you waiting for? :D

1 person likes this.
  6. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

When i lace my shoes using display lacing, i always enter from the inside of the top eyelets outward. you can say it's cheating, but it's unreasonable not to have the top part of the quarters tied down snugly. i think most people that use display lacing finish it off that way.

and I don't think display lacing is intrinsically harder to tighten than standard criss-cross--you just have to know what direction you need to pull each segment of shoelace (i.e., usually not the direction most of us are used to, since most of us probably grew up with criss-cross lacing).

7. sevenfoldtieguy

I would suggest there are many shoe collections exceeding 20 for which the owner is proud of (1) the quality of his shoes, (2) his ability to wear and enjoy them all, and (3) the care he is able to impart.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Is the Eagle County $197 MTO sale still going on?

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Those are just walnut calf. That's a pretty old picture, and predates their current bourbon line.

1 person likes this.
  10. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I agree SFTG. I was just probably having a bad morning. haha

11. TheGreatUnwashe

TheGreatUnwashe Member

Hello,

I've recently started collecting allen edmonds shoes for my "business casual" environment. This range from wool slacks and a nice button down long sleeve, to sharp looking cotton slacks or chinos. No polo shirts, jeans, or anything of that nature.

I feel into the allure of shoes and bought stuff more on the formal side. I currently have:

Burgundy McAllisters
    Bourbon Mora 2.0's (double monk straps)
    Walnut Daltons (for friday casual wear, can't decide if it is appropriate to mix these in with Monday - Thursday BC wear)
    Medium Brown Suede Mojave Chukkas

Also, I have two "cheap" pairs of banana republic shoes that I'd like to phase out. Those consist of:

A darker brown neumok plain toe blucher
    A reddish-brown penny loafer.

I'm thinking I should replace the loafer with something like the AE Patriot in Burnished Brown, and then looking at some sort of suede or neumok blucher, possibly wing-tipped. What would you recommend in the AE line to extend the versatility of my collection?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  12. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Got in on the $50/$100 off sale and picked up the Eastport (Tan) and the McTavish (natural). Not sure i'm sold on the Eastport, but i've got time to think about it. The McTavish, though. . .WOW. I knew I wanted a pair, but these things are even more stunning in person! Problem is that there's an issue with mine that I'm not sure I can look past. . .even though they're seconds:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the stitching is coming loose on the top of one of the heels. I know they're the rough collection, so I can look past a lot of "wear" type stuff, but this really bothers me. I emailed the shoebank to see if they can fix this issue. Anyone have any experience with the shoebank fixing something like this? I'm pretty sure they're the only pair in my size (they were at the time of the order), so an exchange isn't really in the cards.

The only other issue I can find of them is this:
    [​IMG]

I can totally live with that if they can fix the stitching! Also have to get used to the lace gap I get with this last. I get it with my Park Aves and Strands as well. Anything wider and they slip around. I just have a really high instep. They're comfortable, though, so that's all that matters!:
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic of the shoes for good measure. . .they're really stunning!
    [​IMG]

-James

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Considering that they are a part of the rough collection (and they are factory seconds), I think I would be fine with those shoes personally. They still look great and without staring at them from 12 inches away, I am not going to notice the small flaws.

-Mike

14. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I concur - especially the part in bold - it's just the stitching i'm worried about. If you click on the closeup, you can see that the stitching is pulling out. They ARE stunning, though!!

-James

15. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

I've got a pair of black strands coming on Friday, but was thinking about having a tap sole put on since I'm in Oregon and it rains a lot.

Can I just have a local guy put the tap sole on, or do I need to send them to AE? About what should I expect to pay to have it done?

Will I have any problems with recrafting when the time comes?

16. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Just your local guy, I've done this for nearly all my AE's (I'm in Vancouver BC) and they are still recraftable. J

17. Sprint76

Sprint76 Member

Second pair of AEs showed up today (strand seconds).

[​IMG]

What they're replacing:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Senior member

You should go with a straight bar lace. I think it would look classier that way.

19. mdubs

Yeah, I believe several have stated that that may be fixable. Maybe try and contact AE's customer service center. I don't think that those few loose stitches will cause the shoe to come apart. I have done worse by brushing shoes. :)

-Mike

20. mdubs

I agree, but regardless it's a huge step up!

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.