1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Are you sure you purchased the right size? I ask because several posters (including myself) get heel slip in most loafers but not in our Patriots. The Patriot is made for a low instep and comes with a sole that seems more pliable than most AE's right out of the box, so I would question size if you are getting significant heel slip.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Can't remember which one, but I think either the JAB Fifth Avenue version or the Park Avenue version is made on the 8 last.

3. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior Member

Well I do have flat feet, wear insoles and have pretty skinny ankles. I'm guessing they won't break in as I would like?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Every time I see or even type MWS I think Money Well Said instead of MoneyWellSpent. And once again, as always, he did say it well.

I agree that tensile strength has little meaning in shoes, that was my first thought when I saw it. It is the wrong metric for shoes and longevity. Abrasion resistance is usually at the top of my list and how the leather recovers to it. Bird hunting from Western NC up through the middle Atlantic States along the Appalachian Mountain backbone shreds boots in just a few years. As does pheasant hunting in the prairies of South and North Dakota. And many other places for that matter.

My oldest pair of shell are my burgundy Leeds although they have ~20 years to go to hit the 30 year mark. My black calf Leeds are older by a few years. They are my first AE calf and shell shoes and I rotated between them for quite a few years before getting into collecting other shoes and boots. I thought those 2 were all I needed for a long time, truth be told you can go a long ways on a pair of black and burgundy shoes. Hard to see the tips of the soles here but they are worn down to almost a knife edge and have plastic taps on them. The soles are fine though and there is a reason so many of us really like the double soles especially J&R, they last! Heels are cheap to replace at ~$20 and you can replace a lot of heels before the sole needs replaced. Then again I hate the run down at the heel look.

[​IMG]

Even regular leather shoes and boots will last more than 30 years, I have a pair of steel toed Naval Engineering boots that are older than that (cowhide) made by the cheapest bidder. I wore them every other day for the first 10 years and exposed them on a regular basis to saltwater, hydraulic fluid, oil, jet fuel, diesel fuel marine, fighting fires and fire suppression chemicals. I only used Kiwi polish on them and once in awhile shaving cream to strip them. When there isn't a shoe store for hundreds of miles around you do what you have to do. The last 20 years they haven't seen a lot of use but I could put them back into duty right now if I wanted to. They are rotting from the inside out because they were so filled with sweat after a 16-20 hour day in the tropics that I had to pour the sweat out before heading to the showers. They are the tall ones in between my 2 Bayfields.

[​IMG]

Couple of years ago I gave away a pair of Herman Survivors that I purchased in the mid 70's, I was tired of looking at them to be honest. I treated them for years using mink oil heating them in the oven which now they say will destroy leather. I guess the boots never found out about that as they still looked new when I gave them away. I didn't wear them near as much as my Vasque Sundowners which were my main boots for many years. Until Red Wing moved production to China about 10 years ago and ruined them, my last pair was made in China and the soles delaminated in just a few months. Which sent me on a quest to find better boots and I have.

As to shell durability you don't have to look any further than Wolverine boot company in Mi. They were the largest producer of shell in the US for many, many years. By the late 30's they had sold more than 2 million pairs of shell boots IIRC. A bit more expensive than cowhide but they lasted longer for harsh work like farming and industrial work. Now AE makes shell boots for Wolverine when they do decide to make a run.

5. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    My aching feet would sure like a 7-last on may of the styles currently in 5-Last or others. LOL

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    If you're maintaining around 20 pair (or upwards or $10,000), perhaps you can consider investing in a quality "show case" to keep them exhibited well . . . such as:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Question about Allen Edmonds Italy line. Who makes these shoes? Also, how's the fit on the Verona? And how versatile would one consider it for casual wear?

EDIT: One more question regarding the Verona. Black or brown?

8. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

+1, MWS' posts are always informative and easy to read :slayer:

9. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Seriously, those are good, enjoy wearing them.

10. shartmann

shartmann Senior Member

Thanks Cold Iron. I have the Clifton in black calf, size 12D, and it's just slightly on the snug side. Working with Allison from AE, I tried on several pairs of adjacent sizes but ultimately stuck with 12D. This was a good choice, as the shell pair fits a bit larger than the calf pair and therefore is just about perfect for me. The entire MTO process was a lot of fun. Allison was great and very helpful. I'm sure this MTO offer has taken up a lot of their time, but I know for me it has been very much worth it. I will send her some photos of the scuff mark and see what she says. And I'll try to apply some polish as you suggest to see if this blemish can be covered up. But overall I'm very pleased with how these turned out. The RenoMat was essential in taken off the darker colored cream, and I would never had the stomach to try it if I had not seen your results. So thanks for that. The process for me went like this:

1. Apply some RenoMat. Shoes are now really dull, and don't look very good at all.
    2. Apply Renovateur and brush. No real improvement. Start to panic just a bit. Did I ruin my new shoes before wearing them?
    3. Repeat #2. See a small amount of improvement. Wonder if I should have just left them alone.
    4. Repeat again. Starting to look pretty good. Brush and buff for a while and then they looked like what's in the pictures.

Thanks MoneyWellSpent. The wheeling was a recommendation by SF member MacktasticGDogg. He had just received his MTO walnut shell Kenilworths when I was about to place my order. I PM'd him to ask a few details, and he mentioned that was something he wished he would have added. I agree it looks pretty nice and I specified the same on my (yet to receive) cappuccino Strands.

11. shartmann

shartmann Senior Member

Yes, the last few days have been like a Master's class. Thanks for sharing MWS.

12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior Member

This is excellent David. My shoe care products from AE just arrived so it's perfect timing for caring for my newly acquired Strands

13. shartmann

shartmann Senior Member

Wow, I would not have guessed your Leeds were 10 years old. They look excellent!

14. bl@ster

[email protected] Distinguished Member

Woah, new McTavish leather option available. Dark Brown Crackle leather -- I like the rough collection stuff but this may be a bit too "rough" for me.

[​IMG]

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Distinguished Member

After some research, evidently their Fifth Ave. is on the 8 last, their Park Ave. is on the 7 last.

I have both, love them. Sizing is pretty TTS, note that the new Verona 2 feels a half size bigger in comparable sizes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.