Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

As for the tensile strength chart, that actually isn't surprising. Even in the Horween video that you can find on Vimeo about shell production, they mention it's tendency to crack when being stretched over the last if the operator running the machinery isn't very careful. However, tensile strength isn't a crucial factor in shoes after they are made. Shoes don't generally wear out and crack because of stretching. They wear out and crack because of dry rot, creasing constantly, abrasion, pollutants that break down the leather structure, etc. Tensile strength aside, shell is more resistant to all of these other types of wear and tear.

I'm not old enough to give you a picture of a pair of shell shoes that I can personally guarantee have been worn once a week for 30 years. As jaywhyy says below, Macarthur has shoes that are that old, and he is certainly one of the oldest (if not the oldest) member of SF that I know of, but the size of his rotation is unrealistic for gauging wear.

This article (http://howtospendit.ft.com/mens-fashion/6955-plenty-of-horsepower) does mention that there are supposedly more World War I boots that have survived than boots from World War II, the reason being that horsehide was the preferred material during World War I. The author does point out that the source for that statistic is unknown, but it is apparently a recognized fact for what it's worth.

Allen Edmonds has said that they receive models in for recrafting that are 30 years old. However, you can't really say how often the shoes are worn.

I have no reason to doubt that the leather itself can last that long. I think there is enough reputable information available online to give credibility to that, but as I said in my previous post, just because the leather can last that long doesn't mean that the shoe will.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Friends,

I have a dilemma. I want a pair of single monks, the Norwich, and I can't decide between the black and brown. I had the black, but have to exchange the size. I tried on a pair in brown to get the size and I fell in love with how they looked with my jeans.

For reference, I have a pair of double monks in dark brown and a pair of Park Aves, McTavish and McAllisters in black. I have a pair of more casual brown wingtips and lighter brown blucher captoes with a medallion.

I would usually just pick instead of asking, but I really can't decide so I need to hear some thoughts.

Do you guys think I should go for the brown or black? Black looks sleek with dress slacks and suits, but I don't think it could work with jeans in the day time. The brown seems like it's versatile enough to fit with all outfits. Opinions on what would be more useful?

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Great research, evidence, and photos.

Also noted your post on the new SHAKER HEIGHTS boot:

[​IMG]

4. David Copeland

Welcome to to the forum.

Yes, a black pair should be an essential item for any collection of high quality shoes.

All my best,

David

5. David Copeland

Wow . . . that is clever. Can't beat a receipt!

6. David Copeland

Here is an excellent video, of which the first part is titled PRE-MAINTENANCE (which can ne used with Saphir Products):

Enjoy,

David

7. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks for all the insights on shoe construction.

If this stuff about the resoling and the stress on the uppers is true, then there is case to be made for going with topys. Or, you could replace your leather soles after they're worn with a vibram or dainite sole, which are more durable.

The thing about the cork is also surprising in that it's not for comfort.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Has anyone ever inquired about requesting a different last for Custom shoe orders?

For ex. Strand or Park Ave. on an 8 last?

9. Scbrown

Scbrown Senior member

Proof of what AE did to me at one point, all are not pictured.
    Have since scaled down and incorporated some different brands but kept my favorite AE's
    Shell MacNeil, Mora, Dalton, Hillcrest and white Players Suede

[​IMG]

Best to not get bitten by the bug

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes I have. Deborah said at one time they experimented with it however it did not work out well at all so they stopped doing it, it is no longer an option.

11. Persedye

Persedye Active Member

I believe the Jos A Bank branded AEs are made on different lasts. You might want to do a search.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Fantastic Scbrown, looks great

Out of curiosity, did you start a cordovan collection as well?

13. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

I received my Long Branch and McGraw seconds. The flaws are, to my eye, quite minor (essentially some scuffs) and I'm keeping them. The LBs are rather stiff, one more than the other, but the leather seems fine and I plan to condition them immediately. The McGraws feel like slippers. I'm quite pleased for $250.

Pics forthcoming eventually.

14. Scbrown

Scbrown Senior member

I didn't quite start a Cordovan collection, I have limited myself to having 20 pairs of shoes (casual and sports included) +1 blacktie. So, to keep flexabiltiy Cordovan has been limited to the Shell MacNeils, and Alden Wingtip Boot and Alden Unlined LHS all in #8 Shell although I do wish I had some ravello or cappuccino shell.

15. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

My patriots have a bit of heel slip. Will they break in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.