1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

gorgeous shoes!

on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have. I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Why not just re-learn how to tie your shoes "correctly?"

I know that's easy for me to say, since I've always tied mine "correctly" (I think it may have something to do with being left handed). The way a lefty naturally ties a shoe tends to result in the "correct" method, while the natural way for a right handed person (unless they were taught the correct way as a child), is to do it the opposite way which leads to the problem you have.

It may be awkward for a few weeks, but you'd form a new habit sooner than you think.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Just cross the laces the opposite way you do now for the first knot...

4. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

I find the 0 last to be one of the most comfortable AE lasts. I wear an 8D on the 0 last, which is my "normal" shoe size, but on the 5 and 7 I prefer an 8.5B and on the 8 last an 8.5D. The 0 last doesn't have the uncomfortableness on the instep and ball of the foot that some of the other last have when they are at the shorter length of an 8.

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Thank you for sharing this. Interesting, I know that most people, me including, go 1/2 size down and 1/2 size up on 5 last compare to their Brannock size. I am surprised and puzzled you found a good fit going 1/2 size up and 1/2 width down.
    I also found that the 7 last fits me way different from the 5 last.

6. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

7. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I should have actually said "I use it when I have 5 extra minutes to do so before work". I'm nowhere close to good at it.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

It only took me 5 seconds, but I must admit I did play piano at school [​IMG]

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Chocolate Larchmonts today:

[​IMG]

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It's actually not a matter of left- vs. right-handedness. The problem comes from tying the inital overhand knot the same way as the eventual loop knots, leaving an unbalanced knot. So LR/LR (left-over-right/left-over-right) has the same problem as RL/RL. The key is to do either LR/RL or RL/LR...

This is the key! Sadly, the TED Talk I first learned this from taught the harder way: to do your first knot normally and then tie your bow backwards. It's much easier to just do your first knot backwards and then tie your bow as normal.

I actually find that with double-knotting, I like to go the same way each time (LR/LR/LR or RL/RL/RL). But I only do this with casual shoes/laces when they're too long or won't stay with a single knot. I wouldn't do this with dressy shoes.

12. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

13. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

My favorite AE shoe. I got mine re-crafted last year.

14. MoneyWellSpent

I'm actually not too sure I followed you very well. However, it was just a theory based on anecdotal evidence. I've not yet met a left handed person that has the problem. Not any scientific or truly logical reason. I'm sure someone who is left handed will chime in shortly to say that they have the problem now that I've said that. [​IMG]

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you are saying now. Indeed, it does require not tying both knots LR/LR or RL/RL. That said, I've still not met a lefty with the problem! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

My wife is right handed and her bows end up vertical.

16. MoneyWellSpent

Yes, not all right handed people have a problem. I just haven't ever met a left handed person who does.

17. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

Well I am left handed, so apparently it doesn't help me out all that much.

18. MoneyWellSpent

There you have it! [​IMG]

Hence forth, I will advise people using Kentyman's technique. [​IMG]

19. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

what do you know! even MWS learns something new every day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.