Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I remembered there was a tie-in, but couldn't remember the specifics. Thanks Cold Iron.

2. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Not sure if this is any consolation, your first pair of shell shoes are rarely ever your last.

3. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Gentlemen, I need some sizing assistance. I wear 7.5E in Strand & McAllister and was wondering how well a 7.5D in the Byron would fit?

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Alden does a great job with shell, and definitely puts a different finish on it than other makers. However, I wouldn't make your buying decision completely based on the level of shine out of the box. Shell can shine well, but most importantly it shines differently. One of the best things about shell cordovan is its ease of care after the first few wears. Yes, in the beginning you will need to do a bit of brushing, combined with a damp paper towel or rag (or begin cold iron's regimen). But, after that all it takes is a quick wipe down and brush and they look great.

I have the 3 you are considering, in fact I have the Leeds in both black and burgundy shell. If you dislike the pointy toe on the 7 last then look to the Cambridge instead of the MacNeil. I'd focus instead on fit and comfort. The reality is that any cordovan shoe will require about the same care after the first few wearings - it's only the are in the beginning that's materially different (Alden vs everyone else).

5. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I would go with the Patriots. I have the Burgundy calf with tap sole (I actually have a couple shiny pennys in these) and the Brown Shell Cordovan. Both are great shoes. The can be just a casual loafer, or can be dressed up with a fun summer suit sockless and look really good. IMO, this is your best bet.

6. GOP Shoe Guy

I concur. About a month or so back I got a pair of Burgundy Shell Cordovan Dalton seconds from the shoebank. There was a minor scratch, nothing visible. I love these boots. Way better than my calf Daltons. Oh, if only all my shoes were Shell.

Warning! Shell is very addictive and dangerous... It is like heroin... Once you have a taste, you can't stop.

7. GOP Shoe Guy

What has been everyones experience with the MTO offer Mr. Grangaard made us? I placed an order on 4/26, 9 1/2 weeks ago, for a pair of Walnut Shell Macneils. I still haven't got them yet. I emailed Allison this morning to have her check the status of my order. Just curios what you gentleman had experienced with the MTO process. This is my first MTO, so I have no comparison.

8. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I own only three shell cordovan shoes: burgundy Daltons, black Leeds, and burgundy MacNeils. I'm wearing the Daltons right now. If one of the six 14AA-sized people in the world broke into my house and stole all my shoes, the first ones I'd replace would be the Leeds (in burgundy). Nothing shows off shell like a PTB, and they don't draw attention except to those in the know... I kind of like that about them.

I confirmed the order on April 26 for my MacNeils and sent an email June 21 (exactly eight weeks) to see what was up -- Allison called me a few hours later to take my credit card information, and according to FedEx they shipped June 26 to hit my doorstep June 28. Well worth the wait. I anticipate you'll be getting a phone call within the next three or four hours. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

What last is the Byron? I also wear 7.5E in Strand & McAllister (5 last) so if the Byron is on the same last as some of my other shoes I can perhaps guide you.

10. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The Byron is on the 4 last. I like mine very much, but can't help with sizing advice.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

My order was relatively quick. It depends on whether or not the leather is available, and I keep hearing that shell cordovan is in short supply.

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Someone's posting of their walnut cordovan Daltons inspired me to get a pair of walnut cordovan boots.

Thinking it was impossible to get the Daltons, I decided to get one of the last remaining pair of Riders I could find.

[​IMG]

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Looks like a decent compromise!

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you.

I think the walnut cordovan just looks amazing.

15. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I've decided that my chukkas will be the RL Saunders, however they are $259 right now and they were $159 during the tent sale. So my wait for the next shoebank sale begins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.