• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is size 7 is pretty much the smallest size I can go. There's little to no space between my heel and the heel of the shoe when I push my foot all the way in. I'm going to try 7E next, if that doesn't work out, EE, or would you recommend me going straight for the EE?

Keep an open mind on going down a half size in length when you go up in width. May not work for you, but that is the normal formula for many, so do not automatically dismiss it. Try on a 7E and and a 6.5E and see how they fit.
+1 to this. I've found that going down a size and up a width has a noticeable impact on width, but it doesn't impact the length much. I'd go into a store and try on the 6.5E and the 7E.

CornToast

Reaction score
Keep an open mind on going down a half size in length when you go up in width. May not work for you, but that is the normal formula for many, so do not automatically dismiss it. Try on a 7E and and a 6.5E and see how they fit.
Can someone enlighten me why going down to 6.5E would be better than 7E? I still haven't sent them back yet and I'm tempted to change the exchange order seeing how many people are saying 6.5E. I'm just afraid 6.5 wouldn't fit me in length as 7 is already a tight fit.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me why going down to 6.5E would be better than 7E? I still haven't sent them back yet and I'm tempted to change the exchange order seeing how many people are saying 6.5E. I'm just afraid 6.5 wouldn't fit me in length as 7 is already a tight fit.
Can you order both sizes? You should be able to send one pair back with no shipping charges.

CornToast

Reaction score
Can you order both sizes? You should be able to send one pair back with no shipping charges.
The second return doesn't include free shipping? I'll be exchanging it and I don't think they'd send me two pairs when I'm sending them back one.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I never wondered this until now before I take care of my Strands. What is the general consensus on using a leather conditioner and then using a shoe cream? Is it overkill as shoe cream also conditions leather?

WiredandTired

Reaction score

Think of it as two dimensions you are fitting for. You should identify what is tight. Is it tight across the ball of your foot/top of your foot or the widest part of your foot? That is usually a width problem. Do your toes feel cramped, but the widest part is comfortable? That might be more of a length issue.

The reason people advise moving out a width and down a length is because the last/shoe design runs long. If you find there is a fair amount of empty space beyond your longest toe, you can move down in length. Also is the ball of your foot resting before the widest part of the shoe? That may make the shoe feel tight. Moving down a length may place the ball in the right place, lining up where the widest part of the shoe is with the ball of your foot. You add moving out a width and it may lead you into a more comfortable fit. I would advise giving it a shot.

Finding the right fit will give you more enjoyment. I was sized as a 8 or 8.5d, maybe in between on the bannock. I went with 8.5d on the 5 last. The fit is pretty good, but I believe a better size for me is 8E. It's an even better idea to do this if you plan to buy more shoes on that last. I now have the Mcallister and kenilworth, which also fit okay, but now I wonder if I should've tried more sizes first.

Hope this helps.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because, a lot of the time, people erroneously think that when their shoe is tight, that it means that they need to increase the size/length. A big part of the reason for that mistake is that most people only associate shoe size with the length; when your parents bought you shoes as a kid, if they didn't fit, you went up to the next half size.

In reality, the tightness may be because you need more width. The extra length may eventually solve the problem, but it's more likely than not also going to add unnecessary space to the toe.

Last edited:

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Shartmann - I wish Nordstrom's Rack pricing on AE shoes was better. I usually see them at $220 regardless of condition of the shoes. You can often find firsts on sale for less than that and seconds for less as well. I was tempted to purchase a pair of Farifaxes in Chili yesterday but just can't spend $220 on shoes from them when I can get them so much cheaper direct.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beautiful lineup....that mcneil is a beast.....incognito but striking....I like it a lot.

and I wasnt even aware that the shell park avenue came with a split reverse welt..or whatever its called...looks good though
It normally isn't... got a custom ordered pair off ebay that hadn't been worn.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks bucksfan. I may see if they could make that custom version. I have the MacNeil and really like it, but it doesn't quite fit me as well as those on the 5 last. I like the double-oak sole too. Once broken in they are really comfortable.

Speaking of LWB, I saw this shoe at my local Nordstrom's Rack. I had never heard of this model before, and Googling "Schautal" doesn't result in anything related to shoes. The shoe did not have the name on the footbed, so maybe this was just in a random box (although there were others in different sizes with the same name on the box). Sort of like a suede version of the MacNeil. I was tempted, but wish the Rack's price would better reflect the neglect their shoes experience. Although new, they often look pretty beat up. These were still $200, which is about the same as some of their models when on sale.

They look like Big Surs. Maybe made for Germany?

shartmann

Reaction score
Shartmann - I wish Nordstrom's Rack pricing on AE shoes was better. I usually see them at $220 regardless of condition of the shoes. You can often find firsts on sale for less than that and seconds for less as well. I was tempted to purchase a pair of Farifaxes in Chili yesterday but just can't spend $220 on shoes from them when I can get them so much cheaper direct.

I agree completely. Before I started following this thread and understanding the frequent sales cycles, $200 for these would have seemed like a nice deal. But I recently purchased new 1st quality McAllisters from the AE store for $249, and new 1st Cliftons from Nordstroms last year for $200 (not to mention the crazy deal of getting the RL Sanderson for $125 from the AE outlet, they were seconds but my pair was perfect). Now if these were $99 or maybe $129 I would have probably bought them.

They look like Big Surs. Maybe made for Germany?

The Rack also had the Big Surs, on the left. They were short wings with full rubber soles, and on clearance for $149. The Schautals on the right were long wings with double-oak leather soles. Given the name, maybe they were a made for Germany model. A little better searching shows that member m7ia posted a pic of this shoe here a few weeks ago, also from the Rack. Overall I thought it was a really nice looking shoe, and may go take a second look.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Interesting. The Rack at Mall of America yesterday had a nice pair of Big Surs on clearance for $150.00 and I'd normally consider them but picked up a pair of Snuff Suede Neumok seconds last week for slightly more. Extremely comfortable looking shoes!

rickrone

Reaction score
i purchased the fifth ave and they look great when i'm looking at them, but when i put it on it doesn't look as good. i know allen edmonds are great shoes, but i need more style. i feel like they are to short in the front and round. i am looking for something a little longer and with a slight square toe. i got an amazing deal on my fifth ave, but if i didn't get an amazing deal i would most likely return it. what alternatives are there, i guess i want more Italian styling.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds are not any less "stylish", they are just a different style than you are after. Longer with a square toe would be the Vass U last, several of the G&G offerings, Berluti, Andrew Lock, and Carmina to name some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads