• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you able to search the system and see if any are left in stores? I would love to snag a few up before they're completely gone.
I know that my store sold out of them a long time ago.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, we stopped making them. Just offering the regular full toe now.

Terrible mistake. What made those trees so good wasn't the knob but rather the rounder fuller heel. The heels on the other ones put a bit of a pressure point at the center of the heel. I got a head's up from Michigan Avenue and bought enough to cover all my shoes +2 extra fortunately.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible mistake. What made those trees so good wasn't the knob but rather the rounder fuller heel. The heels on the other ones put a bit of a pressure point at the center of the heel. I got a head's up from Michigan Avenue and bought enough to cover all my shoes +2 extra fortunately.
Not AE but these are decent, knob and fuller heel. Not as much heartwood as Woodlore though but not bad for the $$$.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I actually have these side by side with a different wingtip boot, I understand why I don’t really care for them compared to others. It’s like, the wing doesn’t come as far back and it is more on the side instead of the top of the vamp. The Daltons are nice, but I strongly prefer the “busier” pattern of these Sir Walter boots.

460F0A16-246B-42B5-89A3-0141488B8B34.jpeg B180D94B-A142-449C-9AFE-28660E3347C8.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that I actually have these side by side with a different wingtip boot, I understand why I don’t really care for them compared to others. It’s like, the wing doesn’t come as far back and it is more on the side instead of the top of the vamp. The Daltons are nice, but I strongly prefer the “busier” pattern of these Sir Walter boots.

View attachment 1862829 View attachment 1862830
Alden’s pattern is way better than the Dalton. I sold my lone pair years ago. AE had some hood designs; the strand is better than Alden’s equivalent and many others.

DawgPound

Reaction score

Alden’s pattern is way better than the Dalton. I sold my lone pair years ago. AE had some hood designs; the strand is better than Alden’s equivalent and many others.
Yeah, the pattern difference topic has come up several times. Although I now tend to agree that the pattern of the other is a little nicer, I do still like the Dalton and have stuck with it since it’s been available for roughly half the price of the other, I can get it in a size that I know will fit me and various color options are more easily obtained. I currently have two pair of Daltons, both are shell. One in burgundy and the other in brown.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Daltons... the way I prefer mine. Shell with reverse welt. The latter makes a huge difference IMO. Perhaps so does a smaller size (10C) that was maybe cut with a larger upper?

It's funny, I love this pair but you can hear me from a block away. They sound and feel like they are lined with super thin foil. Any bending of the upper makes for a pretty loud crunch. My only pair of boots that are like this. No amount of Bick 4, brushing, or wear has alleviated the sound.
4C45FDF8-7BBC-4734-80E0-A5E1581F9567.jpeg
4D730F7F-07D2-4FB3-B181-5B63CE71D33C.jpeg

DawgPound

Reaction score
Speaking of Daltons... the way I prefer mine. Shell with reverse welt. The latter makes a huge difference IMO. Perhaps so does a smaller size (10C) that was maybe cut with a larger upper?

It's funny, I love this pair but you can hear me from a block away. They sound and feel like they are lined with super thin foil. Any bending of the upper makes for a pretty loud crunch. My only pair of boots that are like this. No amount of Bick 4, brushing, or wear has alleviated the sound.
View attachment 1863010 View attachment 1863009
I love these! To my eye on the top down picture, the wingtip looks like it comes up higher on the vamp than @MajorDash’s pair. I took a look at mine this morning and the wingtip on both of my pairs also comes up higher. That said, the Alden eyelet part comes further down on Alden boots in general and I think does look better on those boots.

That said, today I get to break out some holiday footwear 😁
4C7BEA6D-9B28-4E14-A658-CCE53E27C834.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Dalton, but close enough for government work. Behold the Golden CXL Longbranch that is no longer terribly golden. My first pair of AEs, bought in the fall of 2014 in what I thought was the correct size and definitely is not. Even with all the extra volume and the CXL wrinkles that come from that extra volume, I still have a soft spot for these. Or, maybe I'm mistaking the really soft gumlite sole for a soft spot.

IMG_6402.jpg

TNshoefan

Reaction score

I agree, the Dalton’s design could be improved. The vamp and wings are imbalanced, which seems like an easy fix that AE could make. However, my Daltons are in a EEE width, which oddly enough makes the vamp look slightly more balanced.

The other complaints I have with the Dalton are the eyelets being spaced too far apart, and the heel being too loose due to the straight heel design as opposed to the curved heel of the Higgins Mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads