• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder, outlets are running 25% off through Christmas Eve!
🎄

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder, outlets are running 25% off through Christmas Eve!
🎄
Are any of the shoes full grain now? Seems to be a sticking point on purchasing more shoes.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
F2's are the same leather as F1's (full grain) only with flaws. The only exception would be the handful of shoes we've made for Nordstrom Rack like the Hendrix or purchased shoes like the sneakers or Sawyer boot.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F2's are the same leather as F1's (full grain) only with flaws. The only exception would be the handful of shoes we've made for Nordstrom Rack like the Hendrix or purchased shoes like the sneakers or Sawyer boot.

Just for my own edification, the Alpha sneakers (plus some others like the Wilder venetian), along with every newer model made for Nordstrom Rack like the one you just mentioned are the only styles AE produces in India or Vietnam. The park / strand sneakers are still made in the DR and the Porters still Portugal?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and don't forget to call the 2 shoebanks to see what Trunk Show rejections show up :)

PSA (in case people weren't aware) - the 19900AMs are now $499 rather than $399. Still a good deal though.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

A while back I mentioned this pair of the Strand in the limited 100th Anniversary "Hickory" finish that I somehow missed earlier in the year, but I nabbed on sale for $159 a few weeks ago. The only issue is that they are a full size down from my normal size, but one width wider. After a StyleForum member was generous enough to send me a shoe-stretching device, I invested in a bottle of liquid meant to aid in stretching, and I got to it.

After a few applications on each shoe, they have gotten to the point where they are *just* in the range of where I can walk around with them on the area rug while wearing the thinnest nylon socks I have, and the fit is acceptable. They don't feel like my normal size pairs of the Strand do, but they seem ok.

Somehow I cannot bring myself to maidening them (maiden voyage) because something in my head tells me not to. Ten minutes into wearing them out in the wild as opposed to taking baby steps on the living room area rug, will I decide I cannot endure wearing them for a full day? Thus, the resale value would be cut in half. Will my correct size pop up on Shoe™Bank®? Not likely that AE will be getting returns on these Strand Hicks at this late juncture, I figure.

For those of you who have stretched new shoes, is this a fool's gold of sorts, where they will eventually shrink back to their original size? First-world problems, I tell ya.

Just look at these bathing beauties:

Your posts are fantastic btw - I always love reading them.

Going to give you my honest thoughts here -

People usually can finagle with the size of the 65-last enough that going up/down in length/width can definitely work, it's more a matter of what is optimal for you. I can wear the 65-last in 6.5E, 7D, 8B....I've tried 6EEE and that could "work" too. The fact that you went up 1 width instead of 2 is concern #1.

I've bought pairs of AE that are sort of tight in terms of volume but that have stretched out. I've never used any kind of stretcher or liquid like you showed. Stretching usually meant wearing thicker/heavier socks than normal and sort of toughing it out for a full day's wear, putting them away, then repeating like 2 more times. Sometimes this was miserable but it usually worked out. Mind you this was in my normal size. I have a pair of Jermyns that I know now, given all my experience with AE, were lasted partially wrong and the toebox on 1 shoe was cut too narrow. I took this pair to the AE store to have them "professionally stretched." This did virtually nothing in the end. They weren't noticably larger nor did they have to "return" to a previous shape. Was just a complete waste of time.

When you say they're barely wearable - in what way? The length is too short that it's hurting your heels? Instep? Other? Why the attachment to the Hickory? To me they look pretty similar to the Strandmok, no?

Lauren_A

Reaction score
Just for my own edification, the Alpha sneakers (plus some others like the Wilder venetian), along with every newer model made for Nordstrom Rack like the one you just mentioned are the only styles AE produces in India or Vietnam. The park / strand sneakers are still made in the DR and the Porters still Portugal?
Porter City's are made in India, the older Porter Derby was Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads