• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, shoes like the McTavish and Neumok were considered casual styles for AE.
They’ve since introduced a bunch of sneakers, and even put sneaker soles on dress shoes. I think that those things are selling in today’s world of casual dress.

I haven't actually seen dress sneakers in the wild. But the advantage is they're not miusa so higher profit margins.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was perusing the AE site today and was struck by how many of the shoes and boots shown on this thread are (i) no longer made by AE, and (ii) much better looking than was IS still made by AE. It is like they drop models just for the sake of change and are replacing them with some ugly looking ideas.

Is the design team a bunch of 11th graders?
Right now they have still:
The park ave
The fifth ave
The strand
The Cambridge
The leeds
The dalton
The Hamilton

I like the special models and runs ae does, but there's nothing being produced as a focus of their marketing that is of interest to me at all.
Cambridge is D/C'd.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've stopped looking at the website regularly.
I haven't actually seen dress sneakers in the wild. But the advantage is they're not miusa so higher profit margins.
Neither have I, not in person. Lots of trash sneakers out there of course, always has been, but the Dress Sneakers are only seen (by me) on the talking head jocks doing the football pregame shows.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cambridge is D/C'd.
Neither have I, not in person. Lots of trash sneakers out there of course, always has been, but the Dress Sneakers are only seen (by me) on the talking head jocks doing the football pregame shows.

Yes. Interestingly, usually by the younger white guys. The black announcers usually wear either actual sneakers or very nice dress shoes. The older white guys, like Bradshaw, usually wear dress shoes.

I don't watch football regularly, but that's what I've noticed. Also true with MLB. Dress sneakers seems to appeal exclusively to a sub-40 white demographic, which I suppose is advertisement wise good.

The cambridge being dced proves my point even more. Yikes.

Goat30i

Reaction score
It’s even worse on my foot. I think I have a different left foot shape compared to right which actually makes the boot defect worse
Out of the several (3-5??) shipped misaligned, they have never been phase synched by my foot--that would have been convenient, but they always looked worse when worn. Have kept a couple as I was tired of re-shippping (get a good alignment pair, but loose grain or unmatched colors with good grain but bad welt or heel, or excellent appearance but doesn't fit, etc). . . the reshipping of "First Quality" can be draining.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE has moved away from dress shoes and dress boots to casual fare.

They've dropped:

The dundee
The Mac neil
The kenilworth
The weybridge
The cornwallis
The jefferson
The sullivan
The first ave

Right now they have still:

The park ave
The fifth ave
The strand
The Cambridge
The leeds
The dalton
The Hamilton

The fifth ave is definitely languishing right now. The cambridge is also only shell?

Also don't they have limited miusa loafers? Isn't only the Randolph miusa?

I like the special models and runs ae does, but there's nothing being produced as a focus of their marketing that is of interest to me at all.
Cambridge is discontinued. No more being made.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HMs in the Minnesota snow
20220116_145452.jpg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If ae is going to keep discontinuing dress shoes, then I guess I'm gonna have to switch brands. :/
I know. Back in October, I inquired with Nichole at State Street
and she confirmed. Couldn’t even have a pair made. But—she found a pair (somewhere) of Brown Shell in 10eee and was able to secure them for me.

Also—you’re a Mass. guy, right? We gotta get you over to State Street.

C23BB316-9377-4CB5-91C5-C08B18498663.jpeg
3FD06777-5E08-4D52-B9DB-A80AC1402F72.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If ae is going to keep discontinuing dress shoes, then I guess I'm gonna have to switch brands. :/
Ohhh, it can get worse. I have a few people that I know that want to get into better made “dress shoes”. When I show them the AE website. They either drool over the Strand/PA sneakers or think that the new McTavish is a fantastic dress pair. Gunboats, split-toes, and monks do not get any love from the newbies. I can see AE just having PA, Strand, and McAllister as the only Oxford dress down the road. Even the new Marlin monk, seems dressed down. The Plymouth seems to be down to black only.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know. Back in October, I inquired with Nichole at State Street
and she confirmed. Couldn’t even have a pair made. But—she found a pair (somewhere) of Brown Shell in 10eee and was able to secure them for me.

Also—you’re a Mass. guy, right? We gotta get you over to State Street.

View attachment 1738242 View attachment 1738243

Not Mass, NY and Illinois. But spectacular shoes there.

What a great model.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, it can get worse. I have a few people that I know that want to get into better made “dress shoes”. When I show them the AE website. They either drool over the Strand/PA sneakers or think that the new McTavish is a fantastic dress pair. Gunboats, split-toes, and monks do not get any love from the newbies. I can see AE just having PA, Strand, and McAllister as the only Oxford dress down the road. Even the new Marlin monk, seems dressed down. The Plymouth seems to be down to black only.

I'm surprised monks aren't popular, as they definitely were trendy a few years ago.

That reminds me: no more Bradley, either...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is what is being shown on how to wear your poorly fitting suit and dress sneakers. Hey, dress sneakers are not just for white guys anymore.
7435DBC9-F5EE-4CD8-BD20-9BD9D1B6173F.jpeg
917057CC-E8CD-4996-A4DC-2CDDCA1DBA45.jpeg
9208DFDF-C6E4-4503-BD88-3399D607761C.jpeg
72514B1F-6077-48F2-AD48-B4DE249300BE.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cambridge is D/C'd.

Sadly, this is true for me too. I almost exclusively go to Ebay or similar sites looking for AE shoes these days.
HMs in the Minnesota snow View attachment 1738203

Those are amazing because they almost look the same as my chili Higgins (the new weatherproof ones). My brown cxl pair is a lot lighter than yours and doesn't have much red in it. In fact, it looks very similar to the current natural that AE is offering.

Added a picture to show what I mean.

IMG_4734.JPG

Last edited:

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, this is true for me too. I almost exclusively go to Ebay or similar sites looking for AE shoes these days.

Those are amazing because they almost look the same as my chili Higgins (the new weatherproof ones). My brown cxl pair is a lot lighter than yours and doesn't have much red in it. In fact, it looks very similar to the current natural that AE is offering.

Added a picture to show what I mean.

View attachment 1738293
Had these in the rotation for quite a while. In addition to longwings, I'm a fan of the HMs ?

When you said Chili, reminded me of the shell ones... some throwback HM shell pics... because can never have too many HM pics on here! ?
IMG_20201117_204505_874.jpg
IMG_20200911_074414_249.jpg
IMG_20200911_074414_253.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics