• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
I see it this way, I have been paying 50% less than other makers on average. I would not expect AE to change the manufacturing process for my footwear. If it really bothered me, I would wait the 9 months and get something else.
I disagree. I've been paying full retail for the trunk show boots and do expect them to put more care & effort into the construction.

I will be waiting and getting something else.

Last edited:

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was inspired by my UIUC Gregory Hall brother @JFWR posting a picture of his new Sullivan Streets at 2:00 in the morning. Having spent a lot of time on that campus at 2:00 in the morning, I figured I should continue to show the love to this boot. But, I'm not doing that fancy lacing pattern he does. I'm a simple man, with simple tastes, and simple lacing, standing on a simple blacktop driveway that simply needs a resealing this month watching my simple dog roam the backyard enjoying the simple pleasures of life in the suburbs.

IMG_4780.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was inspired by my UIUC Gregory Hall brother @JFWR posting a picture of his new Sullivan Streets at 2:00 in the morning. Having spent a lot of time on that campus at 2:00 in the morning, I figured I should continue to show the love to this boot. But, I'm not doing that fancy lacing pattern he does. I'm a simple man, with simple tastes, and simple lacing, standing on a simple blacktop driveway that simply needs a resealing this month watching my simple dog roam the backyard enjoying the simple pleasures of life in the suburbs.

View attachment 1594439

Love it! 2 o'clock in the morning is indeed the best time to wear Sullivan boots, but your boots look splendid today in the morning sun!

Jon44

Reaction score
Re: Odor coming from my new Higgins Boots (cxl leather)
Hope this is the right place for this--I just bought some Higgins CXL boots. I love everything about them, except....they smell like a shoe store X10. And after 10 days sitting in my office, the smell has only gone down a little. I've had the experience before of just assuming something with similar chemical odors made in China will eventually become odor-free and then it never does.
Will this smell dissipate over time? (Perhaps once summer comes and boots are exposed to fresh air from open windows?)

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I disagree. I've been paying full retail for the trunk show boots and do expect them to put more care & effort into the construction.

I will be waiting and getting something else.
I understand your frustration. However, you do realize how much you’re going to end up paying for stuff that’s absolutely perfect more often, right?
It ain’t Alden.
It ain’t Carmina.
I’ve seen the C&J complaints before too.
It ain’t Cleverly.
So I’m guessing you’re going Edward Green, GG, or full bespoke?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand your frustration. However, you do realize how much you’re going to end up paying for stuff that’s absolutely perfect more often, right?
It ain’t Alden.
It ain’t Carmina.
It ain’t Cleverly.
EG/GG have their own flaws as well...and, well, bespoke...that just means it's a one off...doesn't mean it's built right either! Nothing in this world is perfect, but you certainly have to make the personal decision of value (quality/consistency vs price). That's extremely different for everyone. @Shoeriner certainly is more willing to accept flaws for a more competitive price. I tend to agree with him.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5180.jpg
These things are very comfortable. The white sole is growing on me. I need to count but I think I have 35-40 AE's now so I've been looking more at the casual line up as I've been wearing more chinos and jeans recently. Not even sure if I fit in any of my dress pants anymore I know I don't in some of my tailored shirts (Covid and Divorce 20lbs I guess) ?

Coffandcig

Reaction score
It ain’t Alden.
It ain’t Carmina.
It ain’t Cleverly.
That's a weak argument. I have 1 boot that is being remade because of a stitching defect and another that has no balance at all. I can't wear the same socks with the 2 1st Aves I have because they fit differently; let's see if the remake changes that. I only got the Landon because I was able to try them on in the store. If you're unable to notice the balance difference in these 2 trunk show offerings then I envy your ability to lie to yourself. Shame on me for expecting consistency. I will be checking out any other maker and won't be participating in further trunk shows.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_140122492.jpg
    IMG_20210412_140122492.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210412_140215992.jpg
    IMG_20210412_140215992.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210416_081906876.jpg
    IMG_20210416_081906876.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210416_081959668.jpg
    IMG_20210416_081959668.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 26

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EG/GG have their own flaws as well...and, well, bespoke...that just means it's a one off...doesn't mean it's built right either! Nothing in this world is perfect, but you certainly have to make the personal decision of value (quality/consistency vs price). That's extremely different for everyone. @Shoeriner certainly is more willing to accept flaws for a more competitive price. I tend to agree with him.
Here are my last two Shell purchases. Combined price of $1072 and change. The Shell second is near flawless.
F1C36C83-3332-4C1C-B08E-4BCCCC5FD3F9.jpeg
0AF6D515-42D7-4D7B-B8EC-5636324F280D.jpeg

Only a finish issue on the edge of the Land Shark. But uppers are awesome. At this price, I am all in.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a weak argument. I have 1 boot that is being remade because of a stitching defect and another that has no balance at all. I can't wear the same socks with the 2 1st Aves I have because they fit differently; let's see if the remake changes that. I only got the Landon because I was able to try them on in the store. If you're unable to notice the balance difference in these 2 trunk show offerings then I envy your ability to lie to yourself. Shame on me for expecting consistency. I will be checking out any other maker and won't be participating in further trunk shows.
I hope your remakes are to your liking. I just wish my maker did a better job. Unfortunately there are no remakes from God.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a weak argument. If you want better quality pay for better quality? I do agree that the balance is annoying and does happen from time to time with pairs but I've had this from C&J too so it is not only AE. I've never personally had an experience that AE didn't make right, even in some cases when I was being a bit picky. I'm not sure what the issue is with the 1st aves, but is there a chance that the shoes do fit the same but your feet aren't... exactly the same? Probably need to head over to EG/GG/Lobb for closer to but still not perfect results.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tired of paying too much money for subpart results.

For $725 they should be licking and sticking for me. No sanding, no pictures to production. Make it better the first time.
100%. The wheels are coming off in Port Washington. I’m giving my money to Alden from now on. I’m glad I have some “old (I know that is a relative term) logo” pairs and will continue to care for them, but it’s Johnston and Murphy territory in the offing for AE.

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add gas to the fire:

TS 2020.2

1) Ordered green Higgins. Sent with wrong welt. I kept them.

2) Lining wasn’t stitched at ankle; sent back to AE. They opted to remake rather than repair (I wasn’t given a choice).

3) Below are the “replacements”—with a giant stripe across the front. My SA reached out to production and they said “that’s within limits.” SA was kind enough to refund my money.

If they were a few hundred bucks, I’d chalk them up to being my “wacky pair.” But for $725 pre-tax, it’s a no-go for me.

All the nay-sayers will piss and moan and call me fussy, but this is the same trajectory as other American brands before complete unraveling. (Not to mention the glut of non-domestic production. Yeah yeah yeah I know how businesses work.)

And, frankly, I’m sad. I LOVE the brand. It was such an aspirational shoe for me as a young man, but the price point can’t be justified anymore—unless there is some giant sale and we’re under $250.

71775E74-2481-45CE-ADB4-CF2617ADC602.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads