• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ALLEN EDMONDS APPRECIATION THREAD 2021: News, pictures, clothing, accessories, etc.

NYCTechNerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I don't want bash AE, because part of me is afraid they might just decide to cancel the trunk shows. I'm grateful that they offer them, but I understand the frustrations of many on here. Just gotta accept the good with the bad with AE.
I always enjoy your posts and have found you to give very measured responses when discussing topics of conflict. I do not think this is how you meant it, but some of us do not want to accept the good with the bad and may not accept and/or understand why it must be that way since it has not always been that way.

My first TS was early 2020. I was extremely disappointed because I paid $408.75 for a pair of snuff suede Leeds on Dainite. They arrived and were poorly lasted (see pics below) which may have not bothered some but in my case it meant the area near both my ankles was too high on each shoe and dug into my ankles which no amount of break-in would fix. The store refused a return as did AE customer service because it was "within tolerances". It took weeks of haggling and finally an attorney friend of mine shared with me consumer protection laws which I regurgitated verbatim to AE customer service. They offered a store credit and I said full refund or I am going to small claims court. They finally relented, I sent the shoes back, and after several calls over 3 months they sent me a check. I'll admit that some of the delay in the refund check was due to the pandemic but I still should not have had to keep calling back to get a status. The entire experience really soured me on AE.

IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add gas to the fire:

TS 2020.2

1) Ordered green Higgins. Sent with wrong welt. I kept them.

2) Lining wasn’t stitched at ankle; sent back to AE. They opted to remake rather than repair (I wasn’t given a choice).

3) Below are the “replacements”—with a giant stripe across the front. My SA reached out to production and they said “that’s within limits.” SA was kind enough to refund my money.

If they were a few hundred bucks, I’d chalk them up to being my “wacky pair.” But for $725 pre-tax, it’s a no-go for me.

All the nay-sayers will piss and moan and call me fussy, but this is the same trajectory as other American brands before complete unraveling. (Not to mention the glut of non-domestic production. Yeah yeah yeah I know how businesses work.)

And, frankly, I’m sad. I LOVE the brand. It was such an aspirational shoe for me as a young man, but the price point can’t be justified anymore—unless there is some giant sale and we’re under $250.

View attachment 1594612
The green shell. Man that is a tough one. I understand you wanting it to be a second, and maybe for AE it should be, but I've seen Alden's with blotchy shell with people complain and basically get told to pound sand. It's the shell, so either they just decline the shell from horween or toss it into the scrap pile. Certainly not preferred but I have shell with all kinds of different marks from AE, Alden, EB, Carmina (that I no longer have because I cannot make any lasts I've tried work), and C&J. At least with some of these makers you could get another pair but Alden you either keep it or send it back and someone else happily takes it.

It's odd that so many people are conditioned to expect these mistakes here. I feel duped and think it's reasonable for a green pair of 9E 1st Aves to fit the same as a navy pair of 9E 1st Aves. Why should one pair require boot socks and another normal sport socks? This isn't a left to right issue; it's pair 1 in 9E vs pair 2 in 9E. I didn't say anything because I decided to make do and move forward but the inconsistency happened again with the Landons.

The green Landons are >>perfect<< and I'm wearing them many times per week, including right now. None of these boots are a daily necessity as I've plenty of footwear. I want to support MiUSA goods-that is an important point for me; I want to pay Americans for quality craftsmanship. The trunk shows are a way to slow down and make a C&J, Alden, Carmina et al product. I don't see why I need to spend a few hundred more in order to get 2 pairs of boots in the same size & model to fit similarly.

These aren't stock models. These were purchased at full retail during special, MTO events. Is it really that big of an expectation that the maker who advertises a special event would put special attention to those goods?

I like the weight, specifically the lack thereof, on AE boots; they're comfortable when they fit. These are great boots for an urban walker like myself. I want to keep buying AE though I do find it very, very odd that the 'enthusiasts' are pretty unanimous in expecting lower quality.
Ok, so in the event that you have shoes fitting you differently, I'd just tell em exactly that, return and move on because for all you know the ones that feel right to you were actually made wrong (idk they aren't on my feet). I'm not conditioned for things to be bad, I'm just not expecting perfect because it is an unrealistic standard. If the problem is egregious enough, I have them remade and typically my final result is a good one. I have a lot of pair shoes and sold about half as many, but I think for the most part AE is good bang for buck with a generally very accommodating sales staff. My spreadsheet says of the 65 pairs (yikes I thought I'd trimmed this back to 50....) 24 are AE and I'm pretty happy with the results I've had. I do not encourage people to keep what they are not happy with, just suggest that if you aren't happy with the product and even after getting them remade you are still displeased it might be time to seek a different brand that will meet your expectations better. I mean this sincerely, not as a snide remark or knock against you.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
The green shell. Man that is a tough one. I understand you wanting it to be a second, and maybe for AE it should be, but I've seen Alden's with blotchy shell with people complain and basically get told to pound sand. It's the shell, so either they just decline the shell from horween or toss it into the scrap pile. Certainly not preferred but I have shell with all kinds of different marks from AE, Alden, EB, Carmina (that I no longer have because I cannot make any lasts I've tried work), and C&J. At least with some of these makers you could get another pair but Alden you either keep it or send it back and someone else happily takes it.

Ok, so in the event that you have shoes fitting you differently, I'd just tell em exactly that, return and move on because for all you know the ones that feel right to you were actually made wrong (idk they aren't on my feet). I'm not conditioned for things to be bad, I'm just not expecting perfect because it is an unrealistic standard. If the problem is egregious enough, I have them remade and typically my final result is a good one. I have a lot of pair shoes and sold about half as many, but I think for the most part AE is good bang for buck with a generally very accommodating sales staff. My spreadsheet says of the 65 pairs (yikes I thought I'd trimmed this back to 50....) 24 are AE and I'm pretty happy with the results I've had. I do not encourage people to keep what they are not happy with, just suggest that if you aren't happy with the product and even after getting them remade you are still displeased it might be time to seek a different brand that will meet your expectations better. I mean this sincerely, not as a snide remark or knock against you.
They haven't been remade yet; they're still in the factory but they're getting remade because the toe cap stitching busted not the sizing issues. As I said, I made do with the sizing errors but they are objectively differently sized. I have a VM regarding the balance issues but I will be checking out other brands. That sucks in my opinion.

Attachments

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
I don't want bash AE, because part of me is afraid they might just decide to cancel the trunk shows. I'm grateful that they offer them, but I understand the frustrations of many on here. Just gotta accept the good with the bad with AE.
When you provide a product or service, the customer must be completely satisfied. My day job and side job share this philosophy. It is NOT a special privilege to purchase shoes from an Allen Edmonds trunk show.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant with accepting "the good with the bad" is that AE will sometimes mess up orders and patience will be required to either have a new one made or find another solution. I've had AE mess up some of mine before, but they found a solution that worked out great for both of us. Please don't take this comment as me saying anyone on here is in the wrong for expressing dissatisfaction with a pair. Not everyone's situation with trunk show shoes has been like mine. I just mean, speaking for myself that AE has always found a solution.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.