• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAno

Reaction score
I just received these black park aves w/ dainite, purchased during the sale.
Gave it a quick shine and broke them in walking around the house.
Can you believe these are my first black Park Aves?
A man needs a black PA and walnut Strands, someone said…

Attachments

• BE45668C-572D-4CC0-A044-3B643D6B3922.jpeg
    BE45668C-572D-4CC0-A044-3B643D6B3922.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 3E8EA4B4-A5E3-43D2-8C7D-0865120CD8EF.jpeg
    3E8EA4B4-A5E3-43D2-8C7D-0865120CD8EF.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 38

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essential for a man's wardrobe! Love the bar lacing and the V-gap ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. No one needs walnut strands. Walnut is not that good of a colour. Brown strands, oxblood strands, black strands, strange colour strands: yes. But walnut strands: no.

You do, however, need a pair of black Park Avenues, which these are delightful examples of.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
No. No one needs walnut strands. Walnut is not that good of a colour. Brown strands, oxblood strands, black strands, strange colour strands: yes. But walnut strands: no.

You do, however, need a pair of black Park Avenues, which these are delightful examples of.

I do not own black Park Avenues. My only black shoes are MacNeils and Patriots.
?

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if the prior owner’s imprint will be an issue for comfort.

I own one pair of preowned shoes (AE) and they are f#cking uncomfortable. I can feel the previous owner's toes and foot impressions (I will never purchase another used pair of shoes). The shoes are in like-new condition.

ducatiti

Reaction score

I had these in my cart during the sale as well. No PA’s here as well. I have carmina black cap toe in shell that I haven’t used yet but almost pulled the trigger on these for rainy days. Looks good!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes the poron is definitely an issue. I have a pair of BB Mac Neils 2.0 that I sent to Bedo’s to remove the poron.

On this pair, the top of my toes are pushing against the top of the shoe, I assume because there is no weight pushing the poron down. It is slightly uncomfortable but I think with wear will be fine. It is also the reason for the orange and blue socks, they are my thinnest pair. I normally wear thick socks because my ankles are quite puny.

Old posts on this forum were quite vocal about the poron and sizing issues. It seems AE wanted to add more cushioning, but neglected to consider the volume of the poron. I would be curious to know if there were complaints that the standard Mac Neil felt stiff. In my experience the double leather sole provided much more cushioning than a standard single leather. These are Dainite which I find somewhat unforgiving compared to leather soles.

From my perusing of old catalogs this appears to be the only brown Mac Neil offered in the last ten years, though I could be wrong. Perhaps next year they will offer a MTO Mac Neil in natural or bourbon or tobacco. We can only fantasize.

There was a lot of discussion about this a few years ago. Some speculated that the poron compresses in the shoe while the lasting process happens and then expands later on. AE confirmed the poron is added before the shoes are lasted, so in theory it was not supposed to affect the fit. My early poron pairs did often feel tighter and my toes were often touching the top of the upper, which never happened in shoes without it. However, my most recent poron pairs (for whatever reason) do not have this same problem. My Leeds 2.0 fits just like a regular Leeds, and my Strandmoks fit very similar to the Strand.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
I own one pair of preowned shoes (AE) and they are f#cking uncomfortable. I can feel the previous owner's toes and foot impressions (I will never purchase another used pair of shoes). The shoes are in like-new condition.

To be fair my friend, you own 39 pairs of AEs and they are all uncomfortable, so what’s the difference? I suppose f#cking uncomfortable is worse than just uncomfortable.

As the cobbler mentioned in an earlier post, likely two issues, the leather insole and the cork. I suspect with new cork the insole should conform to the new owner’s feet. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can correct me.

Below are photos stolen from Reddit on Mac Neils cut in half:

It’s coming up on 5 pm Pacific Time and my feet feel pretty good. I’ve worn the shell Mac Neils almost every workday since September so this has been an adjustment, but I think these are keepers, and likely off to AE for double oak soles.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have learned that wearing preowned shoes is similar to wearing preowned underwear (and I used to buy preowned underwear). It's wonderful when it works, but it doesn't work for me anymore.
Vending machine underwear?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8