• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, @ae_ashley and everyone else, I had a problem with the Trunk Show. I ordered Hamiltons in Chili with double JR soles. To my amazement, a shipment of Hamilton Chilis arrived at my doorstep today. I opened them, and there were the boots, but they had Dainite soles. I called to return them, set up my package, and then I realized that the rep said nothing about my getting a replacement. So I called again to make sure I would get a replacement, and it looks like what was going to happen was that I was going to get a refund. This of course is not good, since there would be no opportunity to buy them again. So I called up again, this time the rep said that she would give me a different return address, and I should mail them back to where they would resole the shoes with JR.

At this point, I am probably going to do that, but it seems a shame that the only way to actually get the order I wanted was to rip apart the shoes and put on a new sole. I suppose it might be OK, but it seems like it would be more appropriate to treat it like a second and pay second-time prices on it, not $725 for a "no-longer new" pair of shoes.

What do you think? I guess this is pretty much one of the reasons I am thinking I should give up the brand.
Things like this just shouldn't happen with a custom order, from a trunk show. Mistakes happen, but on a custom order, they simply shouldn't. Just my 2 cents worth.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, @ae_ashley and everyone else, I had a problem with the Trunk Show. I ordered Hamiltons in Chili with double JR soles. To my amazement, a shipment of Hamilton Chilis arrived at my doorstep today. I opened them, and there were the boots, but they had Dainite soles. I called to return them, set up my package, and then I realized that the rep said nothing about my getting a replacement. So I called again to make sure I would get a replacement, and it looks like what was going to happen was that I was going to get a refund. This of course is not good, since there would be no opportunity to buy them again. So I called up again, this time the rep said that she would give me a different return address, and I should mail them back to where they would resole the shoes with JR.

At this point, I am probably going to do that, but it seems a shame that the only way to actually get the order I wanted was to rip apart the shoes and put on a new sole. I suppose it might be OK, but it seems like it would be more appropriate to treat it like a second and pay second-time prices on it, not $725 for a "no-longer new" pair of shoes.

What do you think? I guess this is pretty much one of the reasons I am thinking I should give up the brand.
Well, that’s your decision to not purchase AE anymore. We really shouldn’t play into that decision for you.

That said, rather than calling CS, did you call Ashley directly at the Charleston store?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that you should talk to Ashley about your options.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry for your frustration.

It is my understanding that a resole would not be appropriate. They would probably re-make them. When AE recrafts, they attach a new welt and do not use the same stitch holes—thus compromising the integrity of the shoe / leaving less room for future re-soles and re-weltings.

I had a similar problem this time around. But, after basically the same offer as yours, I generously decided to keep my boots (as my issue was just an incorrect welt and I didn’t want to roll the dice on potentially wonky shell coloring on another pair). Note: my SA is and was fantastic about the situation and she ordered the shoes correctly. And @ae_ashley is tremendous, too (no one would dispute this.)

In short, I appreciate AE:

1) Having a trunk show
2) Making our SMUs quickly

But—

Quality control is lacking. At the end of the day AE is a business and we are customers. I appreciate all the kum-ba-yah blah blah blah and I LOVE screwing around ALL DAY on this forum with you weasels; however, accountability is paramount re: voluntary transactions.

Last—I get it. We’re in a pandemic. I have beyond first-world problems and I would never tell a living soul outside of this wacky safe space about any of this.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope. That won't do. Please give me a call Wednesday. 843-619-6949.
Have you sent the shoes back? If you haven't, don't please.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha! 10.5 D. Looks like Ashley will take care of it.
This is why I don’t buy online and never call CS. My relationship is with my SA’s. Not AE. The most satisfying purchase comes from an SA who you have a relationship with. They know enough about you that they can steer you in a good makeup vs left to my own devices would have 50 snuff suede shoes. I also marvel at how they can put up with some customers. The last time I was in the store, an SA was serving Mr. 10 pairs. A young customer who tries on no less than 10 pairs, soaks up all the good information that the SA has and before he walks out of the store, he buys a few pairs online. Of course he only keeps one because he is back next week to return the discards at the store. If I ever have an issue with a shoe, my SA’s take care of it. The SA’s are fantastic because I bet there are more Mr. 10 pairs out there than Shoenuts. That’s a fact.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
This is why I don’t buy online and never call CS. My relationship is with my SA’s. Not AE. The most satisfying purchase comes from an SA who you have a relationship with. They know enough about you that they can steer you in a good makeup vs left to my own devices would have 50 snuff suede shoes. I also marvel at how they can put up with some customers. The last time I was in the store, an SA was serving Mr. 10 pairs. A young customer who tries on no less than 10 pairs, soaks up all the good information that the SA has and before he walks out of the store, he buys a few pairs online. Of course he only keeps one because he is back next week to return the discards at the store. If I ever have an issue with a shoe, my SA’s take care of it. The SA’s are fantastic because I bet there are more Mr. 10 pairs out there than Shoenuts. That’s a fact.
I have a great SA but we couldn’t connect the weekend of the Trunk Show as the store was closed on the weekend and Monday was Yom Kippur, so I ordered online Sunday.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read stuff like this and I think some of you guys are way more discriminating about fit than I am

I think I'm TTS in everything but maybe I'm just lazy (I hate trying stuff on and stores don't stock B width anyway) and low maintenance
I’m lazy, 10D or bust.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sales, and I spent a sizable portion of my career in sales training, is ALWAYS a relationship driven thing. People buy based on price for some things, but for serious purchases, intangible things, luxury items, people buy based on a relationship with a competent sales person. It's the RELATIONSHIP that matters, nothing else. Call an SA you trust, get the job done.

Cronmok

Reaction score

I had the same issue with a chili Hamilton ordered for red, but arrived with black dainite. I was told the same thing: I could either send them back for a “free” recrafting with red dainite or return for refund. Ultimately, I kept them and customer service discounted a portion of the purchase price (not quite to seconds pricing). Suboptimal outcome, but the path of least resistance for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads