• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another mid-60s day called for another suede shoe. This is the chukka with no name that I got from our favorite eBay seller. They came with a bit of spotting on one of the vamps that I need to hit with some suede cleaner. Built on the same last as the Higgins Mill, but at 11D, it's a half-size down from what I usually wear. Hey, beggars can't be choosers with such a low run of these bad boys. Love the welt, love the unlined sued, and love the blue (although I really should be wearing these with a lighter color pants). "Meh" on the crepe sole and I wish they had 3 eyelets, but those are about my only gripes. I'm surprised this one didn't get a final run and a real name. AE should definitely think about bringing these back, but with a different sole. I'd be OK if AE called them the "Hoatie."

Sorry for the lousy pose. I either need to hem these jeans, or I need to make my legs longer. Focusing more on my leg game than my jeans game lately. Got started on building a couple of Morris chairs for my dad and myself. Laminated quarter sawn white oak with band sawn veneers on the side. I only wish my own legs were as sexy as these.
View attachment 1460419

View attachment 1460420
They have a non-donkey name already. Sonorans. They say it on the footbed per all AE, as I recall?
Never made past pre-production. Were supposed to be spring 2017 I think?
You mention other things, but leave off they're Janus suede and have poron footbeds? For shame.
IMG_20200403_080808__01.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They have a non-donkey name already. Sonorans. They say it on the footbed per all AE, as I recall?
You mention other things, but leave off they're Janus suede and have poron footbeds? For shame.
View attachment 1460447
The Montauk is so much better. You know that.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1460447

Yours have a name? Lucky bastard! Mine have nothing but an imprinted AE logo. No remnants of a name anywhere. Also, I'm not sure mine have a poron insole. I'm kind of a PoronMoron™, but this doesn't seem to look or feel like a poron insole. If I'm mistaken, that error is on me, and I will do my poron penance later.

IMG_4172.jpg

And, I'm not sure how I forgot to mention the Janus suede. Thanks for reinforcing my idiocy.

Regardless, more people should have access to these chukkas. What say I send my chukkas to your chukkas with a couple bottles of Boone's Farm strawberry wine and an Al Green CD and we leave them alone for a couple of nights? 9 months later, we should have a whole litter of these chukkas we can put in others' hands. (Someone please correct me if I don't have the gestation rate of suede chukkas correct.)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yours have a name? Lucky bastard! Mine have nothing but an imprinted AE logo. No remnants of a name anywhere. Also, I'm not sure mine have a poron insole. I'm kind of a PoronMoron™, but this doesn't seem to look or feel like a poron insole. If I'm mistaken, that error is on me, and I will do my poron penance later.

View attachment 1460465

And, I'm not sure how I forgot to mention the Janus suede. Thanks for reinforcing my idiocy.

Regardless, more people should have access to these chukkas. What say I send my chukkas to your chukkas with a couple bottles of Boone's Farm strawberry wine and an Al Green CD and we leave them alone for a couple of nights? 9 months later, we should have a whole litter of these chukkas we can put in others' hands. (Someone please correct me if I don't have the gestation rate of suede chukkas correct.)
Boone's Farm? Really? Everyone knows that Grape MD 20/20 puts Chukkas in the mood.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1460465

Wow. Yours must have been an earlier iteration! Mine definitely have a full length liner. You showed me yours, so I'll show you mine when I get home

pbrandes

Reaction score

View attachment 1460465

I would totally go for a pair of those, maybe more depending on color options.

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys: If AE could improve just one facet of their shoe making, what would that be? And I am not looking for "all" from the list below.
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing
  6. clicking (or at least not using loose grain in obvious places)
Which one of the above would make you happiest?

Stitch Density

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NON-AE... Thursday just released a sneaker now. The interesting part to me is the material: Natty CXL available.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1460465

Well, you done taught me a thing or two! No poron indeed.
IMG_20200917_174325.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads