• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can definitely tell you that the suede Strand runs tight. Both of my Suede Strands are my most tight 65 lasted shoes.

I concur. I have suede strands in taupe and loden. They run tight and are thus some best fitting pairs!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random thoughts that should carry no particular weight with anyone:

1. All balmorals are oxfords but not oxfords are balmorals. If any seam descends to the welt other than the toe cap seam, it is not a balmoral. E.g. a McAllister /Jefferson is an oxford but not a balmoral. However, and as has been noted above, ACTUAL SHOE CONPANIES do not seem to agree.

2. Nobody cares about the above. :)

3. It may be an age or regional thing but with my accent, "sneakers" is pronounced "TEN-es-shoes."

4. I was well into adulthood before hearing or reading the word "chinos." Even then I wasn't sure what it was (and suspect it was some yankee thing to be avoided). Then I saw it used in an LL Bean catalog. I still don't use the word.

5. Despite some saying "dress khakis" is an oxymoron, khaki colored tailored gabs are common with odd jacket and tie down here in warm weather climes in all but the coldest (relatively speaking) months. I've seen standing bankruptcy trustees wear them to court. They are part of summer weddings uniforms, especially if the service and/or reception is outdoors. They are usually paired with the same sort of footwear one would see with linen or seersucker trousers.

6. For those itching to buy a $700 shell tennis shoe that may - or may not - be recraftable, then rock on with your bad self. However, I would have thought such a shoe in CXL in interesting colors might have worked just as well.

7. Unless the shell is ... unlined??? Would it be unlined?

This will be very interesting. However, if it is going to be a brand new model - and perhaps even if it isn't - sizing may be a bit of a challenge.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. All balmorals are oxfords but not oxfords are balmorals. If any seam descends to the welt other than the toe cap seam, it is not a balmoral. E.g. a McAllister /Jefferson is an oxford but not a balmoral. However, and as has been noted above, ACTUAL SHOE CONPANIES do not seem to agree.

I care, and always assumed my Jefferson and Cambridge were balmorals. I always thought a balmoral was defined by the lacing. So the Strand is not a balmoral too?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3. It may be an age or regional thing but with my accent, "sneakers" is pronounced "TEN-es-shoes."

4. I was well into adulthood before hearing or reading the word "chinos." Even then I wasn't sure what it was (and suspect it was some yankee thing to be avoided). Then I saw it used in an LL Bean catalog. I still don't use the word.

5. Despite some saying "dress khakis" is an oxymoron, khaki colored tailored gabs are common with odd jacket and tie down here in warm weather climes in all but the coldest (relatively speaking) months. I've seen standing bankruptcy trustees wear them to court. They are part of summer weddings uniforms, especially if the service and/or reception is outdoors. They are usually paired with the same sort of footwear one would see with linen or seersucker trousers.

6. For those itching to buy a $700 shell tennis shoe that may - or may not - be recraftable, then rock on with your bad self. However, I would have thought such a shoe in CXL in interesting colors might have worked just as well.

This will be very interesting. However, if it is going to be a brand new model - and perhaps even if it isn't - sizing may be a bit of a challenge.
177adb34-ad5f-4b01-b851-6ad1d9b18046_text_hi.gif

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As mentioned before in another post, is a wholecut then a balmoral?

I see several distinctions in athletic and casualwear shoes:

Sneaker: A broad definition for any shoe that is not a dress shoe
Tennis Shoe: An athletic shoe for playing sports or running
Trainer: Regional variant of Tennis Shoe (often used outside the USA)
Rubber Shoe: Regional variant of Tennis Shoe (often used in Southeast Asia)
Dress Sneaker: Sneakers that are NOT Tennis Shoes

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree on this pretty universally...I have a hard time with both sneakers and chinos as words.
I care, and always assumed my Jefferson and Cambridge were balmorals. I always thought a balmoral was defined by the lacing. So the Strand is not a balmoral too?
I've trumped this a couple times, though last time I think was over a year ago based on a quick search!

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings gents, sorry to interrupt the TS20.2 discussion.

A little coffee talk with @tcbinnc this morning. Thanks for meeting up again @tcbinnc it was great seeing you again! (Yes we were wearing masks for this photo as we were too close to observe social distancing guidelines.)

Clockwise from the top: @tcbinnc, AEFaninTampa’s dad, and @AEfaninTampa.
9F0CB675-2079-495C-8C9B-7C77237EEA45.jpeg
Dad is adjusting the tightness of his Maritimes before committing to trimming the laces. ;)

After coffee, I headed into downtown Raleigh to browse the goods at Ealdwine Raleigh (https://www.ealdwineraleigh.com). Thanks for the hospitality @jpm1 it was a pleasure meeting you and exploring the store. Appreciate the Alden education. What a great selection of menswear: Alden, Ashland Leather, Frank Clegg, Mizzen + Main, Chup, Pantherella, and others. If you are looking for shell tab belts in colors other than AE offers, you should check them out!
434997D5-1DB6-4003-BA96-AD4DA46A480A.jpeg
C1494B17-E37C-4B9B-9431-9E10EF069220.jpeg
I picked up a new Alden horsehair brush(those things are beefy!) and an Ashland natural CXL valet tray.

And of course, had to take the patented @jpm1 photo from the mirror.
C6C7C271-D824-4B25-898C-6A533ECAADFD.jpeg
Happy Friday eve and back to your regularly scheduled trunk-sneaker show discussion...

Patiently waiting on the shell color options to be revealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads