• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aaaaah. Thank you. I have "bad" closure on all my shoes, which I assign to just being a 3E and/or having high insteps too. Do any 3E's here have good closure to report, as in not a wide "V"? Thanks.
If you're looking for oxfords, Alden's Hampton last cures the large v gap for @smfdoc . He's able to get pretty good closure as I recall if her sizes correctly in Macs and Leeds.

As described, I have a problem with closure if I go TTS at 11EEE in AE lasts. It's been a while, and the first pair may have been 11.5EEE. Going to 11.5EEE does work better for me in 511 and 79 last.

v9AhD.jpeg

1U3os.jpeg

This caused me to go up in length, since I was maxed out on width. The closure gets better but then I start having wide gaps in the throat of the shoe. Yes, I see this amount of v gap on the thread, and even more, but it is too wide for my particular taste. I went with a Hampton last on Alden and it closes better and does so at 11EEE. It can be a solution for some people with a wide foot AND a high instep. Hampton last seen below.

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

cincytri

Reaction score
This is what 100 bucks worth of AE bags looks like. I’m thankful to have picked them up at a discount, but also a little irritated at myself for being conditioned to purchase something that should have been there in the first place. Oh well, at least every shoe has a bag now and I guess that’s worth something.

Attachments

• D1A02569-1E62-4728-9D50-48F319B8AC95.jpeg
    D1A02569-1E62-4728-9D50-48F319B8AC95.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Blue_Bowtie

Reaction score
Hey gents, for the trunk show I’m thinking about getting a Strand in Chili shell, lightest welt color available, split reverse welt on *gasp* Dainite. What color Dainite might look the most awesome?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey gents, for the trunk show I’m thinking about getting a Strand in Chili shell, lightest welt color available, split reverse welt on *gasp* Dainite. What color Dainite might look the most awesome?
Dainite.....?????? the best color is none, Strand on double oak!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Evidence:

I know it's oxblood, but should give you an idea.
Might look good but red Dainite is like a bad boob job. Look good but at the end of the day they are hard as rocks. I find blue to be most comfortable and black to be a close second.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As described, I have a problem with closure if I go TTS at 11EEE in AE lasts. It's been a while, and the first pair may have been 11.5EEE. Going to 11.5EEE does work better for me in 511 and 79 last.

View attachment 1435163
View attachment 1435164

This caused me to go up in length, since I was maxed out on width. The closure gets better but then I start having wide gaps in the throat of the shoe. Yes, I see this amount of v gap on the thread, and even more, but it is too wide for my particular taste. I went with a Hampton last on Alden and it closes better and does so at 11EEE. It can be a solution for some people with a wide foot AND a high instep. Hampton last seen below.

View attachment 1435165

View attachment 1435166
View attachment 1435167
Those captoe shells are awesome. Hoping to add a pair. I have the 907s. I like the fit.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might look good but red Dainite is like a bad boob job. Look good but at the end of the day they are hard as rocks. I find blue to be most comfortable and black to be a close second.
In my wild fantasies, I’d do navy shell on red dainite—call em the blue raspberries.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Counter Evidence. You decide.
I agree that red is the hardest if all the dainites.
Black and blue are better for comfort, so is olive.
That said, for red upper and light welt, red color wise is the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads