• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of natural CXL:
0F64CF87-C8B9-4D7B-A15D-F9B54714AD13.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@pbrandes So those were natural Higgins you own on the left? I falsely thought they were the brown. I guess it goes to show that eventually the natural becomes brown to some degree. I love the light natural, but perhaps I'm living in a fantasy by thinking they will stay that way.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go. They're on the same last so fit is basically the same if you know your size in either. Only diffs are shaft height and captoe vs. plain. As I mentioned, the newer Horween chromex browns seem to be a lot darker and more red, but these OG HMs are so close to the new natty that I don't think I'll keep the Pattons, barring some exceptional weaseling.

View attachment 1479803
Thank you very much!!

pbrandes

Reaction score
@pbrandes So those were natural Higgins you own on the left? I falsely thought they were the brown. I guess it goes to show that eventually the natural becomes brown to some degree. I love the light natural, but perhaps I'm living in a fantasy by thinking they will stay that way.

Au contraire, the Higgies on the left are the original brown chromex, not the original natty (I swapped the laces for the light ones that came with the natty, but these were the (then) standard brown. That was my point in my earlier post—the new natty is a lot darker and very close to what was once brown, but the new brown also seems very different.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep telling my little brother that “this” is the way jeans should fold/lay at the shoe (not an excessive big baggy hot mess of ****). P.s. love those shoe?
You would think if the sauce is too saucy then he wouldn’t be wearing jeans that are too baggy.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for at least, pick a style from a predetermined list. Pick a leather type from a list. Pick your sole. Maybe even pick your welt. Color of welt and stitching should be left up to AE. That would make a decent list of ways to get a personalized shoe without creating too much loss of efficiency.
Group MTOs mean we decide on one shoe, and anyone who wishes to participate does so. All the specs must be the same. Historically, we have offered a sole option. We would need enough participants to make that shoe worthwhile. This is how it worked in the past and tbh, we have not revisited how it will work going forward, though we are interested in doing them in the future.

*Edit: past examples:

- @M2511 suggested a brown shell Macneil with a last change, antique eyelets, wheeling, and a few other specs. He was able to get enough people interested that we did the shoe. This was before I could communicate with you all directly.

- we did a brown shell Higgins before that was ever a thing, or offered in a trunk show. Same thing there.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Group MTOs mean we decide on one shoe, and anyone who wishes to participate does so. All the specs must be the same. Historically, we have offered a sole option. We would need enough participants to make that shoe worthwhile. This is how it worked in the past and tbh, we have not revisited how it will work going forward, though we are interested in doing them in the future.
I remember the days when you could get one shoe made on the last you wanted. It was great for me because someone with my shoe size would order a special makeup and end up returning. Just because kind of thing. Over the years I picked up a lot of these at second’s price but they were first quality. Too many guys like this killed the whole program. I was able to sell a lot of them after wearing for a profit. I understand why a GTMO would be a better option. Hopefully you guys can figure out how to do it economically.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember the days when you could get one shoe made on the last you wanted. It was great for me because someone with my shoe size would order a special makeup and end up returning. Just because kind of thing. Over the years I picked up a lot of these at second’s price but they were first quality. Too many guys like this killed the whole program. I was able to sell a lot of them after wearing for a profit. I understand why a GTMO would be a better option. Hopefully you guys can figure out how to do it economically.
I’d love to see any most anything made on the 42 last...

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do my best to really listen to you all while also managing expectations and protecting the future of custom product in general. I think most people here are really reasonable. It hurts my heart when I see people nitpicking on what falls within the margins of acceptable 'quirk' as it pertains to shell and custom handcrafted product, but luckily I don't see much of that here. Any kind of custom program is a fragile thing...but It's the most exciting aspect of my job, frankly. I love trying to make this stuff possible for you all. I already have some ideas for what we are doing next...and after that...I think we'd at least be open to some suggestions.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d love to see any most anything made on the 42 last...
It would all depend on how well that last sold. I wonder were all the lasts that don’t work out go? Is there an island of last misfits? That would make a great Christmas movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads