• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woollymok one more time.
View attachment 1480060
Granted I’ve been out of the AE game for some time, but this is a fantastic looking shoe.

Seeing the wool/leather combo again makes me hopeful we will see a return of the shaker heights sometime soon.

Though hopefully not until I’m no longer unemployed.:(

matwa

Reaction score
Grey McTavish

1019-20 McTavish.jpg

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still going to be in the high 80’s today...managed to get outside before it got too warm. Some of you AE fans in Phoenix may be wishing for 80 degree weather. 144 days over 100 degrees out there this year...how do you guys do it?

Had to run out to Costco to pickup a special something for the wife. Apparently, this is a hot selling item. Of the five Costco locations within 50 miles, only one had any of these left. For some reason, I don’t think 24 half bottles are enough...
D37DF8E5-7F5C-40BB-A6E2-4EEE185BFBEF.jpeg
First wear of the new Courtside in navy (EEE width!). For those of you keen eyed photo critics out there...
5659B4D0-8C30-4AD7-A63F-3F70A301F446.jpeg
This is what that blob is. Sunning him (or her) self. This is Florida - if there is a freshwater lake, creek, stream, pond, slough, etc. it most likely has a gator in it...
1BD17671-F23A-42B6-A289-F5446D00EA19.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Reaction score
Got my unexpected purchase on Saturday. Wearing them inside today to confirm I'm keeping them. I'm about 95% of the way there, but I'm just making sure. They're a little tighter than I thought I'd be, given that they're on the same last as the Higgins Mill, and I like how that one fits a lot. I'm also reminding myself that I've got wool socks on today to emulate the winter wear they're going to see and I've got to spend a few more hard hours every week on the treadmill to combat the COVID-19 I feel like I'm putting on these days. Also, I'll probably fix the lacing later, but kept them like this to make all the OCDers' eyeballs itch for a while.

IMG_4277.jpg

The Alpine Lace-to-Toe doesn't get much love here. Heck, none of the Alpine models seem to get the love. But, I pulled the trigger on these for two specific reasons. The first one is that they were dirt cheap. Would have been cheaper as 2nds, but Jason tracked down 2 pairs in the system for me and I decided to spend the extra coin on a pair of firsts after hearing about the flaws on them. There's still some loose grain around the shaft on this pair, but nothing outrageous. Just regular boot building hazards.

The second reason is that I really needed something with the Arctic Grip for this winter. We used to have a 75-pound Labrador mix named Hank who walked like a dream every morning. There's a park at the end of the street with a couple of spots that collect black ice that's part of our regular walking route. Even with a normal walking dog, I'd still bite it a couple of times each winter during our early morning walks. It's just a hazard of the walk. Plus, the adrenaline that comes with wiping out on the sidewalk really keeps the blood flowing. It's like drinking an espresso brewed with a 5-hour energy drink.

Anyway, we had to put Hank down this summer after an aggressive form of cancer got to him. Because we're a dog family, we jumped back in a month or so later and picked up Phoebe at the end of August. She's a 65-pound pit bull without an ounce of fat on her. To say she's strong is putting it mildly. She gets low to the ground and just flies with the kind of torque not seen outside the muscle car industry. Unfortunately, she also takes it as a personal affront every time there's a squirrel at the park. We're working on it, but it's taking time. I had visions of multiple wipeouts on the sidewalks this winter as she bolted after yet another squirrel.

While I know nothing will prevent all the falls I've got in store for me, the Arctic Grip can't hurt. I looked at the the cap toe version of the Alpine, but I've got already got some brown cap toe boots, I figured why not go for something a little different? I've never owned a "roofer" style lace up like this in any form, and I don't currently own any AE grain (outside of the partial grain on the Sullivan Street), so this style scratches two curious itches at a lower price than the cap toe. Since I'm really just buying it for performance, let's give this bad boy a whirl.

Oh, and don't let this sweet girl with literal Resting Bitch Face fool you. While she can rest with the best of them after a long walk, it takes effort to get her to this point every day. We're also at the point where we don't even bother trying to straighten up the couch any more, since she makes it her own every morning.

IMG_4262.jpg

Last edited:

WSB17

Reaction score
I didn't know they brought back the Lexington model (cap-toe derbies):

This is one model I've always liked but found the fit (65 last) to be a bit inconsistent (tiny bit long in my case), compared to other 65 models like the Park Ave, etc.
I purchased one back in 2017 and ended up selling it because it creased too quickly at the cap-toe..

Since it's a sale, I'm considering giving the walnut a try, maybe in a narrower width.

Any thoughts ?

DawgPound

Reaction score
What makes them seem ho-hum to you? This is surprising to hear.
To me it wasn’t ho-hum. It was the first trunk show I participated in, and if my prior posts say anything, I was extremely happy...wished i would’ve gotten one in the DMC as well. The uniqueness of the offerings, especially the colors offered, has been appreciated by at least this guy.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my unexpected purchase on Saturday. Wearing them inside today to confirm I'm keeping them. I'm about 95% of the way there, but I'm just making sure. They're a little tighter than I thought I'd be, given that they're on the same last as the Higgins Mill, and I like how that one fits a lot. I'm also reminding myself that I've got wool socks on today to emulate the winter wear they're going to see and I've got to spend a few more hard hours every week on the treadmill to combat the COVID-19 I feel like I'm putting on these days. Also, I'll probably fix the lacing later, but kept them like this to make all the OCDers' eyeballs itch for a while.

View attachment 1480200

The Alpine Lace-to-Toe doesn't get much love here. Heck, none of the Alpine models seem to get the love. But, I pulled the trigger on these for two specific reasons. The first one is that they were dirt cheap. Would have been cheaper as 2nds, but Jason tracked down 2 pairs in the system for me and I decided to spend the extra coin on a pair of firsts after hearing about the flaws on them. There's still some loose grain around the shaft on this pair, but nothing outrageous. Just regular boot building hazards.

The second reason is that I really needed something with the Arctic Grip for this winter. We used to have a 75-pound Labrador mix named Hank who walked like a dream every morning. There's a park at the end of the street with a couple of spots that collect black ice that's part of our regular walking route. Even with a normal walking dog, I'd still bite it a couple of times each winter during our early morning walks. It's just a hazard of the walk. Plus, the adrenaline that comes with wiping out on the sidewalk really keeps the blood flowing. It's like drinking an espresso brewed with a 5-hour energy drink.

Anyway, we had to put Hank down this summer after an aggressive form of cancer got to him. Because we're a dog family, we jumped back in a month or so later and picked up Phoebe at the end of August. She's a 65-pound pit bull without an ounce of fat on her. To say she's strong is putting it mildly. She gets low to the ground and just flies with the kind of torque not seen outside the muscle car industry. Unfortunately, she also takes it as a personal affront every time there's a squirrel at the park. We're working on it, but it's taking time. I had visions of multiple wipeouts on the sidewalks this winter as she bolted after yet another squirrel.

While I know nothing will prevent all the falls I've got in store for me, the Arctic Grip can't hurt. I looked at the the cap toe version of the Alpine, but I've got already got some brown cap toe boots, I figured why not go for something a little different? I've never owned a "roofer" style lace up like this in any form, and I don't currently own any AE grain (outside of the partial grain on the Sullivan Street), so this style scratches two curious itches at a lower price than the cap toe. Since I'm really just buying it for performance, let's give this bad boy a whirl.

Oh, and don't let this sweet girl with literal Resting Bitch Face fool you. While she can rest with the best of them after a long walk, it takes effort to get her to this point every day. We're also at the point where we don't even bother trying to straighten up the couch any more, since she makes it her own every morning.

View attachment 1480215
Phoebe looks like a sweetie! And I'll bet she can pull like a tractor - good luck with the Arctic Grips and the ice... :)

Jimmy R

Reaction score
FedEx delivered a beauty on this sunny Sunday afternoon!

View attachment 1479702
At first glance, noticed the gold sticker is not on the box like previous TS (SMU) makeups, but couldn't help but notice the pink tag.

View attachment 1479708
Captures all of the order details:
-Chili Shell
-Split-Reverse Welt (Antique)
-Double JR Sole

View attachment 1479712
Double bagged these! Glad to see AE providing two bags! Even if not the white flannel bag, these are most definitely appreciated!

View attachment 1479717
Quick indoor shot of these before letting them bask in the California sun!

View attachment 1479721
Double JR goodness! :p

View attachment 1479723
Absolutely stunning! Chili is so rich and has multiple personalities!

View attachment 1479724
View attachment 1479726
This is only 1 of 4 incoming from the TS, but if this is any indication of how they've been crafted, then I'm beyond impressed!
Honestly, I regret not grabbing a Chili pair of these in addition to my Burgundy ones, and the Cognac ones I have on order. At least I have the waterproof calf ones in Chili coming...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's