• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

rxcats

Reaction score
No, but I’ll share a picture for you...
View attachment 1464829
Looking at this photo, I was certain I was going to order either Strand, Hamilton or Landon in green shell. I went to my local AE near Union Square in SF today. The SA brought out something he had in green shell and it looked much darker (even under light) than this photo. The navy shell seemed more noticeably navy blue so now I am considering that instead. Got to make a decision by Monday.

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
Looking at this photo, I was certain I was going to order either Strand, Hamilton or Landon in green shell. I went to my local AE near Union Square in SF today. The SA brought out something he had in green shell and it looked much darker (even under light) than this photo. The navy shell seemed more noticeably navy blue so now I am considering that instead. Got to make a decision by Monday.

It didn't look like this green
LandonDark_Green_Cordovan_Angle_web.jpg
???

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this reservation is people aligning their expectations and "fearing the worst" as the feedback from the last shell TS was pretty critical in regards to the discrepancy of the shaved shell, especially if their model had different panels stitched together.

To me, this is what makes the marbled cognac so intriguing as it'll truly be a 1 of 1, just like I've seen with Nike's multi-colored flyknit uppers. Even from left/right shoes, there is a difference and that adds to the "fun". My only concern is if I want to get a Hamilton AND a Strand in Dark Marbled Cognac and which welt color to choose.

By default, what is the JR sole for a Strand? Single or Double? And for the Brown Shell, is the Edge/welt brown? Even though I own this shoe, my color blindness really impacts my ability to discern colors, just notice if they don't match. And for those who have been hyping Chili Hamiltons, I hate you! Added that to the list, as well (thinking of going natural/buff split-reverse welt on double JR, but again, what edge
I was lucky enough to score a pair of shaved cherry Dundees after the TS as seconds. They were returned for that reason: the right and left shoes were slightly different. I love that added charm. Among my most complimented pair.

rxcats

Reaction score
It didn't look like this greenView attachment 1466195???
No. It really didn’t. Perhaps in the sunlight it would (what SA said), but it looked almost black under direct store lighting. I have an idea that some of the green shell photos in this tread were a “greener” version offered in the past. I’m definitely buying something Monday (my SA is off Sunday), but I’m now struggling with which colour to get. If I had ordered online I would have ordered green shell (based on photos only).

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I’ll be ordering my first shell shoe ever this weekend. I just need to decide which color will be most useful for me: chili or burgundy Hamiltons with the antique split reverse welt, double JR soles.

Post pics of either combo on any shoe if you got them to help me out.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocking my Pattons today. Wish I could have got more fit info for the Landon because I really wanted a pair in marbled. But I settled for a Hamilton in marbled since I know what size should work.

What's everyone's thoughts for pairing the Hamiltons with Jean's since they seem more on the dressy side?
I wear my tan nubuck Hamiltons with denim almost exclusively. The Hamilton goes VERY well with jeans in my opinion and I actually feel they are more suited for jeans than dress pants. They lean casual.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
I think I’ll be ordering my first shell shoe ever this weekend. I just need to decide which color will be most useful for me: chili or burgundy Hamiltons with the antique split reverse welt, double JR soles.

I own chili strands which are quite red - burgundy might be more versatile as a darker hue. Really depends what you want.

Hisheirness23

Reaction score

I don't think you can go wrong with either. However, when I placed my TS order on Friday, the sales associate looked up their inventory of shells and gave me the actual counts remaining: 6 Chili, 20 Marbled Dark Cognac, and 10 Bourbon left.

"Limited Quantities" appeared to be correct...

With both colors being available, I agree with @HCapLonghorn that Burgundy is more versatile. However, Chili is absolutely incredible (especially with an antique split-reverse welt with whiskey edge). I'm not so sure about Burgundy with an antique welt. To me, the brown welt and polo brown edge would be a cleaner look for Burgundy.

ae_ashley

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with either. However, when I placed my TS order on Friday, the sales associate looked up their inventory of shells and gave me the actual counts remaining: 6 Chili, 20 Marbled Dark Cognac, and 10 Bourbon left.

"Limited Quantities" appeared to be correct...

With both colors being available, I agree with @HCapLonghorn that Burgundy is more versatile. However, Chili is absolutely incredible (especially with an antique split-reverse welt with whiskey edge). I'm not so sure about Burgundy with an antique welt. To me, the brown welt and polo brown edge would be a cleaner look for Burgundy.
It's awesome that they were able to find that, but I've not been updated that anything is I'm danger of selling out. This tells me that we either have more than that or are easily able to get more than that without affecting the quote time much. I wouldn't worry. I'll update you guys if you need to start worrying.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. It really didn’t. Perhaps in the sunlight it would (what SA said), but it looked almost black under direct store lighting. I have an idea that some of the green shell photos in this tread were a “greener” version offered in the past. I’m definitely buying something Monday (my SA is off Sunday), but I’m now struggling with which colour to get. If I had ordered online I would have ordered green shell (based on photos only).
Two things, there’s a good chance it’ll lighten up after your first buff cycle. @BFT9000 had a burgundy(?) pair last shell show that lightened up noticeably once the excess color came off.
Second, part of the beauty of shell is it lightens with age. As you wear them, they will naturally begin to lighten with sunlight.

so, just because they’re darker than you see in our hero shots doesn’t mean that’s the way they’ll always be...

rxcats

Reaction score
Two things, there’s a good chance it’ll lighten up after your first buff cycle. @BFT9000 had a burgundy(?) pair last shell show that lightened up noticeably once the excess color came off.
Second, part of the beauty of shell is it lightens with age. As you wear them, they will naturally begin to lighten with sunlight.

so, just because they’re darker than you see in our hero shots doesn’t mean that’s the way they’ll always be...
Thanks for the info! I really want the green colour I've been seeing on here. As long as there is a reasonable chance that they will lighten up like that, I'll go ahead and get them. Maybe I can buff them out real good and put them in a sunny windowsill when I'm not wearing them (at least until they lighten sufficiently). I'm also going to have to research proper maintenance of shell cordovan. I have only one other pair (Dalton in chili shell cordovan) that I bought during the last anniversary sale. Didn't get them until several months later and haven't done any work on them yet. All of my other AEs are calf (probably about 25-30 pairs; just a beginner!).

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I really want the green colour I've been seeing on here. As long as there is a reasonable chance that they will lighten up like that, I'll go ahead and get them. Maybe I can buff them out real good and put them in a sunny windowsill when I'm not wearing them (at least until they lighten sufficiently). I'm also going to have to research proper maintenance of shell cordovan. I have only one other pair (Dalton in chili shell cordovan) that I bought during the last anniversary sale. Didn't get them until several months later and haven't done any work on them yet. All of my other AEs are calf (probably about 25-30 pairs; just a beginner!).
You can get a bit of variance in shell cordovan, so the pair you get may be lighter. I really wouldn't overthink it, they will be awesome. The key to shell cordovan maintenance... Less is more! BRUSH, WEAR, ENJOY, REPEAT. A brand new pair shouldn't need any product. Wear in good health!

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's awesome that they were able to find that, but I've not been updated that anything is I'm danger of selling out. This tells me that we either have more than that or are easily able to get more than that without affecting the quote time much. I wouldn't worry. I'll update you guys if you need to start worrying.
Cool! Will be in touch today. Sorry we couldn't touch base last night.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green is very dark except in daylight.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami