• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vdubiv

Reaction score
IMHO, you can't beat Vans for casual shoes.
I've never owned any Van's but I'll agree, everyone I talk to raves them up for casual shoes. I would rock Van's on the weekend in a casual setting.
On the other hand I personally dont view the new sneaker options as casual shoes, granted they are more casual than most of AE's usual offerings, I see these shoes as something I would wear to work throughout the week. If I were to wear them on the weekend it would be a setting where I wanna look more mature and smart casual, not just slamming beers and eating wings watching the game.

vdubiv

Reaction score
I got you, just didn't know the welt so I left it blank.
In my defense I ordered off the site and not through a sales associate, I just moved back to the states and dont have a relationship with any of them, I debated calling one and changing the welt/edge color but I think it will work well with the chestnut Danite, and should play well with the marble Cognac from what the pictures look like

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looked at the spreadsheet, some of you going in hard. 3 of you at 4 pairs. Kudos. I haven't done that in quite some time. I'm having trouble wearing all my shoes. Since C-19 a large % of my shoes have not been worn. At this rate I think like 6 pairs will have a majority of the wears and the rest will finish year at 1-2 max.
I ordered 4 of the marbled dark cognac because I don’t know if and when I’ll get the chance to buy this color again (as a B width my options are very limited in terms of makers).

Debating adding navy strand. It’s been on my list forever and I keep saying “next time”

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered 4 of the marbled dark cognac because I don’t know if and when I’ll get the chance to buy this color again (as a B width my options are very limited in terms of makers).

Debating adding navy strand. It’s been on my list forever and I keep saying “next time”
Navy Strand.

DO IT! ;)

105CDEB2-3C40-42B7-903C-497FFE8FDD1F.jpeg
No debate necessary!

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my defense I ordered off the site and not through a sales associate, I just moved back to the states and dont have a relationship with any of them, I debated calling one and changing the welt/edge color but I think it will work well with the chestnut Danite, and should play well with the marble Cognac from what the pictures look like
Have you never heard of love at first call? I fell in love with my SA the first time I asked her if she would sell me a shoe. She said yes. Not a lot of yeses for me from women. So I took it as a win.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My theory is that many of us on the forum started with AE years ago and we have a picture of a company in our head. It's an American company that makes fine dress shoes in the USA. We enjoyed that part of the story when we received complements on our shoes and we felt sad for the others who were happy in their ignorance with square bicycle toe shoes that were made in China or some other far off place. Then changes occurred and some of the AE offerings were made in the DR or some other location. Some of us noticed QC issues that crept in and these things were not in line with our mental picture of the company. The introduction of sneakers is the latest change not in line with our image of the company and we feel it is a negative reflection on the value we place on the brand.

TL;DR. We see AE as a dress shoe company and we don't like change.
Well said. In other words, we are on some "Old Man Shit".
Now, get off my lawn!!!
:paranoia:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just ordered!
Navy with white cup, I see. a GREAT choice,. I have this makeup in full-grain calf from Cobbler Union (wore it today actually).

rxcats

Reaction score
No, but I’ll share a picture for you...
View attachment 1464829
Looking at this photo, I was certain I was going to order either Strand, Hamilton or Landon in green shell. I went to my local AE near Union Square in SF today. The SA brought out something he had in green shell and it looked much darker (even under light) than this photo. The navy shell seemed more noticeably navy blue so now I am considering that instead. Got to make a decision by Monday.

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
Looking at this photo, I was certain I was going to order either Strand, Hamilton or Landon in green shell. I went to my local AE near Union Square in SF today. The SA brought out something he had in green shell and it looked much darker (even under light) than this photo. The navy shell seemed more noticeably navy blue so now I am considering that instead. Got to make a decision by Monday.

It didn't look like this green
LandonDark_Green_Cordovan_Angle_web.jpg
???

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford