• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmh20

Reaction score
Ok, need some perspective from those that aren’t more experienced in fine footwear than I. Received my Bourbon Macneils today, set them on the table and was admiring their beauty when I noticed the left one was wobbling like crazy. A closer look and it seems like the left shoe is warped outward. It’s difficult photograph but I’m wondering if you guys think this warrants asking AE about. Definitely not trying to be “that guy” so let me know if I need to just deal with it!

Attachments

• 1661E80F-4410-4E6D-B418-0727936BF0D6.jpeg
    1661E80F-4410-4E6D-B418-0727936BF0D6.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 23
  • BEFC3473-FBB0-4A23-BB08-A374A2A813B0.jpeg
    BEFC3473-FBB0-4A23-BB08-A374A2A813B0.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 4AA19456-CD28-4030-ABCC-F2255A3B6D71.jpeg
    4AA19456-CD28-4030-ABCC-F2255A3B6D71.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DB6ED549-489D-4D19-8E67-3524925BF043.jpeg
    DB6ED549-489D-4D19-8E67-3524925BF043.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 22

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of shell today, but not from me.

Yesterday, I shared my green and black combinations of the day. (Green Dundees with black denim and green watch strap with black case and dial).

I actually received a second watch yesterday. It’s the Seiko “Bottle Cap” — which earned its nickname from the bezel shape. From the side, I think it’s reminiscent of a Lunar Lander.

6DE7A6CD-150C-45EC-B306-6EFCB5A25F89.jpeg

I’m very impressed with this one. It has a very nice strap. That strap is really thick though, so it makes the watch sit up off my wrist higher than I’d prefer.

437B8554-C67B-4582-849A-CB44CB2D78BB.jpeg

Is that Lunar Lander coming down for a landing, or taking off?

And to bring this back on topic....
1CD70AB3-C75A-41ED-9F74-AD1E8AF9C25F.jpeg

Last edited:

WithBBQSauce

Reaction score
Ok, need some perspective from those that aren’t more experienced in fine footwear than I. Received my Bourbon Macneils today, set them on the table and was admiring their beauty when I noticed the left one was wobbling like crazy. A closer look and it seems like the left shoe is warped outward. It’s difficult photograph but I’m wondering if you guys think this warrants asking AE about. Definitely not trying to be “that guy” so let me know if I need to just deal with it!

Is there something wrong with the tread portion of the heel? It’s hard to tell if it is on the tread or if the heel block is canted.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone! I feel a little hesitant to post a lowly calf in the midst of all these glorious shell pics. But hey... I love these Oak Streets. Easily my most worn pair.

On a non-shoe note, I think I know the answer but I’m going to ask anyway because I trust the overall judgement of the board... mulling over a NWT Brookscool suit for around $100 with shipping from the bay. Should I or shouldn’t I?

View attachment 1280193
$100 is a good price for the suit if you know it will be a decent fit and if you think you’ll wear it.

Well I'm glad I waited. S&M just launched 20% on all suits through Nov. 17.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's right, you know.

Wisdom of the ages, spoken by both of you!

Your post made me swing around in my chair to take a like shot. :)

Green HMs + Soso 20 ounce jeans
View attachment 1280276
Nice boots of course, how do you like the Soso denim, compared to your Brave Stars?
Well I'm glad I waited. S&M just launched 20% on all suits through Nov. 17.
Good call on that. S&M has been hoover-ing up my spare change with their flash sales the last couple of weeks. Their suits are a great value.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots of course, how do you like the Soso denim, compared to your Brave Stars?
Good call on that. S&M has been hoover-ing up my spare change with their flash sales the last couple of weeks. Their suits are a great value.

I grabbed a Brown POW. Strongly considering adding a Navy.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I emailed the store manager I was working with almost two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything back from him yet about my TS purchases. Does that count as not checking? And not just for curiosity sake, because I was moving and didn’t have a certain address I had to have them sent to a friend’s house and trying to keep him in the loop on when they might arrive, and potentially dealing with his upcoming holiday travel. [sigh]

But on a different note, anyone have experience with the Bond street? Reviews seem to be lacking. My inclination is to wait and get black PA’s another time, but marked down and with the extra 20 they are down to $200 which starts to make me consider them. Curious that one color code for black (3412) is on sale and the other (2659) is not.

do you not live close enough to a store to make shipping to store an option?

shipping to store is underrated. It's the best option for smuggling new purchases past a spouse or significant other

Last edited:

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. The brown shell MacNeils are up in the rotation.

View attachment 1280217

Now, since some are fantasizing on the attributes of a hatchet throwing blond, I include a spoilered video of Hanna, an adorable little lady who catches catfish with her hands. (This is known as "noodling" for the uninitiated.)

Catfish you say? There was a Catfish in that video? What Catfish? Where?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of the two mom and pop shipping places near me, one has appalling customer service. The clerks are rude and they charge $2 to drop off a pre-paid, pre-packaged shipment. They aren't supposed to do this, but they do it anyway. As soon as I discovered that I just turned on my heel and left and drove to a different shipping place to drop off my package. I did go back to them earlier this year to get fingerprinted because they have a livescan machine, are close to me, and charged the same prices that everyone else was charging. (California lawyers all had to get re-fingerprinted this year -- I guess too many of us are robbing liquor stores in our spare time.) I think I paid $40. Last week my wife went in to have hers done and they charged her $70. Now I'll never return. The other place nearest to me has excellent service, so I use them for everything.

I am endlessly patient with small businesses, especially those trying to eke out a not-very-lucrative living. I'm the kind of guy who leaves really big tips, not because I want to be a big shot but because it's a kindness and a way to do something nice for a person who works. But this doesn't extend to getting scammed, if someone tries to pick my pocket I'm never doing business with them again.

If my local Fedex told me upfront that they wanted to charge an addition $2.00, I might just accept it. However, them telling me it will cost an additional $9.00 on my prepaid by AE label, is ridiculous. Totally agree with your point on voluntary tips vs being scammed. I've only had this issue with one Fedex and I've dropped off packages at several locations in LA without any request for additional fees.

nmh20

Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the tread portion of the heel? It’s hard to tell if it is on the tread or if the heel block is canted.
It isn’t the tread, the picture of both shoes from behind might be the best picture, but the entire shoe is twisted.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If my local Fedex told me upfront that they wanted to charge an addition $2.00, I might just accept it. However, them telling me it will cost an additional $9.00 on my prepaid by AE label, is ridiculous. Totally agree with your point on voluntary tips vs being scammed. I've only had this issue with one Fedex and I've dropped off packages at several locations in LA without any request for additional fees.
I didn't realize they were franchises or whatever that would allow them to do that! I can tell you right now they would be receiving only the sound of the door slamming on my way out from me. Maybe a box of phallic ******* from a particular ship-a-bag-of website.

gv7123456

Reaction score
do you not live close enough to a store to make shipping to store an option?

shipping to store is underrated. It's the best option for smuggling new purchases past a spouse or significant other
In hindsight, probably the way to go. And at about a 90 -120 minute round trip depending on traffic it is not a huge deal.
In theory shipping to my friend was a good option because I didn’t realize there wouldn’t be tracking sent. Even if he’s out of town in December around the holidays I could swing by his place and grab the delivered shoes with no problem...as long as I know they are going to be delivered on a certain day.

I guess AE needs to run another TS (19.2 and a half) quickly before the year ends so I can set it up properly this time. And so I can get some navy shell. And a burgundy with a lighter edge. And the brown always looks fantastic, too.

michaeliany

Reaction score
Asking out of genuine curiosity, but am I the only one who hasn't bothered to check?

How far along the stated 12 week timeline are we now?
I visited the Costa Mesa store after work yesterday to check on my TS order: Shaved HM and Navy MacNeil.
Both uppers are done and it should be soon.
I told my SA that we're going on vacation for about 2 weeks, starting next weekend.
Since TS orders go to the store first, he said he'd call me when they arrive and if I'm already on vacation, then he'd just hold them until i get back.
This is great because while i have good neighbors that I can text to safekeep deliveries, I prefer the option to have them remain at the AE store (less concern about FedEx handling).

It is strange that some have received their shaved HMs, very early on too. I ordered mine 15min after @polojock615 and he got his a month ago. I asked if there was anything that mentioned why mine was still in production but there was nothing noted in the computer.

So many beautiful TS shoes that others have shared and the anticipation is ebb and flow but certainly heightening as it nears - can't wait to receive mine.

As for some of the iffy TS quality shared here and on the FB group, I really wish they put their top people on these TS builds.
Like only the allstar team handles TS orders. Hopefully next time.

EDIT: and i had to order those Oxblood MacNeils. A freakin' steal. I looked at the Brown waxed HM again: drool. And everyone agreed that the Christmas shoes pricing was high but they will be discounted eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads