• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sole is AE marked, so I'd venture a WAG that whoever did so likely had cheese on their head. :hide:
Why would the pointed ends of the nails be showing? AE does not nail from inside the shoe.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. The brown shell MacNeils are up in the rotation.

View attachment 1280217

Now, since some are fantasizing on the attributes of a hatchet throwing blond, I include a spoilered video of Hanna, an adorable little lady who catches catfish with her hands. (This is known as "noodling" for the uninitiated.)

Uhhh..yeah... no. Love the Brown Mac's though! They give your bourbons some serious competition.

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, need some perspective from those that aren’t more experienced in fine footwear than I. Received my Bourbon Macneils today, set them on the table and was admiring their beauty when I noticed the left one was wobbling like crazy. A closer look and it seems like the left shoe is warped outward. It’s difficult photograph but I’m wondering if you guys think this warrants asking AE about. Definitely not trying to be “that guy” so let me know if I need to just deal with it!
Which way does it wobble, heel to toe, or sideways?

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little catch up for the week
Tuesday brown shell Parks
E633C04D-F312-4224-9DEC-9F7D5C54E1F1.jpeg
Thursday brown shell Strands
A430C690-BC5B-4516-A8EE-5A6CFB5FC226.jpeg
Friday - black and brown? Never!
Football grain and black calf Neumoks
DE65534F-4165-42D4-9B57-99DEFEB1928E.jpeg
Happy weekend gents!.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice overcast natural lighting means more shell Strand family pictures. Apologies to anyone deathly bored of shell Strand family pictures.

View attachment 1280478

Or if you're more into just the classics.

View attachment 1280480
good stuff!

Why would the pointed ends of the nails be showing? AE does not nail from inside the shoe.
Same thing happened to my walnut Strands about 3 years ago. Glue failure, nail ends showing. AE fixed for me. no charge

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truman has more kudu in stock. nice dark brown color. y'all know I love mine.

They also have black bison inbound. So I guess that's my Kwanzaa present to myself. :hide:

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pair of "used" shoes, and have had relatively good luck with them. I got burned on an eBay pair of Alden's once, so now only deal with SF members on the B/S/T threads for brands I'm interested in. I have yet to get a pair of crappy shoes or boots from anyone on this or the Alden forums. We tend to take care of our footwear, maybe some dirt or something in a lug sole, but uppers are great, footbeds not an issue. Unlike the pair of Alden Indy's I got from eBay, that looked great in the photo's, description was wonderful, I won the bid and when they got here, they were the same boots, but not quite in as good a shape as they looked online........however, fit was fine and they are awesome yard work boots now!!!
As @audog well knows (since he has sold me several pair), many (perhaps even most) of my shoes are used. Actually most are from fellow SF members. I have never had an issue with a seller here.
A cautionary tale however.
I recently spotted a NOS pair of rare shell Alden boots on Grailed. I have bought things there before with good success.
This time was different. The price was too good to be true, and that should have served as the first red flag. I didn’t pay attention to the seller’s feedback to see it was 0 (new account). Anyway, a shipping notice was received saying the boots were shipped. I received a delivery notification.
The problem was the boots were supposedly delivered to an address in a city 90 minutes away. :mad:
When I checked back on Grailed, the seller’s account was cancelled. Uh, oh!
I filed a dispute with PayPal and escalated it immediately, since I had no way to contact the seller.
PayPal made me wait 10 days in case the seller surfaced. When he did not, my money was fully refunded from PayPal.
So....
If it is too good to be true, it probably is not true.
Check feedback scores.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @audog well knows (since he has sold me several pair), many (perhaps even most) of my shoes are used. Actually most are from fellow SF members. I have never had an issue with a seller here.
A cautionary tale however.
I recently spotted a NOS pair of rare shell Alden boots on Grailed. I have bought things there before with good success.
This time was different. The price was too good to be true, and that should have served as the first red flag. I didn’t pay attention to the seller’s feedback to see it was 0 (new account). Anyway, a shipping notice was received saying the boots were shipped. I received a delivery notification.
The problem was the boots were supposedly delivered to an address in a city 90 minutes away. :mad:
When I checked back on Grailed, the seller’s account was cancelled. Uh, oh!
I filed a dispute with PayPal and escalated it immediately, since I had no way to contact the seller.
PayPal made me wait 10 days in case the seller surfaced. When he did not, my money was fully refunded from PayPal.
So....
If it is too good to be true, it probably is not true.
Check feedback scores.

Glad you got your money back at least.

The wait sucks for sure, but PP is pretty fair both directions as long as there's documentation.

ptfly

Reaction score
I couldn't resist the sale on Bartlett firsts. I have a pair of strands in cigar but nothing this dark brown.
Hoping it is different enough in color and the B fits. I generally go C in calf strands due to slightly high instep which reduces the V gap.
Never tried a B in this last so fingers crossed.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads