• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wore my 1776's to the Memorial Day parade in Carefree AZ last year when I was in Arizona.

In Arizona veterans still sells red poppies, unlike here in California where that seemed to have stopped during the Viet Nam era.

Bought a red poppy from a veteran, stuck it in my hat and called it macaroni.

View attachment 1277536

The Memorial Day parade in Carefree AZ was a very red, white, and blue event.

View attachment 1277539

Often wish things had worked out differently and I could have lived happily ever after in Arizona,

Often also wish I didn't have to sell around half my shoes, including the 1776's, on eBay before leaving Arizona. At least I know for sure some of my shoes went to very good homes.

Used to wear the 1776's fairly often in Arizona. Always wore them when I wore my seersucker suit.

View attachment 1277544

(Yes, used to wash the laces in my 1776's fairly often.)
Washed the laces? By hand I hope, as I think they could get caught up in a machine.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any 16 EEE's out there? @BagleyBrown

I think he's only 15 EEE.

I dusted off my brown Higgins today that were in storage for a good 8 months or so. Put the green Neumok on the bench since we're in November.

BTW does anyone else feel like the 1757 last and Alden Barrie are very similar? I mean, if you go down 1/2 size from the 1757.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dusted off my brown Higgins today that were in storage for a good 8 months or so. Put the green Neumok on the bench since we're in November.

BTW does anyone else feel like the 1757 last and Alden Barrie are very similar? I mean, if you go down 1/2 size from the 1757.

That’s kind of what I was thinking when I tried a narrow width in the HM. I found that a 10C Barrie is pretty much perfect for me, so a 10.5B Higgins was as close as I could get. It worked out great.

Also funny that 5 years on the thread and I just landed my first HM. I heard it’s a popular boot or something

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is that a width down from or same as your 65 size?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s kind of what I was thinking when I tried a narrow width in the HM. I found that a 10C Barrie is pretty much perfect for me, so a 10.5B Higgins was as close as I could get. It worked out great.

Also funny that 5 years on the thread and I just landed my first HM. I heard it’s a popular boot or something
HM is an ok boot, a couple of people like it :) If on leather sole, it would be an awsome boot, on commando a great boot, on Dainite an ok boot. JMHO.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear the Higgins in the same size and width as the 65. Barrie is down 1/2 size (not width).
I do same in 1757 vs 65. I'm actually a width down from that in Barrie, but I wonder if my forefoot wouldn't be a bit more comfortable up a width. I suspect the heel would be a bit sloppy and probably too much vertical volume, so I haven't tried.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my 1776's to the Memorial Day parade in Carefree AZ last year when I was in Arizona.

In Arizona veterans still sells red poppies, unlike here in California where that seemed to have stopped during the Viet Nam era.

Bought a red poppy from a veteran, stuck it in my hat and called it macaroni.

View attachment 1277536

The Memorial Day parade in Carefree AZ was a very red, white, and blue event.

View attachment 1277539

Often wish things had worked out differently and I could have lived happily ever after in Arizona,

Often also wish I didn't have to sell around half my shoes, including the 1776's, on eBay before leaving Arizona. At least I know for sure some of my shoes went to very good homes.

Used to wear the 1776's fairly often in Arizona. Always wore them when I wore my seersucker suit.

View attachment 1277544

(Yes, used to wash the laces in my 1776's fairly often.)
Thanks, @Roycru, for coming through with a 1776 sighting "fix". Earlier today, was reading of the origin of wearing red poppies on Rememberance Day in England, where I think they still do. I do recall seeing them worn here too but it has been a long, long time, like decades.

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it too. I can accept that there will be a mistake in recrafting once every few dozen of pairs (seems like one boot was recrafted on a last +2 sizes smaller than the other here), but to not own it immediately and only make it right after he publicized it and their response on social media was disheartening to see.
This has me curious, since the person claims one boot came back smaller, is it possible to send shoes in for recraft and request, either 1/2 size or whole size smaller to achieve a better fit on a pair that are too large?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brrrrr.
EDE38F13-57C5-4A51-995E-4FAEB0506E17.png

Brought out the Black Strandmok cause it ain’t all black.
9D7432F4-93A3-4F2B-9D56-195339CBAB3C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads