• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any 16 EEE's out there? @BagleyBrown

I think he's only 15 EEE.

I dusted off my brown Higgins today that were in storage for a good 8 months or so. Put the green Neumok on the bench since we're in November.

BTW does anyone else feel like the 1757 last and Alden Barrie are very similar? I mean, if you go down 1/2 size from the 1757.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dusted off my brown Higgins today that were in storage for a good 8 months or so. Put the green Neumok on the bench since we're in November.

BTW does anyone else feel like the 1757 last and Alden Barrie are very similar? I mean, if you go down 1/2 size from the 1757.
That’s kind of what I was thinking when I tried a narrow width in the HM. I found that a 10C Barrie is pretty much perfect for me, so a 10.5B Higgins was as close as I could get. It worked out great.

Also funny that 5 years on the thread and I just landed my first HM. I heard it’s a popular boot or something

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is that a width down from or same as your 65 size?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s kind of what I was thinking when I tried a narrow width in the HM. I found that a 10C Barrie is pretty much perfect for me, so a 10.5B Higgins was as close as I could get. It worked out great.

Also funny that 5 years on the thread and I just landed my first HM. I heard it’s a popular boot or something
HM is an ok boot, a couple of people like it :) If on leather sole, it would be an awsome boot, on commando a great boot, on Dainite an ok boot. JMHO.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HM is an ok boot, a couple of people like it :) If on leather sole, it would be an awsome boot, on commando a great boot, on Dainite an ok boot. JMHO.
Then I wore a great boot today!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear the Higgins in the same size and width as the 65. Barrie is down 1/2 size (not width).
I do same in 1757 vs 65. I'm actually a width down from that in Barrie, but I wonder if my forefoot wouldn't be a bit more comfortable up a width. I suspect the heel would be a bit sloppy and probably too much vertical volume, so I haven't tried.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my 1776's to the Memorial Day parade in Carefree AZ last year when I was in Arizona.

In Arizona veterans still sells red poppies, unlike here in California where that seemed to have stopped during the Viet Nam era.

Bought a red poppy from a veteran, stuck it in my hat and called it macaroni.

View attachment 1277536

The Memorial Day parade in Carefree AZ was a very red, white, and blue event.

View attachment 1277539

Often wish things had worked out differently and I could have lived happily ever after in Arizona,

Often also wish I didn't have to sell around half my shoes, including the 1776's, on eBay before leaving Arizona. At least I know for sure some of my shoes went to very good homes.

Used to wear the 1776's fairly often in Arizona. Always wore them when I wore my seersucker suit.

View attachment 1277544

(Yes, used to wash the laces in my 1776's fairly often.)
Thanks, @Roycru, for coming through with a 1776 sighting "fix". Earlier today, was reading of the origin of wearing red poppies on Rememberance Day in England, where I think they still do. I do recall seeing them worn here too but it has been a long, long time, like decades.

Last edited:

vdubiv

Reaction score
I saw it too. I can accept that there will be a mistake in recrafting once every few dozen of pairs (seems like one boot was recrafted on a last +2 sizes smaller than the other here), but to not own it immediately and only make it right after he publicized it and their response on social media was disheartening to see.
This has me curious, since the person claims one boot came back smaller, is it possible to send shoes in for recraft and request, either 1/2 size or whole size smaller to achieve a better fit on a pair that are too large?

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brrrrr.
EDE38F13-57C5-4A51-995E-4FAEB0506E17.png

Brought out the Black Strandmok cause it ain’t all black.
9D7432F4-93A3-4F2B-9D56-195339CBAB3C.jpeg

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I wore a great boot today!
Indeed, I do agree it is a much better offering in shell cordovan on double JR. Also very nice on commando. The original version just never did it for me.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has me curious, since the person claims one boot came back smaller, is it possible to send shoes in for recraft and request, either 1/2 size or whole size smaller to achieve a better fit on a pair that are too large?
In order to effectively change the fit of a pair of shoes the insole needs to be taken out and replaced. This is something AE will not do. There are cobblers, who will at a significant price, Brian the Boot maker comes to mind. He will with measurements, take out the insole and create a hand welt, then re-last the shoe with his existing lasts that he builds up to mimic your measurements. To do this the shoe in question must be either really special or great sentimental value.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%