• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acting as pall bearer for an old friend today. It’s nice and muddy outside so the Caravaggio’s get the call.

Attachments

• 6C27AEBB-11FB-4C35-9EB1-ED82E20F95C1.jpeg
    6C27AEBB-11FB-4C35-9EB1-ED82E20F95C1.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 26

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drop a zero there chief! You're looking at 10% to 20% damage rate! :D (more like 500 to 1000 based on your 50k)
I seem to remember some discussion last year with Kristen and on here...I have a (2) in my head, but I don't remember if it was like 200 pairs a day or 20k pairs a year
You are right but I actually meant 500k in shoe output. $170 million x an estimated .85 of new shoe production = $144.5 MM ÷ $289 est. avg. sale price per pair = 500,000 pairs of shoes. And at a .01-.02 damage rate = 5,000-10,000 imperfect pairs. The calculation called for estimates for the unknowns, which of course in actuality are different, but helped me get down to some idea of what number of shoes may be headed to Shoe Bank each year. And then in my size? That would be about 10 pair. lol. Actually, right now there are quite a few listed.

Last edited:

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good looking! I've had tassel loafers since my teens.
My first pair of “dressin’ up” shoes were tassel loafers,Bass,I think,when I was 13- my brother got penny loafers,probably Weejuns as my mom’s still a fan of those with black polish on the burgundy shoe for “patina”

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drop a zero there chief! You're looking at 10% to 20% damage rate! :D (more like 500 to 1000 based on your 50k)
I seem to remember some discussion last year with Kristen and on here...I have a (2) in my head, but I don't remember if it was like 200 pairs a day or 20k pairs a year

Last I heard, they were making 500,000 pair per year. That changes the math!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first pair of “dressin’ up” shoes were tassel loafers,Bass,I think,when I was 13- my brother got penny loafers,probably Weejuns as my mom’s still a fan of those with black polish on the burgundy shoe for “patina”
Years ago, took my now 31 yr old son to a Bass outlet store while his mom was shopping next door. He was probably about 4 or 5 and proceeded to announce VERY LOUDLY to the entire store that if you got rid of the "B" you would have Ass shoes. I was so proud of him! He ran around the store saying Ass, Ass, Ass, Bass without a B is Ass, Ass, Ass. I didn't know he could spell that well :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last I heard, they were making 500,000 pair per year. That changes the math!
1/2 a Million shoes per year, that's almost 10K per week, and that is about 1900 a day assuming a 5 day work week. WOW that's a lot of shoes! And assuming only one 8 hour shift, that's around 240 shoes an hour or about 4 a minute? How many people are actually employed making footwear? I'm going to guess that 500K number is not just PW, but also DR and wherever else AE makes shoes.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing tan suede Strandmok 0.0's today.

P1140359.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, at the Getty Center this morning showing some of the challenges of taking pictures with Greek or Roman statues.

If this picture was taken standing on the other side of this statue, some may have had an attack of the vapours.

P1140387.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a cranberry scone and me at the Getty Center Cafe.

P1140367.jpeg

For those who still want to have an attack of the vapours, my belt doesn't match my shoes.

Orbis881

Reaction score
Wearing tan suede Strandmok 0.0's today.

View attachment 1194176

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, at the Getty Center this morning showing some of the challenges of taking pictures with Greek or Roman statues.

If this picture was taken standing on the other side of this statue, some may have had an attack of the vapours.

View attachment 1194177

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a cranberry scone and me at the Getty Center Cafe.

View attachment 1194178

For those who still want to have an attack of the vapours, my belt doesn't match my shoes.

Those suede brogues are lovely.

I have never seen ancient Roman or Greek statues upclose in real life. I would love to see them like that, without a crowd or having to rush. I would probably be mesmerized for hours.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1/2 a Million shoes per year, that's almost 10K per week, and that is about 1900 a day assuming a 5 day work week. WOW that's a lot of shoes! And assuming only one 8 hour shift, that's around 240 shoes an hour or about 4 a minute? How many people are actually employed making footwear? I'm going to guess that 500K number is not just PW, but also DR and wherever else AE makes shoes.

Yes, I would assume that, that production number is a compilation from all of their sources. Here is an interview I did with Paul Grangaard a few years back. He covers some of the questions being asked here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads