• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

stook1

Reaction score
Just curious, where did you find the Gator PAs? Ebay? Your post prompted me to run my daily scans --- sadly no gator AEs. Now I'm wondering if I skimmed over previous offerings. ;)

Thanks! Both the Jefferson and the Gator Parks I got were both just random dumb luck. Both just randomly appeared and I was lucky to find out about them. The gator Parks are my oldest AE shoe in my collection (guessing from 18-20 years back) so it's interesting to see the subtle changes over the years to the inside of the shoes. I'm still hunting for a pair of AE from 30 years ago, but it's almost impossible to find on Ebay. I want something in new-ish condition.

In regarding the price, I think the Indy shoes eventually go to $177 if they are still available long after they were discontinued. That's the lowest price I've seen them on Shoebank.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, where did you find the Gator PAs? Ebay? Your post prompted me to run my daily scans --- sadly no gator AEs. Now I'm wondering if I skimmed over previous offerings. ;)
In late 2018, there was some kind of warehouse sale where AE was uncovering lots of old stock that for whatever reason was hidden. I believe it had to do with the relocation of the warehouse from Port Washington to Tennessee. I was in touch with Charleston about it and asked that they keep their eyes open for anything rare in my size. I didn't expect they would find anything, but they did ask me if I was interested in these. This was the only pair they found for me, but others were also fortunate to find a few pair of discontinued styles. Keep in mind that some inventory will not show up on shoebank, so it's best to establish a good relationship with your outlet store.

stook1

Reaction score
Ahhhh, gotcha. I've picked up a few things through Ashley as well but nothing quite THAT insane. Excellent pickup! I'm with the other guys that suggest wearing them. Too cool to keep in the closet.

In late 2018, there was some kind of warehouse sale where AE was uncovering lots of old stock that for whatever reason was hidden. I believe it had to do with the relocation of the warehouse from Port Washington to Tennessee. I was in touch with Charleston about it and asked that they keep their eyes open for anything rare in my size. I didn't expect they would find anything, but they did ask me if I was interested in these. This was the only pair they found for me, but others were also fortunate to find a few pair of discontinued styles. Keep in mind that some inventory will not show up on shoebank, so it's best to establish a good relationship with your outlet store.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to Mexico today. Be back tomorrow. Getting a little crazy woman. Mcallister for the trip.
F6592484-3400-4EB3-BA79-5374F467A676.jpeg

Never discount the green tinted shoes.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, gotcha. I've picked up a few things through Ashley as well but nothing quite THAT insane. Excellent pickup! I'm with the other guys that suggest wearing them. Too cool to keep in the closet.
Things like that do pop up on ebay. Also helps to have a few forum friends in similar sizes. @smfdoc found my J&Ms from 1995 worn once. Due to instep differences they were passed along to me so that he could find his Chesters NOS! Ours are both black, but i'd love to have a pair like Profila's. They could pop up tomorrow or six months from now; just gotta have your feelers out and get lucky.
20190429_094013.jpg
20190612_182851.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to get some decent lighting outside, but it wasn't happening in this 3:30 PM California sun. The sun here is always on steroids and it makes the lighting look pretty dull when I tried to capture a pictures of my recent guitar and the Parks. I'm not an expert on lighting, like @AEShoeMan who's shoes often look like edible pastries because the polishing and lighting is so good. I'm still learning how find spots where the lighting is better. Our entrance door often has good lighting, but the spot is so small that there's barely enough room. You can compare below to see how much better both the shoes and guitar look in the doorway lighting.

In regards to the Gator Parks, they are the only pair I feel extra cautious with. It's the only pair I would never be able to replace in the future. They've mostly been in my closet as I prefer not to leave them out on the rack. They are so old that they have little sweat holes in the lining at the toe area. AE must have stopped doing this a long time ago. The lining feels as soft as any of my Indy shoes. The only thing that sucks is the VIP rubber sole. While not a bad rubber option, it takes away from the potential of this shoe. This is one of the few pair I plan to not send to AE to recraft. I'm planning to go with Bedo's, but a new JR sole would cost a minimum of $200. I'm also a little scared to send these in the mail in case something happens to them. I'm in no rush to mail these somewhere. What both these shoes the guitar have in common is that I will not be able to replace either of them in the future.

Outdoor:
View attachment 1192800

Indoor:
View attachment 1192801

Honestly, I've never seen a pair of gator shoes I actually coveted. This blew that away forever - those are stellar! Congrats!

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen gator shoes recently in a couple different listings. I was watching this pair, and not my size (10.5 EE) but found them interesting. It doesn't look like they sold (item #223538560479 if you search completed listings if the link doesn't work), so you may be able to contact the seller and see if they are still available

I have wondered if these are real alligator or not (item #333216142828).

Speaking of "rare leather," wearing the ravello shell longwings from the other American shoemaker today. Have a good one fellas!
20190618_074409.jpg

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things like that do pop up on ebay. Also helps to have a few forum friends in similar sizes. @smfdoc found my J&Ms from 1995 worn once. Due to instep differences they were passed along to me so that he could find his Chesters NOS! Ours are both black, but i'd love to have a pair like Profila's. They could pop up tomorrow or six months from now; just gotta have your feelers out and get lucky.
Those are insane, congratulations!

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen gator shoes recently in a couple different listings. I was watching this pair, and not my size (10.5 EE) but found them interesting. It doesn't look like they sold (item #223538560479 if you search completed listings if the link doesn't work), so you may be able to contact the seller and see if they are still available

I have wondered if these are real alligator or not (item #333216142828).

Speaking of "rare leather," wearing the ravello shell longwings from the other American shoemaker today. Have a good one fellas!
View attachment 1193867

I wonder about the authenticity of these (which for thread relevance are listed on ebay as AE but are not)

crocshoes.jpg

someone should buy them so I don't because I would never wear them

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.