• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah - Gustin is very TTS. My Raleighs are the next waist-size down from my Gustins. You might get 'em down a little tighter wtih a run on Delicate in the dryer...
I can try that, but I don't have a traditional dryer, have an LG washer/dryer combo unit that uses ventless condensing drying, although I can set it for things like more dry, less dry, damp. I have very little to loose by trying, so think I will give it a shot next week. I think I should have ordered 34 Raleigh and it would be fine, not overly un-fine as it is, but they fit a bit like Levi's and not the Gustin's or Brave Star (which for stupid "man-ity" sizing are a 32 for me)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Graduation party.... who says you can’t wear weaves with a suit—no tie!
2E1F2BB5-BA82-4FEC-8D36-459C7FE53AD9.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe the damp setting...
That was the one I was going to use, although EVERYTHING comes out a tiny touch damp, even on more dry setting. We don't care as we hang 99% of stuff anyway. Since the stupid contractor put in a 35 foot dryer run, this is a better option for us than trying to clean a massive dryer vent every year (have a friend who burned down his house due to a dryer fire, so it spooks me)

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was the one I was going to use, although EVERYTHING comes out a tiny touch damp, even on more dry setting. We don't care as we hang 99% of stuff anyway. Since the stupid contractor put in a 35 foot dryer run, this is a better option for us than trying to clean a massive dryer vent every year (have a friend who burned down his house due to a dryer fire, so it spooks me)

Thanks for that post, reminded me I need to stop running my dryer when I’m going to bed. :oops:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photos, p l e a s e!

I tried to get some decent lighting outside, but it wasn't happening in this 3:30 PM California sun. The sun here is always on steroids and it makes the lighting look pretty dull when I tried to capture a pictures of my recent guitar and the Parks. I'm not an expert on lighting, like @AEShoeMan who's shoes often look like edible pastries because the polishing and lighting is so good. I'm still learning how find spots where the lighting is better. Our entrance door often has good lighting, but the spot is so small that there's barely enough room. You can compare below to see how much better both the shoes and guitar look in the doorway lighting.

In regards to the Gator Parks, they are the only pair I feel extra cautious with. It's the only pair I would never be able to replace in the future. They've mostly been in my closet as I prefer not to leave them out on the rack. They are so old that they have little sweat holes in the lining at the toe area. AE must have stopped doing this a long time ago. The lining feels as soft as any of my Indy shoes. The only thing that sucks is the VIP rubber sole. While not a bad rubber option, it takes away from the potential of this shoe. This is one of the few pair I plan to not send to AE to recraft. I'm planning to go with Bedo's, but a new JR sole would cost a minimum of $200. I'm also a little scared to send these in the mail in case something happens to them. I'm in no rush to mail these somewhere. What both these shoes the guitar have in common is that I will not be able to replace either of them in the future.

Outdoor:
20190615_154148_HDR.jpg

Indoor:
20190615_155011_HDR.jpg

Outdoor:
20190615_153827_HDR.jpg

Indoor:
20190615_154447_HDR.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to get some decent lighting outside, but it wasn't happening in this 3:30 PM California sun. The sun here is always on steroids and it makes the lighting look pretty dull when I tried to capture a pictures of my recent guitar and the Parks. I'm not an expert on lighting, like @AEShoeMan who's shoes often look like edible pastries because the polishing and lighting is so good. I'm still learning how find spots where the lighting is better. Our entrance door often has good lighting, but the spot is so small that there's barely enough room. You can compare below to see how much better both the shoes and guitar look in the doorway lighting.

In regards to the Gator Parks, they are the only pair I feel extra cautious with. It's the only pair I would never be able to replace in the future. They've mostly been in my closet as I prefer not to leave them out on the rack. They are so old that they have little sweat holes in the lining at the toe area. AE must have stopped doing this a long time ago. The lining feels as soft as any of my Indy shoes. The only thing that sucks is the VIP rubber sole. While not a bad rubber option, it takes away from the potential of this shoe. This is one of the few pair I plan to not send to AE to recraft. I'm planning to go with Bedo's, but a new JR sole would cost a minimum of $200. I'm also a little scared to send these in the mail in case something happens to them. I'm in no rush to mail these somewhere. What both these shoes the guitar have in common is that I will not be able to replace either of them in the future.

Outdoor:
View attachment 1192800

Indoor:
View attachment 1192801

Hoo boy those are amazing!! Dig those knurled telecaster knobs! \m/

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Outdoor:
View attachment 1192800

Indoor:
View attachment 1192801

Beautiful!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Outdoor:
View attachment 1192800

Indoor:
View attachment 1192801

Those are white-hot!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So let’s talk about bad lighting for shoe Appreciation.
AC2E1111-E43B-4A8F-ABF3-128F85C24405.jpeg
9873F3A3-5B04-4E1B-999E-C41F565AEC89.jpeg

Loden Strand which I like a lot but they get less wear. @Thomas Crown posted similar recently.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Outdoor:
View attachment 1192800

Indoor:
View attachment 1192801

I totally love these, especially the color. I understand your fear of losing them, but don't forget they are just shoes. Treating them like a meusem piece (or Ferrari) cheats them and you of their intended purpose. Just make sure you wear them! Maybe they can't be replaced easily, but better to loved and lost right?
I'm in a similar boat with my J&M gators that were MTO'ed in 95. I wear them like any other pair.
TL: DR wear and post pics more so wer can enjoy them too!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best Deal Ever?
That’s tough. I think I might have to go with the HM tumbled brown. I had a pair made with a lug sole and contrast stitching, which I wear a lot.
When they made that pair, they had to start over because the first pair didn’t pass the QC inspection. We tracked down that first pair. As an MTO second, it was $99. And since it was my first order after the “collectors” thing, they automatically subtracted 15% without even asking.
They looked acceptable when they arrived (not as nice as the first quality pair). Once I confirmed that they fit, I immediately dyed the back section black, giving me that black/brown pair.
I wear these a lot as well.

I actually ended up wearing the black & brown pair tonight.

9054915B-A2BE-4FA6-A069-88B43F3ED4B9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads