• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reality meaning there are none?
Meaning I paid full MTO price, the finishing isn't perfect, and I don't wear them as often as I expected. Still love them, just can't call them a great deal. 0.41 wears per month owned; 1.0 is the bench mark for a higher wear shoe in my spreadsheet. :D
20190203_103836.jpg
20190110_102948.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Schautal

5B1205D2-4E40-4AA0-A90D-3A6BF65D8AB8.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My best deal ever were alligator Chesters. I found these on eBay as new old stock. Never been worn. They we’re available only as made to order in 2004 at the extreme price of $2400. I thought the $600 I paid was the best deal ever.

59F3CB48-F274-44D3-BAF0-6020F8AC4818.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My best deal ever were alligator Chesters. I found these on eBay as new old stock. Never been worn. They we’re available only as made to order in 2004 at the extreme price of $2400. I thought the $600 I paid was the best deal ever.

View attachment 1192625
Hellava consolation prize when the J&Ms didn't work out!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of deals can you guys actually figure out your best deal ever from AE? I am having a very hard time with my Best Deal Ever. At this point my BDE might be a shoe that I paid full price. But I still consider it a deal as it was less than the other guys price and the shoe gives me ultimate enjoyment. How would you frame your BDE?

Gator Park Aves - $345
University Dark Chili - $133
Park Ave Oxblood - $84 (later sold these because they were too redundant)
Jefferson $177

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mass Drop/Raleigh Denim arrived today. First thing is the cool hip bone thing isn't on the inside of the pocket, just a MassDrop X Raleigh logo and signatures of the Raleigh owners. Construction of the jeans seems to be very good, button holes for fly are almost too small for the buttons, which is a pain early on, but good later. I don't remember if they are sanforized or not, if not they will fit perfectly after soak, if they are I should have gone down a size, but they are still wearable. Of course, like 99% of the smaller jeans companies, they are about 6 inches too long so I either have to roll, or have them hemmed. Like the color of the denim, and they will go well with my AE's (keeping it somewhat on track)
Did you order the waist TTS?

They're almost certainly sanforized. I notice mine tighten a bit after a soak but stretch back out, though I will them straight out without either. What's your typical wash/dry strategy?

As far as the hem, roll and then get it done at the shop when you come visit ;)

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best deal ever? $20 vintage golden Nunn Bush Longwings. They cleaned up nicely.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best Deal Ever (“BDE”) was probably when I got my MTO Dublin Long Branches (a near replica of the famous GMTO version) right before the MTO program was terminated (er ... maybe a bit after ... ahem ... the program was terminated).

The MTO fee was waived and a certain famous SA just might have noticed the regular LB’s were on sale that week so ... I may have gotten the sales price on the MTO.

The other BDE was back before Shoebank offerings were on a web site. You called and they would email a list of stock in your size. Kirsten sent me a list from time to time and I kept noticing a shoe in my size listed by only a model number instead of a name for (I think) $199. So I called. She said it was a McGraw loafer in truffle shell. Insta-buy.

RMB35

Reaction score
Suede trunk show?
CXL trunk show?
Football grain options?

I really had hoped to hear some sort of positive news on this by now. Right now it just seems like wishes and ideas.

I really wanted some football grain — especially a Higgins Mill. Since I hadn’t heard anything that confirms a trunk show is happening, or whether football grained leather will be an option, I started looking at those brown grain Boulevards. I put them in my cart, but was waiting and hoping to hear about a trunk show. It was the clearance price on those Boulevards that sealed the deal for me.
Every time I see discussion of football leather I feel obligated to beg for the return of the Promontory Point. The second picture was taken from the MTO thread.
405BE5F7-0AD3-4B31-9176-586883CF0F83.png

2AC3AB5E-939B-4BEE-B29F-3632CF998E4C.png

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you order the waist TTS?

They're almost certainly sanforized. I notice mine tighten a bit after a soak but stretch back out, though I will them straight out without either. What's your typical wash/dry strategy?

As far as the hem, roll and then get it done at the shop when you come visit ;)
I ordered waist based on Gustin waist size (shot in the dark so to speak) Typical wash/dry for Jeans is wash in machine - warm, then hang to dry.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered waist based on Gustin waist size (shot in the dark so to speak) Typical wash/dry for Jeans is wash in machine - warm, then hang to dry.
Yeah - Gustin is very TTS. My Raleighs are the next waist-size down from my Gustins. You might get 'em down a little tighter wtih a run on Delicate in the dryer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads